Sometiimes you want to just... give up.

Options
I have been struggling with my weight now for almost 35 years. I was always a big kid growing up and those around me (other than my family) were always ready to point it out... AL:WAYS in not so kind ways. My childhood and high school years was one story, much like the 1000's out there... sometimes I just wanted to give up.

I’m 43 now and weigh 258 lbs. My 17 year old son is tipping the scale at a devastating 268 surpassing me and I worry so much about him. I see in him so much strength, honesty and kindness but I also see him being treated the same as I was so many years ago. I see him leave for school with a warm smile on his face and step off the bus at the end with his head hung low. I see him TRYING to care about how he looks and feel but, because eating is his crutch to the negativity at school, he eats all the time.

But he tries and never gives up! He always has that warm smile on his face when we see him and no matter what people say, no matter how low he feels steeping off that bus, by the next morning, his attitude is back to positive and he is ready to face another day with that wonderful smile..

Knowing what I went through growing up, I thought to support and care for my son…. Protect him from the same ridicule I had to endure. I never dreamed, through his positive outlook and kindness to whoever is negative to him, that he would inspire and support me.

To EVERYONE out there, please know you are not alone and no matter what people say or what they do, KNOW in your heart that you can always put that smile on your face because you will NEVER give up… because you have your Family and Friends that DO care about you and are here FOR you… and because you can always smile.

God Bless you all and I wish you the most!

Smile.
-Kurt

Replies

• SueD66
    SueD66 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    very heart warming and thank you. I'm smiling.
  • lanie37
    lanie37 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Thank you fir your honest words. Like yourself I have always been big. I hated every second of school, partly due to my weight and the negative attitude not from my peers but from the teachers.

I became a different person once I left school and started working. I was a croupier for a few years and this gave me so much confidence in myself.
    My daughter in now 10 years old, she loves school and I want this to carry on for her. However weightwise she has followed me with the comfort eating or just plain eating just to be doing something. I have no one else to blame but myself, she is a tall girl for her age, but is getting bigger around the waist too. Thankfully joining this site is not only helping me, but its helping me to help my daughter too. I have cut down both our portion sizes and cut out all the "treats". We walk almost everywhere and even joins in with the tummy crunches before bed.

I have a positive attitude towards life, and believe a smile costs nothing, and can make a whole difference to someone else's day. So heads held up high put on a smile and face what the day has to offer
  • alumpoflard
    alumpoflard Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    It sounds as if you have raised a lovely well balanced son, I wonder if you could use his kind heart to help him? Maybe ask him if he will help you on this journey? Tell him you could use the support with healthy eating and need an exercise buddy- just out walking together or cycling/ swimming to start. It could be a winner all round, you can get healthy together and spend quality time together. And if he thinks he is helping you, he won't feel pressured or judged.

I see you have only just started on here and wish you the very best :drinker:
  • helenx55
    helenx55 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Sad post but also a warming post,be proud you have such a well adjusted child. Kids/people will always be quick to point out
    what they see as negatives in a person,I always think for a person to be so nasty they have to feel pretty low to have to big themselves up by hurting another person.
    Your son is lucky, he will never have to stoop that low. In the meantime as others as said implement healthy eating for him.
  • lakota1307
    lakota1307 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    SO true , so so true ......
  • shindlek
    shindlek Posts: 3
    Options
    We are taking walks together with the family and he is going to start his own MFP page. My wife too. The support from this site is amazing. :)

-Kurt
  • Mistyblu08
    Mistyblu08 Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    I have been struggling with my weight now for almost 35 years. I was always a big kid growing up and those around me (other than my family) were always ready to point it out... AL:WAYS in not so kind ways. My childhood and high school years was one story, much like the 1000's out there... sometimes I just wanted to give up.

I’m 43 now and weigh 258 lbs. My 17 year old son is tipping the scale at a devastating 268 surpassing me and I worry so much about him. I see in him so much strength, honesty and kindness but I also see him being treated the same as I was so many years ago. I see him leave for school with a warm smile on his face and step off the bus at the end with his head hung low. I see him TRYING to care about how he looks and feel but, because eating is his crutch to the negativity at school, he eats all the time.

But he tries and never gives up! He always has that warm smile on his face when we see him and no matter what people say, no matter how low he feels steeping off that bus, by the next morning, his attitude is back to positive and he is ready to face another day with that wonderful smile..

Knowing what I went through growing up, I thought to support and care for my son…. Protect him from the same ridicule I had to endure. I never dreamed, through his positive outlook and kindness to whoever is negative to him, that he would inspire and support me.

To EVERYONE out there, please know you are not alone and no matter what people say or what they do, KNOW in your heart that you can always put that smile on your face because you will NEVER give up… because you have your Family and Friends that DO care about you and are here FOR you… and because you can always smile.

God Bless you all and I wish you the most!

Smile.
    -Kurt

wow thats amazing- God Bless you and your son :):)