SL 5x5-whose doing it, how long, etc

Options
mrau719
mrau719 Posts: 288 Member
Like the title says--whose following the strong lifts 5x5 program? I need a new weight routine. The one I'm doing now I've been doing too long and it takes forever to get done-making me lose all motivation.

What do you like about the 5x5? How long have you been doing it and what results have you seen so far??

Thank you!

Replies

• LoveLiveLift
    LoveLiveLift Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I just started doing Stronglifts about a month ago. I like it because it's simple, not time-consuming, and it's effective. So far, the results have been strength-based PRs. My deads are up to 165 lbs now. There's also a great SL 5x5 group for women on here that you might want to check out.
  • winetoweights
    winetoweights Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I'm on day 4! So far, no big gains yet, but am really getting to focus on form on squats/deadlifts, while work my weights up on the presses!
    I like it for the same reason Beck said: simple, not much to think about, doesn't take up a lot of time. You know exactly what weights to use and when, and also the spreadsheet (or app) will calculate what weight to do next if you fail a set.
  • mrau719
    Options
    Awesome! Glad to hear you both like it!!
  • LoveLiveLift
    LoveLiveLift Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Bump! I know there are more of you out there!
  • mrau719
    Options
    Yes! There has to be more of you! I'm thinking of trying to start it out today so any and all opinions and experiences welcome :)
  • DaveRCF
    DaveRCF Posts: 266
    Options
    I started in April, but admitedly I haven't been able to stick with 3X per week so although I am still on a linear progression, it has come in fits and starts.

One thing I would note is that it really pays to start off with just the bar and really focus on form. Video yourself. Read about the correct lifting techniques (Rippetoe's Starting Strength is the go-to, and it is available in e-book form). Also, you will find, once you get through the newb strength gain period, that you will have trouble getting stronger if you don't eat at a calorie surplus. Finally, as the weight gets heavier, recovery may pose an issue. Instead of reducing workouts per week, consider going to 3X5 on your working sets. It has helped me to reduce volume a bit.

Good luck and enjoy.
  • mrau719
    Options
    I started in April, but admitedly I haven't been able to stick with 3X per week so although I am still on a linear progression, it has come in fits and starts.

One thing I would note is that it really pays to start off with just the bar and really focus on form. Video yourself. Read about the correct lifting techniques (Rippetoe's Starting Strength is the go-to, and it is available in e-book form). Also, you will find, once you get through the newb strength gain period, that you will have trouble getting stronger if you don't eat at a calorie surplus. Finally, as the weight gets heavier, recovery may pose an issue. Instead of reducing workouts per week, consider going to 3X5 on your working sets. It has helped me to reduce volume a bit.

Good luck and enjoy.

Thanks! These are good points to keep in mind. I've been doing weights, just really need a new workout as mine has gotten so stale I'm starting to go opposite direction, b/c of lack of motivation. I'm definitely considering just the bar with the overhead press as I've never done that before.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    I've been doing it for 9 weeks. This is the first time I've lifted in almost 20 years so I was really starting over from scratch. I like the program a lot. I like the simplicity. Starting out the workouts were about 25 minutes but now they're up to 45 minutes or more with the warm-up sets.

I started having a lot of trouble with squats after about 5 or 6 weeks. I also run three times a week so I think my legs just weren't getting any recovery. I've cut the squats down to 3x5 and that has helped a lot.

I'll start training for my first half marathon in about three weeks and at that point I think I'm going to cut the Stronglifts down to twice a week. I'll keep adding weight each workout for the time being but I don't know how long that will last. In the spring I plan to hit the weights again hard and cut back on the running a little bit.

Good luck with it!
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    I'm running Bill Starr's 5x5, which would be pretty similar. 3 weeks into it, but previously ran 5/3/1 (a cookie cutter program like 5x5) for 9 months.

What I like:
    I like it because it doesn't require much assistance work. I hit 3 compound lifts, then if I need to be done, I can be done.
    Squatting 3x a week seems to really be helping my form.
    You hit a PR every week.

What I don't like:
    I think you're bound to hit a wall after 6-8 weeks with the program.
    I think the program is set up to overtrain you to an extent, because you're working at weights over 90% on a regular basis.

I think it's a pretty solid program to start with. Run it a few times, then move onto 5/3/1 if you're looking to be stronger.
    I reccommend doing this program while bulking, you need to be eating enough to recover.
  • akjmart2002
    akjmart2002 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I've been following SL 5x5 since March. I'm almost at my first wall in most of the lifts, so I'll be deloading soon.

It's great, honestly. My only problem is that I think I'm prematurely failing due to my coincident diet. I'm still trying to lose weight, so I'm probably hampering my strength gains by running a caloric deficit. Nonetheless, I have had nothing but positives come from following the plan.