Anyone replace their chair with an exercise ball?

Options
Inspired by Dwight ;), I'm considering buying an exercise ball and using it as a chair at my desk (not really replacing my chair because I still like to watch shows and movies on my computer). I was wondering whether anyone's done this and what you thought about it.

Replies

• its_rierie
    its_rierie Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Mine burst because I kept bouncing on it... :embarassed: :laugh: :sad:
  • toniRAD
    toniRAD Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Hmm, I'm trying it right now & my back feels better already!
  • Kalliejc
    Kalliejc Posts: 36
    Options
    I really want to do this at work. Except I'm the first person people see when they come into the office......I don't know how professional it would be.

I'd definitely do it at home, except my 4 year old would want to play with it. :)
  • LemonSnap
    LemonSnap Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Our cat jumped on to ours. Pfffffffffffttttt
  • LemonSnap
    LemonSnap Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I really want to do this at work. Except I'm the first person people see when they come into the office......I don't know how professional it would be.

I can see me now..... I lean back in my chair during a telephone conversation and up recumbent on the floor.
  • HannahsReturnToFitness
    Options
    I have changed mine for an exercise ball. It is the most comfortable seat I have ever sat on!
  • Stuz359
    Stuz359 Posts: 81
    Options
    It's apparently good for your core. Because of the instability, you are constantly moving to maintain a stable posture which gives your core a good work out.
  • gazz777au
    gazz777au Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a great idea. I should get one !
  • mazzyw65
    mazzyw65 Posts: 47
    Options
    Mine burst because I kept bouncing on it... :embarassed: :laugh: :sad:

Seriously?? :laugh:
  • wilted_daisies
    Options
    ooh I could do this..wonder where my exercise ball is hiding :)
  • clairerose11
    clairerose11 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I had one towards the end of my pregnancy lol ... it was fantastic for posture, so I guess good for your core yes, but it did make my hips ache as it's supposed to 'open them up' due to the way you sit.

So I really couldn't sit on it for long periods of time.

Did consider getting it out after looking at this thread, but I think I bounced on it so much to try and enduce labour that the memories would be too much haha!
  • mirandamayhem
    Options
    I loved this when i was pregnant, haven't tried it since though! And i don't know why not, because it was so comfortable!
  • mariagabriella
    mariagabriella Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    My chiro once made me do this. It's good but you have to be careful. If you start slouching switch to a chair immediately.
  • MelissaGraham7
    MelissaGraham7 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I did it for a while - kind of easing into it (first for an hour, then 2, etc. up to 4 hours). it really builds your abdominal muscles, etc. Why did I stop? Hmmmmm. Must get back to it!!!
  • liannetracey
    Options
    Do it, it's a great idea and keeps you more alert.:happy:
  • LinaBo
    LinaBo Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    It used to be all the rage a few years back, but lately the "cons" seem to outweigh the "pros": http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/21/health/21really.html?_r=1&ref=health (see study linked to from the article), http://www.hawaiiarmyweekly.com/2012/06/22/new-research-cautions-using-exercise-balls-as-chairs/

I think it makes sense, what they caution here. An exercise ball should probably just be used for what it is intended. It's not meant for prolonged use, over the day. Stick with an ergonomically designed chair suited for prolonged sitting, and throw in a few extra stability exercises (whether on a ball or not) when you do your actual workouts.