Need to lose a couple of people but willing to gain friends

Options

Replies

• rdonald57
    rdonald57 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Great Start, i added you as a friend and i hope to encourage you in your effort. I pray you have every success.
  • sissyr75
    sissyr75 Posts: 24
    Options
    Way to go Tom! Keep up with it and you help inspire us all.
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    Tom- how inspirational! KUDOS for taking this on yourself when insurance wouldn't pay. And it's great to hear the people at the post officce there are encouraging.

Smaller increments sound like the way to go! I can't wait to hear you've reached your next milestone.
  • misalillstead
    misalillstead Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Wow, You're off to such a great start! Sending a request. :) Anyone else may feel free to add me!
  • ccpowers
    ccpowers Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    You are so in the right place for even more support. Congratulations on everything and especially on finding yourself and the will to change. Feel free to add me..I am a bit of an addict on here so I will support you as much as possible
  • DianneBoo
    DianneBoo Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Congrats on all of your successes to date! And, congrats on your fantabulous attitude! You will definately go far! I have added you as a friend!
  • annwyatt69
    annwyatt69 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    What an inspiration you are to everyone! I think your progress is amazing and I appreciate you sharing this with us! I have had weight issues all of my life and always said I gained weight just looking at food. I have tried virtually everything, went through a year preparing for gastric bypass only to be turned down my insurance company two days before the surgery date. In retrospect, I am very glad that I did not go through with it. I feel so much more of a sense of accomplishment doing this myself. I have only lost 7 pounds so far, and I too, have set my initial goals small so that I won't be overwhelmed or become discouraged. Your story is inspiring and I am rooting for you. I believe that you have the determination and fortitude to make the right choices. Kudos to you!
  • Tazziegal
    Tazziegal Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Tom that is amazing. Good luck to you on your weight loss. I have only been doing this since Sunday and have lost 3.3 lbs so far (a little less than 1 1/2 kgs). It really does help to keep a diary of foods you have eaten in the day. I have gradually been eating healthier in the last 18 months. First cutting out all fizzy drinks, then switching our meals to salad plates and finally cutting out all added sugar for the last 4 months. I feel amazing even though the weight loss hasn't been that much. This diary has been a wonderful tool.I will be watching to see how you're going. Keep up the great work. :wink:
  • IMREADY2BEGIN
    Options
    Keep posting!! This is so inspiring and your success means everything! WOOT WOOT WOOT!!!
  • fullofhope01
    Options
    Thank you for sharing your story with us! It has clearly touched so many already and will touch many more to come. Your attitude and determination will get you to where you want to go! You are worth it! You can do this! I have sent a friend request and would be thrilled to follow your successes and encourage along the way!
  • DennisMorrison
    Options
    Tom,

Welcome to MFP. I just joined recently and found this to be a good tool to track you progress. I have my best friend and wife as a friend and fitness partner. I was in poor health at 370 pounds and wanted to be around for my grandkids. We started with portion controlling meat and carbs. We ate lots of steamed vegetables and salads with very little dressing. Now we are going to a gym 5 days a week. The way to keep eating the same low calorie foods is to season it with healthy spices. I mix my own blends leaving out the salt and sugar that most of the store brands include. I can share the blends with you or anyone if you would like just email me. Just remember if you work hard you will get results. The weight loss has my health issues under control without the use of the
    Drugs I was taking. My copay for the perscriptions was 320.00 a month. Keep fighting it will save your life.
  • LinaBo
    LinaBo Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Hi there, Tom. I'm a binge/compulsive eater and food addict, too (in recovery, thanks to counselling. I really recommend seeing an ED counsellor regularly, to deal with the deep-rooted issues that cause you to overeat). I'm a trained cook and I'm always here to troubleshoot with developing recipes that are both healthy and delicious, when asked. I'm not a big fan of rabbit food, and I still love my carbs. Fair warning, I am quite serious about lifting weights as part of my exercise regimen, and strongly encourage it for everyone, even if they start small. It improves your health in so many ways on top of helping you lose weight; your strength, your stamina, your appearance, supports loose skin a heck of a lot better thanks to added muscle, etc... plus it gives you a legitimate reason to eat a few more calories and still lose plenty of weight.

I am not a proponent of gastric bypass or lap band surgery, after seeing how it limits a person's ability to get even the basic nutrients their body needs to function properly, let alone feed growing muscle. It also does nothing to treat the underlying psychological issues behind your eating habits. All it seems to do is shrink the stomach to an unnaturally small size, and force a person into unnatural eating habits of a different kind. The human stomach is actually pretty good at shrinking back to a natural size on its own, on a calorie-reduced diet.

Anyway, if you think this would be a good fit, then feel free to add me.
  • chubbygirl253
    chubbygirl253 Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    Oh my gosh, Tom, that is soooo awesome! I'm really proud of you! I started June 17th and I've lost 15 lbs so far. Keep up the good work. I wish your story could motivate and inspire my future father-in-law because he has been hospitalized twice so far in 2012 related to issues stemming from his weight which is well over 500 lbs. I feel just terrible for him because he doesn't have any hope. Having hope is your lifeline. Thank you so much for sharing your story. I think it will give a lot of people in similar situations the hope they need to believe they can do it too. :happy:
    Laura
  • lilorphann
    lilorphann Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Hey Tom! Welcome and congrats on your progress so far! 518 days ago I started mfp with my hubby. He was nearly 500 pounds and had already consulted a surgeon about surgery. Our insurance requires a person to attempt to lose weight for 3 months before covering a weight loss surgery. Anyway, he's lost 180 pounds so far by doing this and changing how and what we eat and exercising some. Our son has lost 125 and I've lost 80.
    I'm so proud of you for taking control of your body and health! Please feel free to add me, if you'd like.
  • Reddak98
    Reddak98 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Well Tom, you surely are approaching this with a great attitude. How can you possibly not succeed? I look forward to following your success. Wishing you all the best in this journey. Definitely adding you.
  • luv_lea
    luv_lea Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you have a great plan so far!
  • ericbonfiglio
    Options
    Tom, your story is inspiring to say the least. It's ok to admit to an addition. We all have our vices and none of them are good for us. It's just part of being human. It is keeping them in check that really matters. MFP is probably the easiest way to lose weight you can find. It is not a DIET, it is learning how to eat responsibly. It is a way of life more than a diet I have found. Remember this, eat more often and just eat smaller portions at one time. You can always get some more food in a couple of hours, just eat smarter food choices and stay within your daily intake goals and the weight will start falling off. You health will improve and your energy will improve. You can do it.
  • luv_lea
    luv_lea Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    This site is a great tool. Can learn a lot from some of the info out there, along with plenty of encouraging friends/people.

Best of luck to you sir.
  • SenshiV
    SenshiV Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    As I said in the brief message in the request, when your weight threatens your health, it's definitely not cosmetical. I think you should get assistance from both a really good doctor and a good lawyer, because that's definitely wrong.

Good luck! see ya around.
  • Josie_lifting_cats
    Josie_lifting_cats Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    My name is Tom and I currently weigh 482 pounds. I have lost 55 pounds since I started my program on June 15, 2012.

At 46 years old, I now have a bad back, 2 bad knees and high blood pressure. I have been unable to work for quite a while.

I have been married to my sweetheart for 24 years and I want a lot more years with her. At my largest (that I am aware of) I weighed 537 pounds. I have been a "semi-professional" dieter most of my life. I have tried everything at one time or the other. Everything that is except portion control. Being addicted to food, I realize learning portion control is probably the toughest way to go but it is working out well so far.

I wanted to do lap-band but my wife's insurance company doesn't cover such "cosmetic" surgeries. I got tired of waiting for them to change their minds and I am now taking charge of changing my eating habits.

I weigh every Friday on the loading dock out behind the post office because I needed a scale that would go up to my size. The folks at the post office are always very encouraging when they see me come up. I have 180 folks following my progress on my facebook page also.

I have a long way to go in my journey so I broke my weightloss goals up into managable chunks. I first wanted to get to 499 pounds. I succeeded in that goal on July 9th, which was on a Monday and yes I know I only weigh on Fridays but you have to cut me a little slack... I was dying to know and Friday was soooooo far away. LOL

Once I hit 499 (for the first time in at least 3 years!) I have set goals of 25 pound increments. I find having a closer goal keeps me from being discouraged. I hope to hit my next goal either this coming Friday or the next!

That is enough for now. I am glad I found the forums and groups section on MFP!

You.
    Are.
    INCREDIBLE!

So inspiring!

I know so many of us on here are so different, but portion control was (and is) my biggest battle - sure, I eat some crummy foods, but it's okay if I eat crummy foods - just not as much of them!

I wish you lots of luck and even more support in this journey. It's not easy - I think many of us know that. But you have made the choice to change, and then have so much support already, you will succeed!