Whats up with these Net calories 0_0 ?

Options
So, i keep thnking i got it, but seriously, whats up with these Net CAlories? Does it even matter which one i go by? Whats working for you guys?

Replies

• HeavyLiftGirl
    HeavyLiftGirl Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    What do you mean?
  • virichi08
    virichi08 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I eat, and workout... so for eaxmple, right now this is what my DAily Summary reads

Goal- 1710
    food-145
    Exercise- -599
    Net- -454....
    My net calories is -454... so do i eat more to fulfil my net calories or do i just eat to fulfill mt calorie goal of 1710?
  • princessachristina
    princessachristina Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Good question! I just thought that the next calories was adjusted after the exercise. Anyone else?
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    You are supposed to eat until your net equals the goal.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    Net = Amount in - amount out.

Basically, you've eaten 145 calories, but you've burned 599.

145-599 = -454

So, you're down 454 calories for the day. You want to be up to what MFP tells you, you should be eating.
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    If you profiled yourself as doing less exercise than you are. ie you marked sedentary but are working out five times a week, it is my understanding that yes, you should eat back at least part of your exercise calories, particularly if you're hungry. Because MFP sets you up with a particular calorie deficit and eating below that gives you a much larger calorie deficit which might not be particularly healthy for you to have.

That said, I believe if you have a lot, as in 75 plus to lose, you can pretty much ignore that if you feel okay, or not hungry.

Some one has to have the link to the really good explanation that was up recently.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    I eat, and workout... so for eaxmple, right now this is what my DAily Summary reads

Goal- 1710
    food-145
    Exercise- -599
    Net- -454....
    My net calories is -454... so do i eat more to fulfil my net calories or do i just eat to fulfill mt calorie goal of 1710?

net calories = food eaten - exercise. ASSUMING (big assumption) you are not overestimating....you want your net to = your goal.
  • twaltemade
    twaltemade Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    It is the "net" calorie that your body has taken in today. The amount you have eaten less any you have burned thru exercise.
  • KNarrainen
    KNarrainen Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    You're only eating 145 calories in a day, that's less than 2 bananas.

But yes, the calories accounts for your exercise and ensures that you are eating enough, whilst still losing however much you have put in as your weekly loss.

Otherwise you are not giving your body enough fuel.

on your homepage at the top of all the exrecise and net calories stats, it tells you how much you have left to eat for that day.
    Ideally it should be zero at the end of the day, or near enough.
  • claire7090
    claire7090 Posts: 67
    Options

Goal- 1710
    food-145
    Exercise- -599
    Net- -454....

My profile often looks similar to this in the morning it is because you have eaten less than you have burnt exercising. The Net reading is what you have achieved so far today. As you add your food for the rest of the day your net value will increase. Ultimate aim with MFP is to have the NET column reading less than or the same as the GOAL column.

To work out what your goal calories are if you are eating back all your exercise calories you need to add Goal and Exercise calories together.

Hope this helps. x
  • KNarrainen
    KNarrainen Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Sorry I just realised that you said that, that was your stats right now, so you are planning on eating more later. Sorry for not reading properly.
  • UnleashingLovely
    Options
    If you're losing weight I see just eat back 1/2 your exercise calories.
  • bevtyndall
    bevtyndall Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    So its best to eat half or all of exercise calories back?
  • virichi08
    virichi08 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    omg! yes, im soooo going to eat more food today. that wasnt even brekfast, just early morning snacking and coffe calories. lol
  • HeavyLiftGirl
    HeavyLiftGirl Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    Just like with a paycheck, "net" is what you take home and the "gross" was the original number. Your "gross" is your original calorie goal for the day, and "net" was what your body actually got. You need to try and get back up to your "gross" amount with your food consumption.

Hope this helps!