MFP for kids?

Options
My son expressed an interest in losing weight a few days ago, so I started him with a MFP account. He wants to track his calories and see how much he burns in activities. Trouble is, MFP doesn't make recommendations for twelve year olds.

He's 5'4" with 15 pounds to lose (I think.) I have him on 1460 calories, as this is what was recommended for an 18 year old. I don't know if it's the right amount for him. I'm looking for advise from someone who has experience with this, or a web site recommendation?

I want him to grow into new eating habits without feeling deprived or stressed out - but I also know it will be important to him to see steady results, so getting the right calorie count info is important.

He's really motivated, and sees this as a permanent lifestyle change. He wants to mature in his eating habits, and overcome his "childish" lack of will power. Needless to say I am relieved, and very proud of him!

Replies

• Weebs628
    Weebs628 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I would just teach him about healthy eating habits now and not even do a MFP account for him. I think there's a reason the age minimum is 18.
  • StaceyG221
    StaceyG221 Posts: 31
    Options
    I say good for him! While yes he is still growing and I certainly would not put too much emphasis on dieting per se, but I don't think that the education of calories and such is a bad thing at all. I really had no clue until about a year ago how many calories and such I was taking in, when I started doing the research. Maybe it will be a help to him to have the knowledge that he can carry into the years when it will be important to have a healthy lifestyle. I oldest son just turned 19 and he is built like his parents, 5'9" and 188 pounds and big boned. As a mom, I think we should always take every opportunity to educate our children. Good luck!
  • springbreakmission
    springbreakmission Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Have you looked into http://www.sparkteens.com/ ?

Honestly i haven't fully checked this site out so i'm not sure of its quality or appropriateness but after his football coach talked to them about nutrition my younger brother was interested in MFP and i thought this might be a better idea.

I wasnt as into spark people so i dont know about it....and now my brother is into skateboarding and wants me to find all the skateparks in town instead lol oh well
  • its_rierie
    its_rierie Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I would focus on teaching him healthy eating habits, rather than hitting a calorie goal. The way I see it, we are here to learn healthy eating habits (and by doing so, lose weight).

If he learns what normal portions are, and what good food to eat now, he shouldn't need to count calories.
  • ksun10
    ksun10 Posts: 76
    Options
    Just try to teach him an active and healthy lifestyle. He shouldn't be counting calories until AT LEAST after puberty when his body is semi-done growing. If you restrict too much before you are done growing, it ultimately stunts growth.
  • JessyJ03
    JessyJ03 Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    Just try to teach him an active and healthy lifestyle. He shouldn't be counting calories until AT LEAST after puberty when his body is semi-done growing. If you restrict too much before you are done growing, it ultimately stunts growth.

While this may be true I was an excessively overweight kid and could have used some calorie restriction. Though I don't think that applies with only 15 lbs to lose.

Just get your kid moving! He'll lose weight.
  • justjenn1977
    justjenn1977 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I second the recomendations about not setting calorie goals... I think until they are done growing the emphasis should be more on choices and activity...

my 15.5 year old son... is 5'5" and 170# solid rock (like BF 17%) and some days he will eat close to 8 or 9K cals... those usually come in a bunch... and then he is 1/4 inch taller...

guys who are still growing (and gals) have higher requirements... and they must meet those requirements to grow... falling too far short of them can stunt growth... if you teach him about choices... chances are he will grow into those 15# he needs to loose :)
  • Eating_Less
    Options
    I truly appreciate all your replies. I agree that an overemphasis on counting calories is not a healthy thing to do physically or psychologically. On the other hand, he became overweight because neither he nor I were fully aware of how much he was eating, and we both need an education.

When I began logging my own calories, I wasn't eating hamburgers, fries, birthday cake, pizza and mac and cheese. I've been oblivious as to how many calories these items have. (And I'm not saying that's all he eats!) I have had the attitude that he should be allowed to "just be a kid." But his weight is now making him an unhappy kid. I am delighted that HE is motivated to learn more about how to eat appropriately, and I think that using MFP as a tool can be helpful. It has already been useful in helping him with making healthy choices and portion control.

I posted this because I'm concerned about him trying to restrict too much, or not enough. I thought maybe someone would have the magic formula to figure that out. Anyone?
  • its_rierie
    its_rierie Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    There's no "magic formula" for working anything out, honey.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    There is a reason that MFP has an 18+ rule.

I don't think a 12 year old should be calorie counting anyway. He's still growing. Just feed him healthy foods and get him moving. If you're set on it, then try sparkteens or speaking to his doctor.
  • CarleyLovesPets
    CarleyLovesPets Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    It would be higher then 1400 calories as he's growing.
    But I have no idea what the correct number is.

I think he'll lose as long as he's eating healthy meals, getting active more and keeping away from pop, sweets and chips.

I did find this though!
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/314427-a-healthy-diet-for-a-12-year-old/
  • CynthiasChoice
    CynthiasChoice Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    I don't have a recommendation for you, unfortunately, but I just wanted to say I think you are a great parent. We don't come to parenthood with all the answers. When you can admit that, and reach out for help, it shows how much you care about your child.

You know your child better than anyone else, and you know your particular family dynamics as they relate to food. One child may be able to eat everything in sight and stay slender, so you have to provide a lot of food for that one. Then, at the same dinner table, you have to try to tell the one that puts weight on easily, "you shouldn't have that second helping" or "no more bread and butter for you." And to top it off, maybe your spouse has poor eating habits, or has a warped idea of love = food. Volumes could be written about how our family dinner tables shape our hearts, our habits and our waist lines!

Good luck to you and your son. Though many doctors are poorly educated about nutrition, maybe the pediatrician would be the best starting point for you.
  • Hayley189
    Hayley189 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    He probably needs to be eating more than that because he's young and is still growing much more rapidly than an 18 year old, when we're usually pretty well grown. I don't have the answers and neither does MFP, that's why the rule is in place. However, maybe you should go to see a nutritionist, they will tell you how many calories he needs to be eating and you can set it manually to that?