Belly fat-Killing foods

Options

Replies

• freerange
    freerange Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    look up cortisol, to many people take the "you can't spot lose" from exercise, which is true, but there is a ton of research showing cortisol does cause "belly fat" and if you can lower the cortisol (thru diet) you can lose "belly fat"

Educate yourself before making statements you are not qualified to make.

Did you not read the entire post? -- She was ASKING about this list, not posting it as a list to follow. Honestly.

No kidding? wow, maybe that is why I advised her to look up cortisol. Honestly.
  • freerange
    freerange Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    look up cortisol, to many people take the "you can't spot lose" from exercise, which is true, but there is a ton of research showing cortisol does cause "belly fat" and if you can lower the cortisol (thru diet) you can lose "belly fat"

I'm looking up any scientific studies about this and I'm not seeing any. What reputable, peer-reviewed medical journals are these cortisol and belly fat studies published in?

Really, you posted, what 5 mins after I did, look harder
  • rhondawparker
    rhondawparker Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • PKRiggs
    PKRiggs Posts: 5
    Options
    I think I read olive oil is bad only if you overheat it. Light olive oil is better for cooking.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options

I'm looking up any scientific studies about this and I'm not seeing any. What reputable, peer-reviewed medical journals are these cortisol and belly fat studies published in?
    I am pretty sure i heard something about this from Dr. Oz

I don't think Dr. Oz has published anything in the New England Journal of Medicine or any other scientific journal. He is a TV entertainer and huckster of products for which he earns a profit. I'm asking about genuine scientific studies. You know, science. . . that involves valid experiments with large groups of people with control groups and published results.
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options

alright you two...there is only one way to settle this.

DANCE OFF!!!

zoolander_18.jpg
  • Lilie555
    Lilie555 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Ok.. HERE IS WHY...

1. Avocados: These little suckers are loaded with two
    nutrients that are KEY to killing belly fat: hungercrushing
    fiber (11 to 17 grams per avocado!), and
    monounsaturated fats, which studies have shown to
    actually “spot reduce” belly fat. Zowie!
    2. Peanut Butter: Okay, not just peanut butter, but
    mostly any seeds and nuts (these are the best):
    pistachios, walnuts, almonds (or almond butter),
    pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, and flax seeds.
    Why? They keep you full and satisfied for long
    periods of time, and they’re stuffed with healthy, belly-burning fats and minerals.
    3. Crisco: KIDDING! Just seeing if you were paying attention. That stuff is deadly. Healthy
    oils like olive oil, coconut oil and brand names like Udo’s Oil and Barlean’s Oil (I like the
    swirl flavors) actually help you burn fat by supplying healthy oils your body needs to burn
    body blubber.
    4. These Veggies: I’ve got to thank my buddy Mike Geary for this one. Turns out certain
    vegetables such as broccoli, cauliflower, brussel sprouts, kale, and cabbage contain
    special phytonutrients, such as indole-3-carbinol (I3C), which help to fight against
    environmental estrogens that can add belly fat. Mom was right…eat your veggies!
    5. Omelets: Eggs aren’t bad, they’re nutrient-dense and loaded with belly-burning protein,
    vitamins B6, B12, A, D, E, and K, folate, choline, lutein, calcium, iron, phosphorus, zinc,
    and omega-3 fatty acids. Plus, they keep you full for long periods of time. Choose eggs
    that come from free-range chickens. You’ll get more healthy nutrients.
    6. Dark Chocolate: That is not a typo. Dark chocolate is loaded with antioxidants (nearly
    eight times the number found in strawberries) and it contains stimulants that can have a
    positive effect on fat burning, including theobromine and caffeine. It also contains a nice
    dose of oleic acid, which is a monounsaturated fat. Make sure to choose the 78% or
    higher cocoa levels for best results.
    7. Oatmeal: Packed with fiber and whole-grain goodness, you can’t go wrong. Just be sure
    to avoid the processed, high-sugar junk out there and stick to slow-cook oats. Add a dash
    of cinnamon, some walnuts, berries, and a natural sweetener to taste. BAM! Good stuff.
    11 Get The Complete Belly Fat Free Program at BellyFatFree.com/quicktips/
    8. Green Tea: Not only does it contain a potent antioxidant, many scientific studies have
    linked green tea to increased fat burning, including a report in the American Journal of
    Clinical Nutrition that found green tea extract boosted the daytime metabolism of test
    subjects by 35- 43%.
    9. Beans: Black beans, navy beans, refried beans, and lima beans all have 6 or more grams
    of fiber per ½ cup. Fiber can clean your system of pounds of “toxic waste” and reduce
    your belly bulge in a big way. (See “Sneaky Trick #5” for details.)
    10. Berries: Strawberries, raspberries and blackberries are loaded with fiber (which slows
    sugar absorption), and they’re packed with vitamins that can fight cravings (cravings can
    come from vitamin deficiencies).
    11. Cinnamon: Researchers have found that cinnamon contains a type of antioxidant that
    increases insulin sensitivity and effectively helps to stabilize blood sugar. Bottom line…
    you’ll store less belly fat.
    12. Chili Peppers: Studies have shown that the active ingredient in chili peppers and powder,
    something called capsaicin, increases calorie-burning, stabilizes blood sugar levels (which
    decreases fat storage), and is a potent antioxidant. Add some of this “spice” to your life.
    13. Yogurt: Most regular yogurt is bad for your belly. It’s loaded with belly-bulging sugar (real
    or artificial) that you want to avoid it. However, Greek yogurts like Stoneyfield Farms Oikos
    Greek Yogurt (plain) are loaded with probiotics that fight belly bulge. (See “Sneaky Trick
    #6.”)
    14. Wild Salmon: Hands-down one of the best belly-blasting foods because of its protein and
    high omega-3 fatty acid content. This is like a “double shotgun approach” to killing belly
    fat. Many people are deficient in omega-3s and when they add them to their diet the fat
    can really start coming off.
    15. Giant Turkey Legs: You got me. I’m pulling your leg. (Get it?) I’m not just talking about
    turkey meat (white preferred), but any lean protein source is a good belly-blasting food.
    This includes wild salmon, free-range chicken, whey protein powders, and most especially
    grass-fed beef because it contains natural CLA—a fat that studies have actually shown to
    burn fat. The interesting thing about protein is your body will burn off as much as 30% of
    its calories after you eat it. Read the next trick for details…
  • SherryTeach
    Options
    Yes, I see stuff on the Internet about it but that doesn't make it valid science. Nothing I have read looks like proven research to me. Cite the source. I'm a teacher. I like facts.
  • SherryTeach
    Options
    And yes, I agree that all those foods are high in nutrient value and important to a healthy diet and can promote general weight loss. What I don't see proven by any study is that when you lose weight, it can be targeted to come off of any particular place on your body.
  • rcclcruiser
    rcclcruiser Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I have heard this too; I eat most of these foods on a regular basis and it hasn't changed the size of my belly. The only thing that seems to work is exercising an hour EVERY day and eating a lot of fruit and veggies.
  • sudhama1447
    sudhama1447 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    yup. agree !
  • brimarie95
    brimarie95 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I saw Jillian Micheals do an interview somewhere where she talked about foods that helped reduce belly fat and many of these foods were ones she talked about. I am trying to find it now so I can add the url.
  • wackyfunster
    wackyfunster Posts: 944 Member
    Options

I am pretty sure i heard something about this from Dr. Oz

I don't think Dr. Oz has published anything in the New England Journal of Medicine or any other scientific journal. He is a TV entertainer and huckster of products for which he earns a profit. I'm asking about genuine scientific studies. You know, science. . . that involves valid experiments with large groups of people with control groups and published results.
    I was being sarcastic
  • prettygirlhoward
    prettygirlhoward Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    hmmm?....... I'm interested in this bump!
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • jazzylopez
    jazzylopez Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    bump
  • wackyfunster
    wackyfunster Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    Yes, I see stuff on the Internet about it but that doesn't make it valid science. Nothing I have read looks like proven research to me. Cite the source. I'm a teacher. I like facts.
    Human nature apparently is such that people would rather believe ludicrously convoluted and barely-credible nonsense before believing that weight loss really just boils down to maintaining a caloric deficit.

Regarding targeted fat loss, the only thing that even approaches this is in individuals with minimal free fatty acids available in the bloodstream (<8-10% body fat for men, <15-18% for women), loss in "problem areas" (typically abdominal and lower back region for men, hips and thighs for women) can be accelerated by taking alpha-2 adrenal antagonists. While this may provide the net effect of targeted fat loss, it is really just inhibiting the inhibition of fat loss from those regions, allowing fat there to be lost at a more 'normal' rate. It has to do with the ratio of alpha-1 (which stimulate fat loss) to alpha-2 (which inhibit fat loss) adrenergic receptors in 'problem' areas.
  • hiker359
    hiker359 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Sounds like the kind of **** Dr. Oz peddles. Yes, those are healthy foods, but eating too much of them will keep you fat just like anything else. Eat well, play hard, and barring some unforeseen circumstance, live long!
  • alexis831
    alexis831 Posts: 469 Member
    Options

alright you two...there is only one way to settle this.

DANCE OFF!!!

zoolander_18.jpg

Its a walk off!
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    eat something because you LIKE it, not because someones brothers nephews cousin said it 'makes you lose fat'