Veggies....

Options
Heya

I am not getting any veggies. I am finally exercising, finally got my 8 glasses of water in, now I wanna keep improving my "program" so I am looking for suggestions.

I have to take all my food to work.. only get 1/2 hour lunch and can't "go out" to lunch... so what I bring, I eat. Can't make anything like steamed broccoli because I share an office and the person in there with me is...uhh... "picky" I guess I will say, and sprays Febreeze every time someone comes in and leaves.... get the picture? :ohwell:

I like all veggies... they don't seem to microwave well though... at least what I have tried.

So.... I am stuck making stuff the night before and putting it in the fridge and microwaving the next day.

Anyone have any recipes or ideas that fit all these parameters?.... thanks!

Replies

• coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    Can you bring carrot sticks, celery, cauliflower, broccoli, cucumbers, with some ranch dressing to dip them in? That's what I bring sometimes.

I wouldn't worry about what anyone else thinks about your food, bring that steamed broccoli, they will get over it!

I have to take all my food to work too and I only get a 1/2 hour as well, so it doesn't give enough time to actually make something small. Maybe you could make a stiry fry with lots of veggies and some rice/noodles, and bring that and warm it up in the microwave, it's good!
  • Meg_78
    Meg_78 Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    I agree that veggies don't reheat that well, you could try lightly steaming them at home then making a cold salad of sorts with them for the next day, toss them in light vinaigrette, or just some oil and lemon and have them with regular salad, or just use a lot of veggies that you don't need to cook at all to make a salad plate and have it with some chicken/tuna and egg...if you want hot food I think veggie stews and curries tend to re heat well (and esp with curries, there are lots of amazing Indian curry recipes available on the net with veggies and lentils in, but they may offend your office partner, though I'd kinda lean towards saying fark it and take them any way cause they are so tasty...another less stinky option would be a good hearty veggie soup (minestrone, garden vegetable etc), travels and re heats well!
  • justiningham
    justiningham Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I make up a chicken salad.

Loads of mixed salad (usually a whole bag) , tomato, cucumber, sugar snap, pepper etc and then a packet of pre-cooked chicken (whole pack), which is quick, easy and takes minimal preparation - in addition, it's loaded with protein (45g), low in fat and only cost 300 kcal!!!!

As an alternative I also use a can of tuna instead of the chicken and mix it with tsaziki (not sure on spelling!?) whcih is also delicious and cuts the smell of tuna down!

Also dont forget that bananas, apples, pears and lots of other fruit are easy to transport and are good for you.

Good luck.
  • stuffinmuffin
    stuffinmuffin Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    As above take a salad!!! Tuna or chicken can be really filling and you can add pasta etc.
  • _Mimi_
    _Mimi_ Posts: 233
    Options
    In the winter I roast a bunch of veggies and take to work. In the summer, I grill them. I use them in salad, or just microwave as a side dish. This time of year my favorite veggie is green beans! I cook up a big batch, with a strip or two of nitrite free bacon....depending on how many beans I'm doing. Just a little bacon goes a long way for flavor!...I think these heat us extremely well in the microwave. PLEASE use a glass bowl, or heat on a plate. At the very least, use a new plastic container that is BPA free!

I'm bummed at the moment cuz I just found out my beloved beets are more carb than veggie. I think I knew that, but blocked it from my mind. LOL I'm still going to eat them though....especially right now when I can get the sweetest baby beets ever from my local farm!

You keep this up, and I really am gonna have to make a trip down there to give you a big ole hug!!! :flowerforyou: :smooched: :drinker:

ETA: I forgot to mention one important factor to reheating. Do not overcook the veggies to begin with! You can also look up microwaving tips online, and cook most vegetables right in the microwave.
  • _Mimi_
    _Mimi_ Posts: 233
    Options
    Oh! If you do much grilling, also try grilled romaine lettuce. Just take a head of romaine, wash, cut in half length-wise. Spray with a little olive oil and some salt (sea salt, if possible) and pepper. Grill just until the outter leaves are a bit charred on the tips. You will either love it, or hate it. I LOVE it! You can also use Italian dressing in place of the oil, salt and pepper.
  • mcrowe1016
    mcrowe1016 Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    I like raw broccoli just fine. I eat about two servings at lunch and lightly dip it in raanch dressing (a mixture of half regular ranch and half fat free)

Take one minute to chop up the broccoli the night before and pour out how much dressing you want.
  • RuthSweetTooth
    RuthSweetTooth Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    That works well, just make a big batch of veggiesat dinner and just warm leftovers at work. Also, you could plan to eat a fruit at work or a salad. I do that alot once school has started. I'm a teacher and no one has a shorter lunch break than us !!! LOL Now you know why the symbol of the teacher is an apple.
  • thedove34
    thedove34 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    many grocery stores have pre-packed veggie container packs (carrots, celery, cauliflower, broccoli) with dipping sauces in the middle of container. I would buy a couple of those each week, keep them in th fridge and grab it for your lunch.
    its easy, fast and smell=free : )
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I like to pack a miz of raw veggies...cucumber slices, raw broccoli, baby carrots, sliced green pepper, cherry tomatoes, etc... I usually eat them plain, but it that's not for you, you could dip them in some dressing (just make sure you portion this properly). Also, salads, topped with a can of low sodium tuna or some leftover grilled chicken breast from dinner the night before, are a nice option. I would also google some recipes for cold salads made with raw veggies. You might have to tweak them a little to make them more healthy (alot of these salads use loads of regular mayo/sugar/salt). Also, veggies reheat better the next day if you don't cook them all the way the night before. Just lightly steam them, so that they don't end up over cooked after being reheated.
  • Woodmangler
    Woodmangler Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    many grocery stores have pre-packed veggie container packs (carrots, celery, cauliflower, broccoli) with dipping sauces in the middle of container. I would buy a couple of those each week, keep them in th fridge and grab it for your lunch.
    its easy, fast and smell=free : )

Wow! ... that has some serious potential!

If I can avoid a bunch of food prep I am all for that!

Thanks