Strength Training Machines...opinions?

Options
porffor
porffor Posts: 1,212 Member
Is it 'ok' to use them working myself up from 20-30kg as a baseline? or should I just head for the free weights?

I am training alone and hit the strength training machines yesterday after gym induction, can certainly feel my chest / pecs today which is great but all else feels fine.

I'm wondering if I'm better off on free weights or ok to stick as I am till I can lift heavier.

Thanks all

Replies

• Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    I used the machines for the same reason you did. Workout by myself and thought it would be safer. It didn't do as much as free weights. I never was sore. Once I started free weights though I could barely walk the next day. Every part of my body hurt.

Free weights are the better options. You use your entire body.
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    I use both but have to admit that the free weights give a much better workout.
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    I use machines for my clients who are too deconditioned to handle the stabilization of heavy free weights to get their heavy training in and then have them use light free weights to start building the form and smaller stabilizers. I also use the machines for my advanced clients (and in my own workouts) as finishers after the free weights because they will help the larger muscles get to all out fatigue when the free weights have already achieved that with smaller stabilizer muscles.
  • JessyJ03
    JessyJ03 Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    Also machines can teach you proper form. They give you an idea of what the movement is supposed to be like with Free weights.
  • frando
    frando Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    I use a selection of machines to get every bit of me going, the instructor who took me on at the gym during the induction did suggest free weight but I pointed out I'm dyspraxic and thus exceedingly clumsy. He then put on to the machines instead and did a detailed induction on them all.

I do like the machines as I can easily adjust the weights (ie, one I'm happy with 40kg I can go to 50kg etc.).

To a point I think it depends on what you like and how you work though :3
  • vtachycardia
    vtachycardia Posts: 374
    Options
    I use machines for my clients who are too deconditioned to handle the stabilization of heavy free weights to get their heavy training in and then have them use light free weights to start building the form and smaller stabilizers. I also use the machines for my advanced clients (and in my own workouts) as finishers after the free weights because they will help the larger muscles get to all out fatigue when the free weights have already achieved that with smaller stabilizer muscles.

Great concise point, well made.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    I like them... for rehab work!

Otherwise, I much prefer using free weights. Free weights mean you have to work the supporting muscles. Machines also restrict movement making you move in unnatural ways if they're not set up perfectly.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    Also machines can teach you proper form. They give you an idea of what the movement is supposed to be like with Free weights.

Unfortunately, this sounds right, but it isn't. You can only learn good form for free weights by doing free weights. The form on a machine is similar looking, but different in the mechanics. For instance, compare using a pec fly machine to laying on your back and using dumbbells. The form on the machine looks like the same wingflapping weirdness. But doing it on the bench requires the use of stabilising muscles, a different kind of balancing, an a slightly different range of motion. It's really a completely different exercise.

to the OP - using machines is better than not lifting at all. Lifting with free weights is better than using machines. I think you need to weigh up the pros and cons and make a decision based on what fits with your life.

If you're worried about not having a spotter, using the cable machine might be a better option than the more fixed machine. I use the cables for bench press when I'm working out alone, and it works pretty much as well as laying on the bench for me.
  • MMorgan007
    Options

Unfortunately, this sounds right, but it isn't. You can only learn good form for free weights by doing free weights. The form on a machine is similar looking, but different in the mechanics. For instance, compare using a pec fly machine to laying on your back and using dumbbells. The form on the machine looks like the same wingflapping weirdness. But doing it on the bench requires the use of stabilising muscles, a different kind of balancing, an a slightly different range of motion. It's really a completely different exercise.

^^^ Beat me to it!
  • mathen2
    mathen2 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    This is what my trainer suggest. When you workout, work a certain muscle with unstable and stable exercises. Stable exercises would be with the machines and unstable would be with free weights that would create your muscle to adapt to the various changes and get exhausted. That way you build muscle and strength. Unstable exercises can also be done with Bosu balls and the exercise balls too.. Good luck!
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I use the machines, but I lift a much heavier amount on the machines than I would with free weights. I'm usually sore all over the next day. I also mix in lots of cardio when I use the machines.
  • porffor
    Options
    Thanks all!

Great points and I think the use of machines and then some free weights (lighter) to finish is a good idea and would allow me to 'grow' into it. I have been working out with body weight and small (barbie) dumbbells but am aiming to up my weights lifted.

Adding a kettle bell and leg / core workout class to too make sure I get all round condition. Fingers x'd it gets me back down to last years weight and beyond but either way I know I'll 'look better'.

Really appreciate the advice.
  • MonkeyBars
    MonkeyBars Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    ok, so unless I'm missing something, why do you want to strength train?
    From here, you can work out what you want to achieve?

Do you want to be able to carry your shopping bags easier?
    Do you want to be able to out wrestle someone?
    What do you want?

ok, some peeps may like or dislike what I say with this, but let's remember, we're all trying to help each other.

my personal opinion is machines can make you lazy with form & they isolate far too much!
    my next opinion is that free weights can be useful to augment your training, but, you may be injured due to isolating muscles again (been there, done that....)

So...

1. Develop your core (strong limbs are rubbish without a strong core).
    2. Use your body with body weight exercises (master your body weight within your space before you start shifting weights, rings, ropes, pullups, dip-bars etc....).
    3. Augment your training using equipment that favours "event" body movement (no isolation, a series of muscles becomes utilised)
    4. Introduce weights to make your "natural" body movements more difficult (plates, kettlebells, sandbags, waterballs, whatever you want to shift).
    5. Match your training to your requirements, is it explosive strength? Is it endurance strength? You need a programme to work your requirements.
    6. Don't forget the basics, work cardio, work anaerobic, eat well, sleep deep)

If all else fails, go hire a PT. Tell them exactly what you want and why. Don't ask questions about machines or equipment or anything. They just need to know what you want, then they will help you get there :)

Good luck!
  • porffor
    Options

to the OP - using machines is better than not lifting at all. Lifting with free weights is better than using machines. I think you need to weigh up the pros and cons and make a decision based on what fits with your life.

If you're worried about not having a spotter, using the cable machine might be a better option than the more fixed machine. I use the cables for bench press when I'm working out alone, and it works pretty much as well as laying on the bench for me.

Thanks :) I'm 'ok' on form I think for free weights as have lifted many years ago and can associate machines to what I should be doing free weights, but am def worried about no spotter for chest presses etc. I don't have the option of a buddy at the moment though. I do think a mix will work well, a lot of what I did yesterday felt like I should be doing it on free weights and don't want to be too restricted but it was nice to up the weight as I went along easily as I wasn't sure what I'd find comfortable at first.

Not sure I'll be doing much cardio - can't abide it in a gym to be honest just use it to warm up and cool down but I ride my horse and have a static bike at home so fingers x'd that's enough for me.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    Try the cables then, for the chest press, definitely. I find that much, much better than the machine. I really *know* I've worked out my chest, on the cables.

Good luck! :-)
  • porffor
    Options
    ok, so unless I'm missing something, why do you want to strength train?
    From here, you can work out what you want to achieve?

Do you want to be able to carry your shopping bags easier?
    Do you want to be able to out wrestle someone?
    What do you want?

ok, some peeps may like or dislike what I say with this, but let's remember, we're all trying to help each other.

my personal opinion is machines can make you lazy with form & they isolate far too much!
    my next opinion is that free weights can be useful to augment your training, but, you may be injured due to isolating muscles again (been there, done that....)

So...

1. Develop your core (strong limbs are rubbish without a strong core).
    2. Use your body with body weight exercises (master your body weight within your space before you start shifting weights, rings, ropes, pullups, dip-bars etc....).
    3. Augment your training using equipment that favours "event" body movement (no isolation, a series of muscles becomes utilised)
    4. Introduce weights to make your "natural" body movements more difficult (plates, kettlebells, sandbags, waterballs, whatever you want to shift).
    5. Match your training to your requirements, is it explosive strength? Is it endurance strength? You need a programme to work your requirements.
    6. Don't forget the basics, work cardio, work anaerobic, eat well, sleep deep)

If all else fails, go hire a PT. Tell them exactly what you want and why. Don't ask questions about machines or equipment or anything. They just need to know what you want, then they will help you get there :)

Good luck!

Why:

This is the next step from riding (strength needed for owning my horse as well as riding), and my personal preferred choice of training - I have loved strength training from the age of 14. I just had a gap where I didn't put my needs as high as everyone elses. I've enjoyed home programmes for a while now and the odd class, but joining the gym is to give me regular training without the worry of weather or daylight (which inhibits my riding) as I go into my 2nd year of Uni. I have body fat to lose still and like muscles, I can't lie! I am not after looking overly slim just fit / firm. :) Shopping bags are def not an issue for me. lol Sadly, money doesn't extend to a PT to be honest. Between the gym and my horse I spend a fair bit on fitness already. My gym will provide me with a programme to work to once I've settled in so that'll be great - Just need to find my feet on the machines or weights again. hence my question.

oh and as for wrestling.. if I had to to get myself out of trouble, I know I could.. have enjoyed martial arts in the past after growing up in an inner city area of London it was again something I started in my teens, just enough to know I can at least try.. hard.
  • porffor
    Options
    Try the cables then, for the chest press, definitely. I find that much, much better than the machine. I really *know* I've worked out my chest, on the cables.

Good luck! :-)

• MonkeyBars
    MonkeyBars Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    sounds like you're already focused :)
    you should already have a strong lower core with horse riding and good posture.
    Good luck.
  • porffor
    Options
    sounds like you're already focused :)
    you should already have a strong lower core with horse riding and good posture.
    Good luck.

• wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Warm up with the bar, doing the same movement you will do weighted.
    IF the bar is your workset, do the movements with light dumbbells.