Frozen Meals

Options
How bad are frozen meals for you (lean cuisine, healthy choice, etc.) I was at the supermarket today and quite a few of them looked good and were low cal, but my mom said they were basically full of crap and bad for me. They seem like an easy way to stay on target for an occasional quick meal.
What's so bad about them? Do any of you ever make them?

Replies

• KarenAnnne
    KarenAnnne Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    If I am ever tempted, I simply turn them over and "try" to read the list of ingredients. 3/4s of the words I can't even pronounce much less speculate what they are. Also, the sodium is usually off the charts. I am a teaching assistant so I see faculty members heat these up in the microwave all the time, but they are just not for me.
  • manu25
    manu25 Posts: 14
    Options
    I"m not a nutritionist of any kind but ... those meals are 1) full of sodium, 2) full of simple carb that will not make you full for a long time and have very little protein (3 little piece of chicken is probably not enough. I used to eat them all the time as a way to lose weight and I never lost anything because I was starving a few hours later and kept eating the rest of the day. I did find that they are good to learn what is a reasonable food portion. I now make a wrap every day with chicken and vegetable.
  • 1960HikerDude
    1960HikerDude Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I stopped eating them due to the high sodium content.
  • RuthSweetTooth
    RuthSweetTooth Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    They are a good occasional option but since they are high in salt, you'll need to be sure that you don't have anything with sodium for breakfast. Always add something fresh (fruit or veg) or you will get that "I'm living out of food from a box." They're not real satisfying but sure are better than nothing.
  • GnochhiGnomes
    GnochhiGnomes Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Most of them look fine, sure they have a few preservatives but meh. Also the ones that I get aren't high in sodium so I guess I'm just lucky with that.
  • bhankiii
    bhankiii Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    The only good ones I know of are Amy's. Read the ingredients.
  • healthychanges1
    Options
    How important is it to watch sodium for someone with no health problems? It's not one of the nutrients I actively pay attention to. Should I be?
  • kimi131
    kimi131 Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I eat them frequently. I know they are not the best choice, but with only 30 minutes for lunch and long hours at work, I'm a grab and go kinda girl.
  • Tammy518
    Tammy518 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    They are low in calories but the other "nutrition" is bad. The carbs and sodium in any of them are horribly outrageous, which all turn to sugar and cause water retention, respectively. Not to mention they are all highly processed and full of preservatives which are bad for you.

I would steer clear of eating too many prepackaged meals and do more fresh veggies and fruits. Just my opinion of course but I hope this helps.
  • cmeade20
    cmeade20 Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    They aren't very filling and satisfying. 300 calories of grilled chicken or fish and veggies will probably fill you up more.
  • manu25
    manu25 Posts: 14
    Options
    Sodium is a silent killer! It can affect blood pressure and can cause heart problem and stroke. You will not see the effect of too much sodium in your body until it's too late.
  • CynthiasChoice
    CynthiasChoice Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    Listen to your mama!! There's all kinds of things wrong with frozen dinners. MSG is almost always in them, even though your don't see "MSG" on the label. It's disguised as "seasonings" or "spices" or "flavorings" or "Hydrolyzed vegetable protein." Anything hydrolyzed or autolyzed is MSG.

If you don't react to MSG, you probably aren't aware of how harmful it is to your brain. AND it's an appetite stimulant. Something you really don't want right now!!

You have to develop your own list of favorite foods that are quick and easy to prepare on the go. I like a sprouted grain tortilla spread with hummas and packed with organic lettuce.
  • jessimom
    jessimom Posts: 29
    Options
    I eat these for dinner a lot with two small kids and eating late at night. I don't feel hungry later and am loosing weight. If you want a different choice try Kashi since they have different grains and things. They aren't loadeded with carbs ... I wish :) some of the leane cuisine are also made with potato or sweet potato with sauce instead of pasta. I agree about preservatives to a point, but since I eat fresh stuff the rest of the day I don't worry too much. Unless you cook 100 percent of you meals (cereal and bread, etc.) I doubt you are going to be completely preservative free when shopping ... It is better to aim for a bunch of different colors in your food everyday (neutraceuticals) and probably easier to maintain long term
  • Carri1
    Carri1 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I buy the WW lasagna sometimes. I eat those just if I am out of steam to cook much else. It's better than most fast food and yes the sodium could be lower but as a sometimes it's ok. I wouldn't make those my main meals. Just in a pinch nice to have on hand.
  • AlmstHvn
    AlmstHvn Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I think it's a valid option. What do you do now?

I used to go out for lunch every workday and get a big meal. Now I stay in and eat Healthy Choice, Amys brand, or Lean Cuisine, and I often supplement them with fresh fruits and veggies. My lunch budget dropped from $70-$90 a week to $20-$25 and my lunch hour shortened from 60-80 minutes out of office to 20-30 minutes in office. The biggest plus for me was to seriously reduce the quantity of food I was eating.

Read the labels, check different brands, and try a few with some extra fruit/veg. You don't have to commit to using them forever and it could be a very helpful stepping stone to more "clean" eating, should you choose to follow that path.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    How important is it to watch sodium for someone with no health problems? It's not one of the nutrients I actively pay attention to. Should I be?

Even though you ultimately should get this advice from a doctor and a nutritionist, and not us, sodium CAN be a silent killer... but sodium is generally not a concern for most of the population (yes, even in obese America). The big issue with sodium for someone trying to lose weight is the bloat factor, as excess sodium will help you retain water.

Know that TOO low sodium (for someone that's does have sodium issues, or BP, heart, etc. issues) is also bad. I pipe in because my doctors have recommended I up my sodium intake, and since I have no thyroid, I never have enough iodine in my system as it is.

Just saying... everyone's different. ;)
  • MENichols5
    MENichols5 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    They definitely aren't the best option nutritionally but I think if you eat one every once and a while to stay on track you will be fine! I eat them because it is easy to grab when I am stressed and busy but I try not to too often because I bloat easily and they do have a of sodium like others have said :ohwell:

Anyways, every once and a while won't hurt you but fresh is always better of course (and more filling) :smile:
  • claire7090
    claire7090 Posts: 67
    Options
    I don't eat them any more - gave that up when I read the back of the pack!

I do however always have a stock of 'ready meals' in the freezer as now if I make, for example, a cottage pie or a casserole I make more than I need and package it up in individual foil containers, then if I am short of time I just get one out and put it in the oven to cook. I know what is in those meals!