ever log sitting hours?

I used to use a Bodybug. It had me burning far more calories than anything on MFP does. I was burning 540-675 calories while at work. I dont count that here...but should I add it to my acticvity? I would not aim to eat this back...I figured it may give me a better sense of what Im burning overall every day....

Replies

• whiskeycharged
    whiskeycharged Posts: 400 Member
    Hmm sitting hours you say? I do that 10 hours a day 4x a week @ work. I thought that just fell under the sedentary category you can choose in your MFP fitness profile.
  • Try figuring your daily metabolic rate using a calculator online, thats how I set my net calorie goal? But sitting = sedentary so I would not count that unless you are always running errands at work!
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    I only count 'on purpose' exercise, that gets my heart rate UP. If activies are fairly sedentary (sitting, talking, driving, taking a shower)- or if activity that is part of normal, daily housework ,then I don't count it/log it as my activity.
    Just being alive burns calories.
  • jibbala
    jibbala Posts: 76 Member
    Im a therapist and I work with kids...sometimes Im up and about, other days its a sit in the chair and deal with sobbing teenagers and manage the crisis day.
  • still_crafty
    still_crafty Posts: 692 Member
    *rolls eyes and leaves*
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    no.
  • cobracars
    cobracars Posts: 949 Member
    um, no.

I recently got a FitBit and its telling me I'm burning 2600 - 3200 calories per day. So I'm aiming for 1600 calories to consume every day. Some days FitBit tells me I've earned 800 extra calories but no way am I eating that many calories back. I'm doing just fine on 1600 per day. No need to log 'sitting'.
  • heather1945
    heather1945 Posts: 117 Member
    No - you're daily calorie allowance should be set to your life-style...e.g. sedentary, looking after children,,etc.
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Those aren't exercise calories, just the calories you burned during regular activity.

Of course you shouldn't log it...
  • LosingMyMarbles
    LosingMyMarbles Posts: 168 Member
    Right, and MFP has already taken that into consideration when they give you your calorie totals. That's why they want to know if you are sedentary, etc. I recently got a Fitbit and it is a bit of a change to get used to.
  • Jennyisbusy
    Jennyisbusy Posts: 1,294 Member
    Bodybugg figures in all the calories you need to stay alive as well as your activity.
    My fitnesspal assumes you are alive and will do a certain amount of activity a day (you choose an activity level when you set your goal) you would only need to log above that level. :wink:
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    *rolls eyes and leaves*

In case she didn't roll them enough. Let me do it again. :noway: :angry:
  • ToughTulip
    ToughTulip Posts: 1,118 Member
    If your Bodybugg gives you a higher TDEE than what mfp estimates, then I just log the difference as "TDEE adjustment"
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    um.

what?

i think i misclicked somewhere.
  • jayliospecky
    jayliospecky Posts: 25,022 Member
    If your average daily burn (TDEE, essentially) was higher using the bodybug, then you could also raise your activity level on MFP to something that more accurately reflects your average burns. I tend to think MFPs numbers are a little low. Like I think their "sedentary" is literally "sit on your *kitten* all day every day, with getting up to use the bathroom, maybe." So you may be more active on average than you think, but I'd personally just raise your activity level to account for it.
  • jibbala
    jibbala Posts: 76 Member
    Why would anyone roll their eyes at this? Im asking an honest question. That is rude and uncalled for. I am not being mean to anyone...I am simply trying to adjust to a new system to track my input and output. This is information I could not find via the site so I figured I would ask. Based on my past experience, what MFP is suggesting I burn without adding in my workout is almost a thousand calories lower than what my bodybug reported.I am trying to figure out how I could negate this difference. Next time, I will make sure to take my question elsewhere since this was clearly stupid to ask.

Thanks for the support if you had a legit answer to provide me! I think I am overthinking things too much. I will keep tracking the way I am. I am getting results so it must be right!
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    I'm guessing the body bugg is kinda like the fitbit, the nice thing about the fitbit though is it automatically subtracts the calories MFP already assumes you will burn in a day and only gives you calories if you burn above that amount. If you could figure that out manually then I think it would be okay to add the extras - but that would be just too much math for me! :tongue: Also just sitting wouldn't get the extra calories - there has to be steps in there, the more steps the more extra calories. So I guess it would depend if you're only sitting or if you're getting up and doing other tasks too....