Eating after a evening workout

Options
I'm having to start working out in the evenings starting today because my husband got a new job working days instead of evenings.

Before, I would go do my workout mid-morning and then eat lunch right afterwards. I'm pretty hungry when I'm done with any workout and since starting the C25K program, I've been burning between 300-500 calories by the time I'm done with running and any other strength training and additional cardio I've done. So I feel justified in having something to eat after a workout like that. If it's not lunch time, I usually will eat a snack like a non-fat greek yogurt with fruit on the bottom or a salad or something light.

I know you're not supposed to eat after a certain time in the evenings but what about when you work out in the evenings and then are starving and want something to eat afterwards? Should you not eat and just go to bed hungry? Is a healthy snack ok? I didn't really have dinner today (ate a Cliff bar around 6:15, about 30 minutes before heading out to workout) and got home after 8 from my workout, took a shower and was FAMISHED! I just ate three taquitos because it's what I had on hand right now and it sounded so good! Now I feel guilty for eating this late and feel like I might have screwed up my work out.

I need some insight and help on this so I can do this right. I don't want to be working out for nothing if my eating after my workouts is slowing down the effectiveness of my work out.

Ideas? Should I eat dinner and go workout later so that by the time I come home it's shower and bedtime already? I'm not used to doing the late night workout so that doesn't sound appealing to me right now but I'm willing to do it if that's what the better option is. HELP!

Replies

• lolly2721
    lolly2721 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I say go ahead and eat in the evenings. My schedule is hectic with work, working out, kids and their schedules and such. We eat when we get home and sometimes that isn't until after 8:00. We just don't eat heavy meals at dinnertime. Our biggest meals are breakfast and lunch so that helps.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I'm having to start working out in the evenings starting today because my husband got a new job working days instead of evenings.

Before, I would go do my workout mid-morning and then eat lunch right afterwards. I'm pretty hungry when I'm done with any workout and since starting the C25K program, I've been burning between 300-500 calories by the time I'm done with running and any other strength training and additional cardio I've done. So I feel justified in having something to eat after a workout like that. If it's not lunch time, I usually will eat a snack like a non-fat greek yogurt with fruit on the bottom or a salad or something light.

I know you're not supposed to eat after a certain time in the evenings but what about when you work out in the evenings and then are starving and want something to eat afterwards? Should you not eat and just go to bed hungry? Is a healthy snack ok? I didn't really have dinner today (ate a Cliff bar around 6:15, about 30 minutes before heading out to workout) and got home after 8 from my workout, took a shower and was FAMISHED! I just ate three taquitos because it's what I had on hand right now and it sounded so good! Now I feel guilty for eating this late and feel like I might have screwed up my work out.

I need some insight and help on this so I can do this right. I don't want to be working out for nothing if my eating after my workouts is slowing down the effectiveness of my work out.

Ideas? Should I eat dinner and go workout later so that by the time I come home it's shower and bedtime already? I'm not used to doing the late night workout so that doesn't sound appealing to me right now but I'm willing to do it if that's what the better option is. HELP!

There is no arbitrary cutoff time when you can't eat after, eat whatever you'd like whenever you'd like, while maintaining a caloric deficit and profit
  • lyndall5311
    lyndall5311 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I normally work out in the evening (anywhere between 6-9pm depending on kids), and I always eat something after working out, anything from fruit, yoghurt, protein drink or even dinner.

Who said you cant eat after a certain time? If Im hungry, Im going to eat, so it could be 9.30pm when Im eating, it hasnt stopped my weight loss.
  • RuthSweetTooth
    RuthSweetTooth Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Have yourself a healthy dessert like the one in my diary, put your feet up and be proud you worked out.

Ruth
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter what-so-ever what time of day you eat. I eat every day after an evening workout.
  • Thor2020
    Thor2020 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

There is no arbitrary cutoff time when you can't eat after, eat whatever you'd like whenever you'd like, while maintaining a caloric deficit and profit
    [/quote]

I second that.
  • hamptons903
    Options
    I think the important thing is to try to avoid eating 1-2 hours before you go to sleep. Like you, I'm often starting after my evening workouts, and you won't be able to rest well on a hungry stomach. I would have a small healthy snack after your workouts and don't feel a bit guilty about it! Just keep tracking!
  • stepher80
    stepher80 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the quick responses! I feel much better! I've read in some health articles (probably fitness magazines) and also from friends who work out and have successfully lost weight, that you shouldn't eat after dinner (felt like it was implied that it's around 7pm-ish) so your body isn't adding calories to burn while you are sleeping or something. I guess it's not as big of a deal as I thought! It's just been gnawing at me for a long time and I've felt paranoid about eating too late in the evening. One less thing to stress about!
  • sjweld
    sjweld Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I lost all my weight while eating 1/2 cup of regular (not low fat) ice cream 4 or 5 nights a week (9:30 or 10:00 p.m.). I make healthy choices throughout the day, go on several walks and am otherwise fairly active. If I have calories left, I'll eat. May not work for everyone but it has certainly worked for me!
  • LowcarbNY
    LowcarbNY Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    I know you're not supposed to eat after a certain time in the evenings

Who said that? The same guy who said "Breakfast is the most important meal of the day" ?

I play tennis after work, don't get home til 8:30pm , I'm luck to prepare and eat dinner by 10 pm. OH, btw, I eat almost ALL of my daily calories at this time.

Have lost 36 lbs this way in 70 days

What's the alternative? Not working out? How could that be better?
  • winf
    winf Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    Eat whatever time you want. Your metabolism doesn't know what time it is. A nutrient rich bedtime snack gives you body raw material to make repairs with while you sleep.
  • SomeoneSomeplace
    SomeoneSomeplace Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    DId you know in Korea they think leaving your fan on all night can kill you? I mean it's like a widely accepted "fact" amongst educated people.

This " Can't eat before bed, in evenings, past 7 PM, after dinner" etc, is exactly like that.
  • jsidel126
    jsidel126 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    As long as the calories are in your daily calorie budget, you can eat them whenever you like. If you eating at a deficit, it should not matter....

I don't like eating anything big before a run. I have a light snack before an evening workout and then eat something afterward.
  • cmeade20
    cmeade20 Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    I just had supper at 10 PM. And I'll probably have something else to eat before bed. The whole not eating after a certain time thing is crap.
  • stepher80
    Options

Who said that? The same guy who said "Breakfast is the most important meal of the day" ?

I play tennis after work, don't get home til 8:30pm , I'm luck to prepare and eat dinner by 10 pm. OH, btw, I eat almost ALL of my daily calories at this time.

Not working out was not an alternative for me. I was going to work out later and eat earlier. But now I'm not worried about it. Apparently I'm doofus. ;)
  • stepher80
    Options
    DId you know in Korea they think leaving your fan on all night can kill you? I mean it's like a widely accepted "fact" amongst educated people.

This " Can't eat before bed, in evenings, past 7 PM, after dinner" etc, is exactly like that.

I think I believed it because so many people I know who have lost weight said that this was their "big secret".

That's funny about the fan thing in Korea. Sounds like Brazilians who think swimming after you eat will kill you or cause you to drown and that you cannot drink cold beverages after working out or being hot because your body will go into shock! lol. I grew up hearing some pretty funny things...
  • jibbala
    jibbala Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I have never followed any type of plan that does not allow for eating after a certain hour. I lost 40 lbs eating very late dinners because I had no other choice. I cant imagine working out and then not being able to eat after and skipping dinner. By all means...eat when you can. As long as its within appropriate calories...eating after dinner COULD put you over your deficit. But if its not there is no problem with it at all!
  • Nataliaho
    Nataliaho Posts: 878 Member
    Options

Not working out was not an alternative for me. I was going to work out later and eat earlier. But now I'm not worried about it. Apparently I'm doofus. ;)

You're not a doofus, these myths are so widely spread that it's no wonder we believe them. I mindlessly believed this one too up until a couple of years ago. I look back now and think, well derrrr, its obviously totally illogical.
  • c3jaam
    c3jaam Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I usually work out late, (9pm or after) and I usually eat. I wondered as well if it was bad, as I had heard it was.
    Good to read all the feedback.
  • judybrim
    judybrim Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    No you're not a doofus! You're just learning like the rest of us! And from everything I've read, heard and done: it doesn't matter what time you eat. Just make sure you're working off more than you're eating in a day. If eating small or large amounts before bed doesn't bother your quality of sleep then go ahead. Just monitor your own body! Great job getting your workouts in! Keep it up! :D