HOW often and for how long?

Options
How often does everyone work out and when you do, how long and at what intensity? I am facing the fact that high intensity 6-7 days per week may actually be hindering my weight loss. It may very well be the culprit that has made me gain back...Not enough healing time, etc. Maybe add yoga or pilates? Skip every other day? But exercise gives me my mental medicine. :love:

Replies

• premiumchilenita
    premiumchilenita Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    I noticed that happening for me too. When you are exercising so intensely you really have to be weary of your diet. Make sure you're eating enough and also the right kinds of food to fuel your body for the intensity of your workout. You might find that you might have to eat more and you will start losing weight again.

If you don't want to eat more then you might have to slow down a little on the exercise. Remember everything is a balance, to much of one thing and the body doesn't work.
  • Macrocarpa
    Macrocarpa Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Daily, minimum 60 minutes, with a rest day every 7-10 days. If I don't exercise I get pretty grumpy. This ranges from walking through to high intensity interval training to endurance.

I generally get through between 800 calories and 1400 calories burned per day, eating back about 75% of that.
  • Pigbear
    Pigbear Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I do low impact exercise 4 -5 times a week. 60 minutes per day of cardio broken down as follows

Swimming laps, freestyle, light/moderate effort - 20 minutes
    Walking, 3.5 mph, brisk pace - 20 minutes
    Walking, 3.0 mph, mod. pace, walking dog - 20 minutes

I find I can work this into my (work) dailey routine very easily then I tend to have the weekends to rest.

Also I am on a 1000 calorie per day eating regime (its working for me at the moment before you mention I am not eating enough :) )
  • Elen_Sia
    Elen_Sia Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    I lift weights for approx 80 mins three days a week and bike outside for 40 mins at a moderate speed on all the other days. Calorie-wise, I have to net a minimum 1500 a day or my brain gets severely cuckoo. :smile:
  • ambercholtz
    ambercholtz Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I jog daily, walk daily and stretch daily.. It is a combination of intensities for me and it works very well. I average 50 minutes per day right now between them all, eventually I will increase it by 10-20 minutes per day. Some people take time off and others do not, I am not sure what advice I can give you other than switch up your routine and see what comes of it.
  • drusilla126
    drusilla126 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    I work out 5 days a week for about 1 1/2 hours. They say to alternate days of high intensity with lower intensity so I kind of do that.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    not-this-again.jpg
  • shivles
    shivles Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    I train 6 days a week, running 3 days, weights 3 days. However my weight is not an issue as long as I don't look fat. I don't care if I weigh 70kg as long as I look good, I have a calorie allowance of about 1900 a day with an extra 300 for weight training days. I don't weigh much less but I've lost inches in just 3 weeks :)

Maybe your body is at the point it wants more high quality calories to fuel muscle growth, eating too little will make your body 'cling' to the calories iykwim?
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I normally yoga in the morning for 20 min. M-F, walk for 30 min. at lunch M-Th, and P90X 7 days a week in the evening...the P90X is very intense primarily strength training routing, but does include 2 yoga days...I don't see how anyone could go wrong including flexibility training, and if you want light cardio for recovery I have seen no compelling reason you have to do it on a separate day.
  • andreamelo1
    andreamelo1 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I am facing the fact that high intensity 6-7 days per week may actually be hindering my weight loss.
    no such thing if your committed stay committed
  • andreamelo1
    andreamelo1 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    not-this-again.jpg

LOL i know right
  • apriltrainer
    apriltrainer Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    3 days a week. 45 min to an hour. That is all. I only strength train. No cardio whatsoever.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    How often does everyone work out and when you do, how long and at what intensity? I am facing the fact that high intensity 6-7 days per week may actually be hindering my weight loss. It may very well be the culprit that has made me gain back...Not enough healing time, etc. Maybe add yoga or pilates? Skip every other day? But exercise gives me my mental medicine. :love:

More info needed. Everyone has a different opinion on what high intensity is. What's your current routine? How long have you been doing it? What are your goals? Without info like that all of our suggestions are both random and worthless.
  • mamafish2313
    Options

More info needed. Everyone has a different opinion on what high intensity is. What's your current routine? How long have you been doing it? What are your goals? Without info like that all of our suggestions are both random and worthless.

I have worked out for 4 years and hardly ever miss a day. I was, up until this spike in weight, doing weights 3x per week, and high intensity cardio the rest. My goal is to burn over 700 every day. I also run/hill train as a means of cardio. I have done this since the 2nd year I started. The 1st year was introductory, Jillian, 30 mins or so every other day-post baby. I ramped it up, loved my results and then headed back to where I was. Convinced it was muscle, stayed off the scale. My pants ceased to fit, I have noticeable fat around my mid section. Someone posted of over training so I thought maybe varied intensity?
  • Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    Right now moderateIIT 15-18 min 3 times per week, LISS 60min 2 times per week, lifting ~60 min 3 times per week. Hopefully next week will be starting lifting 3 times per week 60-75 minutes estimated, and LISS 2 times per week 15 minutes.
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I would agree that constant high intensity can hurt your weight loss. The times I have lost the most weight, was when I switch to low calorie diet, and only did walking and yoga. I lose, then kick up workouts to maintain, then take a break and lose again. It kept me from really hitting too many platueas and still kicking in those needed calories for workouts.

I presently am doing double in marathon training - I do an AM workout of Running or Brazil Butt Lift for my hip strength - and a noon workout of biking or Brazil Butt Lift - I run 3x per week and bike 2x per week. On my rest day, I do Tai Chi and Yoga.
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I have worked out for 4 years and hardly ever miss a day. I was, up until this spike in weight, doing weights 3x per week, and high intensity cardio the rest. My goal is to burn over 700 every day. I also run/hill train as a means of cardio. I have done this since the 2nd year I started. The 1st year was introductory, Jillian, 30 mins or so every other day-post baby. I ramped it up, loved my results and then headed back to where I was. Convinced it was muscle, stayed off the scale. My pants ceased to fit, I have noticeable fat around my mid section. Someone posted of over training so I thought maybe varied intensity?

Not sure how old you are, I didn't look at your profile, but did read you said Post-Baby. Women's hormones change, especially when we have babies. One of the BEST things I ever did for my weight loss as have my hormones checked through saliva testing. My insurance paid it, but you can also get it done through online services - I know Unikey Health Care does them and they provide a phone consultation or written explanation of the results. I have mine checked yearly now through my ARNP, but it took balancing my post-baby hormones to really get the mid-stomach weigh loss moving.

Another idea - have you tried CLA, it's a supplement that is supposed to target that midbelly fat - do your own research. I didn't see any results when I tried myself. It's also called Tonalin.
  • Bronx_Montgomery
    Bronx_Montgomery Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    Im doing the Kris Gethin 12 Week trainer. Currently I am working out 7 days a week. 5 days of Strength training and 7 days of some sort of cardio
  • _skittybang
    _skittybang Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    I do cardio almost everyday - during the week I run about 45-60 min and do a lot of body-weight exercises at home. Weekends I do a lot of strength and some cardio at the gym and usually go hiking or running again.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    twice a day for 30-45 minutes - and on weekends a total of about 3 hours. Strength on weekdays, cardio ridiculousness on weekends.