Dizziness

Options
Does anyone else experience light-headed/dizziness from eating less than they're used to? Some stats: Realistically, I probably eat about 650 calories less than before. I'm eating a healthy/recommended amount now, but sometimes (especially at work) I feel like I'm about to fall over. I have zero energy, but I haven't had energy regularly since I was about 20 years old. Have yet to get checked for hypothyroidism...Not diabetic. I'm sure it's my blood sugar dropping and I could probably eat an apple to get it back up when I feel this way, but I'm just wondering about other people's thoughts on this and how you deal with it, especially if first starting out on your weight loss journey. Thanks!

Replies

• LyssaKoukla
    Options
    The dizziness happened to me last month after a workout. I had not eaten yet for the day. Now I take a small bite of something within my diet before going to work out. You are probably burning more calories than you are taking in at the time. Try something low carb before working out and drink a lot of water!
  • nicole9008
    nicole9008 Posts: 23
    Options
    I experience dizziness sometimes, I usually drink some water and eat something small. Sometimes I can get an electrolyte imbalance too which makes me feel dizzy so if that happens I drink some chicken broth. If you've cut your sodium drastically by eating healthier you can get a sodium deficiency and the broth helps with that.

And sometimes I just power through it and feel better in an hour.
  • laurenz2501
    laurenz2501 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    Yeah, it's not just after working out. I woke up this morning around 6 and it usually takes a few hours for me to be hungry, so I normally don't eat breakfast until 8:30/9am. This morning that was around the time I started feeling dizzy. I also know I didn't eat enough yesterday for dinner, so that could have carried over into today and caused the dizziness. But you're right about the sodium intake. I'm sure I've cut out a good amount of salt by eating healthier, so I'll have to try the chicken broth thing sometime!
  • rlmadrid
    rlmadrid Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Does anyone else experience light-headed/dizziness from eating less than they're used to? Some stats: Realistically, I probably eat about 650 calories less than before. I'm eating a healthy/recommended amount now, but sometimes (especially at work) I feel like I'm about to fall over. I have zero energy, but I haven't had energy regularly since I was about 20 years old. Have yet to get checked for hypothyroidism...Not diabetic. I'm sure it's my blood sugar dropping and I could probably eat an apple to get it back up when I feel this way, but I'm just wondering about other people's thoughts on this and how you deal with it, especially if first starting out on your weight loss journey. Thanks!

You're on track with some trouble shooting ideas. Maintaining your sugars will likely help. The other thing I would suggest is trying to ease into your deficit. I got dizziness too at the start and that's how I fixed it. If you are eating 650 less calories a day and feelign weak/dizzy maybe spend a week at 350 less a day, then 500, then 650. In 3 weeks, a deficit of 650 calories a day may be easier to adjust to.
  • 67turtle
    67turtle Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem last year when I started my journey.Sodium and blood sugar levels and hydration are key factors. Try comparing the difference in your caloric intake from your new diet.

1) When you ate?
    2) What you ate?
    3) What you ate at what time?
    4) How sleep do you get mer night?

if you cut out coffee and/or a pastry in the morning that used to be part of your daily diet, or your sleeping as much as you did before but, exercising more you may need additional time to rest. Your body will take longer to accept the change we have to remember rest is an equal part of our journey to a healthier life. :smile: :yawn: It's good that you are keeping track of these changes. Hope this helps.