Totally miffed about protein powders... HELP!

Options
Having posted on here last night about how to meet my target calorie allowance per day whilst doing P90X, a suggestion was made that protein powders were a great way to up your calories and protein intake. I have read some guides online, and must say I am now completely confused! I get that the protein content should be high, but get lost in all of the other bits (production methods, nutrients etc).

Also, from looking on a generic website which sells protein powders, some of them seem aimed at certain "things" (especially the maximuscle range - cyclone, promax, promax diet, progain, progain extreme to name a few!).

I am just completely confused and need some help! I am doing P90X, struggling to reach my calorie goals and would like a quick and easy way to get an extra bit of protein in my diet. Ideally I would be looking to hear from ladies (although not sure if protein powders effect men and women differently??? if this is not the case, then boys too! :) ) who have seen good results with certain powders they use. Ideally a well priced, all round powder with high protein content and chocolate taste - i need to get my fix from somewhere! :)

Finding it a bit of a minefield to get some unbiased reviews, so thought you guys would be able to help!

Replies

• jynxxxed
    jynxxxed Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    I was in the same position a few weeks ago! After some research, I ended up buying Optimum Nutrition's Double Rich Chocolate and I've been very happy with it so far. I drink it after my workout and it's 120 calories + I add two cups of unsweetened vanilla almond milk for a total of 180 calories. It seriously tastes just like chocolate milk! No weird smell, no weird taste.. it's awesome not to mention veryyyyy filling.

It has 24 grams of protein and I bought it for around $26 at GNC using my gold card.
  • skinnyminni1985
    Options
    Thanks insomnia! Any other suggestions anyone? would like to get a short list together to make a decision!

Insomnia, how did you make your choice? What made you go with Optimum Nutrition?
  • graelwyn
    graelwyn Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    I have the Optimum Nutrition double chocolate too, but find I prefer USN Dessert which is a mix of casein and whey and I find much thicker and more filling. Casein is a slower release protein so keeps you full longer, apparently, and is a good one to have before bed.