Anyone own an Elliptical?

Options
I am researching buying an elliptical trainer. There are so many to choose from and such a wide price range, it's overwhelming!!
Does anyone own one? Do you like it?
I'm not looking to spend a fortune, but I also don't want to buy a piece of junk. I would really appreciate any recommendations!
Thanks!:wink:

Replies

• jenners22
    Options
    i have one that was about $200 and it works just as well as the big massive expensive one at the gym. I like it a lot and it gets the cardio i need in. it's also working upper and lower body and doesn't hurt my knees.
  • Hetfield
    Hetfield Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hi Saraketner,
    Can I add to the research? I am looking for a Treadmill....and I have been researching quite a bit but boy there are so many brands and types. Like you, I don't want to spend a fortune but don't want a piece of junk either... I would appreciate any recommendations! Hope you don't mind my tagging along on your post =D
  • Jenspo
    Jenspo Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I have a Precor elliptical from Chicago Home Fitness. You can get a pretty decent one from most department stores though (Sears, Target, Sam's Club/Costco) for a good price. I would recommend getting one with arm levers though since you get a better workout.
  • c_l_phillips72
    c_l_phillips72 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Yes, I have an Ellyptical and the brand is Sole. I bought it at ****s for around $1,000. I have been really happy with it and it has not given me any problems in about the year that I've owned it. I think Sole has something like a 5 year warranty, which is the reason I bought that brand. Often, you can get good deals direcly from Sole's website. ****'s matched Sole's website price because they also had free shipping! Putting it together was very easy - about 45 minutes.

Good luck!
  • saraketner
    Options
    Hi Saraketner,
    Can I add to the research? I am looking for a Treadmill....and I have been researching quite a bit but boy there are so many brands and types. Like you, I don't want to spend a fortune but don't want a piece of junk either... I would appreciate any recommendations! Hope you don't mind my tagging along on your post =D
    No worries! I'll take treadmill recommendations too! I keep going back and forth between an elliptical and a treadmill!
  • shariguymon
    shariguymon Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I bought my elliptical from smooth fitness.com. It is their cross-trainer CE. I bought it online as I live in a small community, no stores with ellipticals here. It was fairly expensive, around $1600 with free shipping. It has a life time warranty on the frame and braking system and 3 yr on parts, 1 yr on labor. I got it in April of 2008 and have never had any trouble at all. Personally, I love it. I absolutely have to use the heart monitor for my safety. I also like the sturdiness of it and the arm levers.

Good luck! I can adjust the resistance so I can get just what I need, and others can change it to meet their needs.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    As far as exercise equipment goes, I like it. It's realllly hard on the legs, but after some time, it gets easier. I could only do about 2 minutes at best when I got mine a few weeks ago, now I can go about 10 minutes. Put it in a room that you're less likely to get bored- in front of a TV helps.

I got a treadmill at the same time, and I've already gotten rid of it. Make sure you spend some time on the equipment before purchasing. You may think you're going to love it, and end up hating it.

I'm a big fan of purchasing these things off of Kijiji or Craigslist. Most used exercise equipment is just like new because no one ever uses them once they get them. :)
  • jwilson56
    Options
    Saw this on a deal site

Ironman Elliptical 1840 @ Wal-mart @ $397. Used to be $797

http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthread.php?threadid=1777152

Treadmill Doctor is the most legitimate treadmill and elliptical review site I have seen in several years of poking around the internet and looking for reviews as a 'treadmill enthusiast.' They are pretty tough with their marks, so a 5.05 out of 10 does NOT mean the unit is junk. Their summary comment is, "The Ironman 1840 is a solid elliptical for a solid price."
  • lgfeilmeier
    Options
    I got a Gold's Gym elliptical from Walmart with my "stimulus" money a while back. It was a mid grade and cost about $500. I've used both treadmills and ellipticals and I feel that you burn calories faster with the elliptical. I still have a gym membership to use the fancy ellipticals, but mine works well when I'm snowed in or I want to get a workout in the morning.
  • saraketner
    Options
    Saw this on a deal site

Ironman Elliptical 1840 @ Wal-mart @ $397. Used to be $797

http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthread.php?threadid=1777152

Treadmill Doctor is the most legitimate treadmill and elliptical review site I have seen in several years of poking around the internet and looking for reviews as a 'treadmill enthusiast.' They are pretty tough with their marks, so a 5.05 out of 10 does NOT mean the unit is junk. Their summary comment is, "The Ironman 1840 is a solid elliptical for a solid price."

Thanks! I just checked it out and that is definitely the right price!!
  • saraketner
    Options
    I got a Gold's Gym elliptical from Walmart with my "stimulus" money a while back. It was a mid grade and cost about $500. I've used both treadmills and ellipticals and I feel that you burn calories faster with the elliptical. I still have a gym membership to use the fancy ellipticals, but mine works well when I'm snowed in or I want to get a workout in the morning.

I had been looking at the Gold's Gym brand for a while. Which model did you buy?
  • lemonllama
    lemonllama Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I love the ellip!
    Mine wasnt too spendy, its a ... *runs and checks* Image? I guess thats the name. And was definately not spendy maybe 250?? (my mom bought it) Its not as big as the ones at the gym, buttt I definately feel its just as good!! I was pleasantly suprised. It has a screen with the time/calories burned/steps/resistance. I find that I start on resistance 2 and end on 3 I feel pretty good!! And the calorie count is pretty accurate- although it doenst have a setting (i dont think) to put your weight in like the older models.. it usually will say like i burned 200 calories and when I type it in online it'll say i burned like 175, but was more accurate when i weighed more (its prob programed for the average weight..)
    Also has a few programs, it will change the resistance at intervals if you want... or you can do it by how many steps or calories u want to burn...

I just HATE tredmills for some reason, I get bored and usually end up getting off it, this I can get a nice sweat in at a nice pace, and if you want to focus more on leg muscles or toning just crank up the resistance!! Or go faster for cardio, crank it down! arm handles too which are adjustable...

So I'd reccomend them =)
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    We got our proform at Sears for $399-ish. Works just fine!
  • vhuber
    vhuber Posts: 8,779 Member
    Options
    I have a SPENDY one because it is a commercial grade one. It is the Precor EFX556 and my son and I went together and bought one off ebay because he has a torn ACL and running on my treadmill was not good! I will use it over my treadmill any day!!! Paid around $2000.00 that included shipping.
  • BroiledNotFried
    BroiledNotFried Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I like the elliptical over the treadmill, at least the ones at the gym.

The gym ellipitals are Precor. They have various resistances and steepness. They work out the whole body, including the arms and chest. Plus, it seems to stretch my muscles. I burn 500 calories an hour on the elliptical...and 150 usually less on a treadmill. On a treadmill, I can increase my calories by walking at steep inclines...starting at 1.0 and increasing by .5 every 5 minutes. i stopped running on a treadmill due to knee problems and plantar fasciatus, which are both not problems on the elliptical. So, go for an elliptical.
  • Learning2LoveMe
    Learning2LoveMe Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    I have a Proform... found it on Craigslist for 100. Not a bad elliptical, very smooth. I love it so far.

Make sure the one you get has resistances on it that you can set. Good luck on your search!