Toning

Options
It took me a while, but I now realise that I don't want to loose too much weight anymore, but the problem is toning! Which exercises are good for toning legs and stomach, without getting to muscly?

Replies

• Plates559
    Plates559 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    1. Toning is a myth, it is physically impossible to "tone" You can either build or destroy muscle. gain or lose fat. To appear athletic or toned *shudders* you must build muscle and drop fat.

2. You are a woman there for you do not have enough of the hormone -testosterone- to build muscle like a man can. You could lift super heavy weight and the only way you will get bulky is if you eat like a sumo wrestler or take steroids.

3. Great exercises for your legs and core would be: Squats, Lunges, GHR, Deadlifts, Planks. That is more than enough to get you started.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Can you post a picture of "too muscly"?

I've been lifting heavy for 8 months. I don't think I am "too muscly".

I'd suggest this:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/560459-stronglifts-5x5-summary
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options
    1. Toning is a myth, it is physically impossible to "tone" You can either build or destroy muscle. gain or lose fat. To appear athletic or toned *shudders* you must build muscle and drop fat.

2. You are a woman there for you do not have enough of the hormone -testosterone- to build muscle like a man can. You could lift super heavy weight and the only way you will get bulky is if you eat like a sumo wrestler or take steroids.

3. Great exercises for your legs and core would be: Squats, Lunges, GHR, Deadlifts, Planks. That is more than enough to get you started.

Listen!!!!! He knows. :)
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I suggest looking at the book "starting strength" ... it talks about basic compound exercises like squats, bench press, overhead press, etc and lays out a routine. There's also "stronglifts" which is similar.
  • RuthSweetTooth
    RuthSweetTooth Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    I bought these little stretchy tubes from Walmart. I can see and feel the difference, they are mostly good for arms. They are called long length tubes and they are yellow, medium resistance.
  • lorilynnschisler
    lorilynnschisler Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    You should consider a good mix of cardio & strength training. One without the other is no good. Especially for us women. You won't regret it. You will be amazed at how muscle can burn fat. Amazing and addictive! Good luck:)
  • ItsDiana
    ItsDiana Posts: 60
    Options
    Thanks for the help guys :D