MFP CALORIES BURNT VS. MACHINE CALORIES BURNT

Options
So it occurred to me last night. I was working out and when I was done i logged my exercise in MFP. When I looked at the calories burned it said 477 but when I looked at the machine I was on it said i had burn right around 390-400 (cant remember the exact number). Why is that? Which was is correct and which one should I go by? I clearly don't want to fool myself into thinking the higher one is right but i also don't want to be down thinking the lower one is right.

I need help and information!!!!!

Replies

• cunfewzed1
    cunfewzed1 Posts: 80
    Options
    So it occurred to me last night. I was working out and when I was done i logged my exercise in MFP. When I looked at the calories burned it said 477 but when I looked at the machine I was on it said i had burn right around 390-400 (cant remember the exact number). Why is that? Which was is correct and which one should I go by? I clearly don't want to fool myself into thinking the higher one is right but i also don't want to be down thinking the lower one is right.

I need help and information!!!!!

I think that both are over-shooting it personally. I usually round down. In this situation, go with 350. Then, if anything you've under-quoted your cals = greater deficit!

a heart rate monitor may get you a little closer, but I don't think those are completely accurate either. Just continue to err on the side of caution and you'll be good to go.
  • kylejh
    kylejh Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Use the machine. It knows your speed and weight combination (assuming you entered your weight when you started). The only machine I've come across that is close to accurate with the MFP calculations is the stair-climber; with everything else, MFP seems high in calories burned.
  • Lovelybirdxx
    Lovelybirdxx Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Use the machine. It knows your speed and weight combination (assuming you entered your weight when you started). The only machine I've come across that is close to accurate with the MFP calculations is the stair-climber; with everything else, MFP seems high in calories burned.

One thing i will have to remember to do is enter my weight. This helped out a lot. Thank You! I never know which one to follow especially when i do circuit training. I always wonder how many calories are actually burnt,
  • TravelDog14
    TravelDog14 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Both the calories burned that MFP and my treadmill give me always seem high, so I always adjust the calories burned downward.

I would much rather be low on my burn than the other way around.
  • kylejh
    kylejh Posts: 221 Member
    Options

One thing i will have to remember to do is enter my weight. This helped out a lot. Thank You! I never know which one to follow especially when i do circuit training. I always wonder how many calories are actually burnt,

I use the MFP calculation for circuit training. It's a bit of an unknown to figure out without a heart rate monitor, but I'd say it's pretty close. :)