Do you weigh yourself everyday?

Options
Just trying to figure out if I should weigh myself everyday or once a week

Replies

• MelbourneBelle
    MelbourneBelle Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I weigh most days, but its because (a) I'm curious and (b) its habit.
    I take note of the fluctuatiosn over thew eeek, adn I records my "weigh in" on Fridays. I do not obsess over the daily results and fluctuations - if you think you're prone to that sort of thinking, I suggest you avoid the scales except on weigh in day.
    :)
  • katamus
    katamus Posts: 2,363 Member
    Options
    Only weigh yourself every day if you know you won't freak out by gaining 4 lbs overnight. It happens. I have bad sodium days, I gain some when I start new exercise routines, and a lot of people gain during TOM (luckily I don't).

I can wake up and be one amount, two hours later I'm 2 lbs heavier, 10pm I'm down 1lb again. When you eat and drink, you're adding weight to your body. Not that you're gaining fat... But everything has some sort of weight to it. A gallon of water is like 8 lbs or something crazy. If I drink a quart of water, my weight is going up.

A lot of people weigh once a week, once a month, every day.. Do what is going to work for you. I weigh myself every morning after I pee. If I lost anything since any previous mornings, I'll log it. If I gained, I drink a ton of water and try again the next day.
  • lolly2721
    lolly2721 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I would like to say I avoid the scale but I don't. I step on the scale when I see it just out of curiosity for the most part. I do set aside a day that I weigh myself and then record it.
  • extrafluff
    Options
    YES, I do. I weigh in at least twice a day. Such a badddddddddddd habit but I cant stop myself LOL.
  • mwhtmh
    mwhtmh Posts: 14
    Options
    I'm just like the person who said that she weighs herself every morning and if she has lost anything she will log it. If she gains, she won't log it, but tries harder the next day. I'm compulsive so I step on the scale a lot---- I started at 197 so if I step on the scale, after lunch -- fully dressed and the scale reads less than my last weeks weight I realize I'm doing OK. It's important not to beat yourself up over the scale.
  • its_rierie
    its_rierie Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every day when I remember, if I have time. First thing in the morning can be anywhere between 3.30am and 10am for me, and if I weigh in early early morning I do it clothes on. Why? Because I'm wearing clothes at the time :laugh:

I log it every day, because I'm very curious to see how it changes at certain times of the month, to see how certain foods affect me, etc. Once a week or so I take my measurements, too, as a more accurate way to tracking my progress. I'm interested in the overall health/size/weight journey than a single number.
  • fit_and_fab_after_kids
    Options
    i weigh once a week after peeing on the same day!
  • jfan175
    jfan175 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I'm just like the person who said that she weighs herself every morning and if she has lost anything she will log it. If she gains, she won't log it, but tries harder the next day.

Lol. Same here. A good method for those who must weigh themselves daily is to write down your weights each day for 7 days, add them up and divide by 7. Do this on the same day each week for an accurate method to track your weekly progress that takes into account the daily fluctuations. Also, be sure to weigh yourself at the same time each day.
  • happythermia
    happythermia Posts: 374
    Options
    If it really bums you out to see fluctuations - then definitely don't do it!!!

I weigh daily because I look at it like I'm my own science project. Hell. I weigh MULTIPLE times daily...and before and after I poop lol. It's JUST information! :-)

But again, if that info bums you out, don't do it! Try once a week or even once a month
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,306 Member
    Options
    I used to never weigh myself...and that is how I have never been able to keep my weight under control. I'd lose some weight and go by how my clothes fit..then I'd end up slowly gaining it all back

so..I say weigh at least once a week if weighing fools with your mind. If you want to weigh every day go ahead..but know you'll have stalls and it is just part of the processs.

But for sure after you reach goal you should weigh everyday so weight doesn't creep back on.
  • cuarrech
    cuarrech Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    If it really bums you out to see fluctuations - then definitely don't do it!!!

I weigh daily because I look at it like I'm my own science project. Hell. I weigh MULTIPLE times daily...and before and after I poop lol. It's JUST information! :-)

But again, if that info bums you out, don't do it! Try once a week or even once a month

Same here. I weigh daily, just out of curiosity. It only gets depressing for me when an upward or stagnant trend continues for weeks. I can take daily fluctuations. If I couldn't, I would probably try not to weigh as often. But then, each number would mean so much more, particularly greater than a week at a time. If (when) I stayed the same weight on that time scale, then it might be even more depressing for me to weigh once a week/two weeks/month than when I see it creeping or stagnating every day.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Only weigh yourself every day if you know you won't freak out by gaining 4 lbs overnight. It happens. I have bad sodium days, I gain some when I start new exercise routines, and a lot of people gain during TOM (luckily I don't).

This! If it freaks you out only weigh once a week or less. I weigh daily but ONLY Friday counts, so while I may curse at my scale on other days I don't let it stress me out too much unless it is Friday.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Just trying to figure out if I should weigh myself everyday or once a week
    As several others have said, it all depends on you. If you can handle the fact that your weight may fluctuate several pounds from day to day without freaking out over it, then there's nothing wrong with weighing daily. If it's going to screw with your mind and make you all obsessive and upset, you're probably better off weighing once a week (maybe even once every two weeks or monthly).
  • stuffinmuffin
    stuffinmuffin Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    Once a week!!! And don't always pay that much attention to it as the scale will change to all manner of things such as muscle repair, water retention, hormonal changes, still digesting food etc etc.

I always found I'd pay a certain amount of attention the scales but for me, it was the tape measure that never lied! ; ) xx
  • mirandamayhem
    Options
    I'm just like the person who said that she weighs herself every morning and if she has lost anything she will log it. If she gains, she won't log it, but tries harder the next day. I'm compulsive so I step on the scale a lot---- I started at 197 so if I step on the scale, after lunch -- fully dressed and the scale reads less than my last weeks weight I realize I'm doing OK. It's important not to beat yourself up over the scale.

This is what I do. I will log a loss, and then leave it til there is another loss. But I weigh every day because it's keeping me motivated, if there's a gain I will reflect on why and work harder. I'm not weighing throughout the day though, just naked, first thing in the morning!
  • fonitoni
    fonitoni Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I weigh every day and record once a month
  • giggles7706
    giggles7706 Posts: 1,491 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself about 2-3 times a week but only record once. I wish I could stay away from the scale for a whole week! I know that that is what's best but it's hard to do. I'm glad I don't have a scale in my home otherwise I would definitely be weighing every morning.
  • twinteensmom
    twinteensmom Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    For me, it all depends. I normally only weigh myself once a week. However, if I have a mysterious gain, like I did last week, I will weigh myself midweek to see if that gain has been rectified, like it has. It keeps me motivated.
  • firedragon064
    firedragon064 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Weight myself every day so i don't lose my focus.
  • Hayley189
    Hayley189 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Yes, I weigh every day and like others, record when there's a loss. I do record gains eventually, if I've fallen off the wagon, but not day to day fluctuations. I like weighing every day, it helps me catch myself before I go too far in the wrong direction.