Stupidest fight you've ever had with your SO

Options

Replies

• jad54
    jad54 Posts: 192
    Options
    My husband and I are HUGE college and NFL football fans for different teams. My team lost a big game and all hell broke loose. Now we have a plan to "support" each others teams unless we are playing each other. Then it is on :)

My gf is a Packers fan and I'm a Bears fan. This will be our first fall together. Should be very very interesting.
  • Amryfal
    Amryfal Posts: 225
    Options
    I find it seriously hard to believe that people are saying that they dont ever disagree in a long term relationship with their SO. Are you seriously saying that in 5 or 10 or 20 years you have never disagreed? Not a yelling, screaming, embarassing the kids kind of argument.....but you have never had a silly argument or disagreement? I dont buy that whatsoever. No matter how perfect your relationship might be, disagreements and arguments are not only normal but I think healthy.

disagreement is healthy, but i think some people argue more than others. that's not to say it's bad - if your relationship is working and the arguments aren't breaking you up, more power to you!

i used to fight with my ex and all the BFs i had after my divorce - really bad fights, and frequent. i thought it was just the way people are. then i met my fiance (who used to fight with his ex all the time, too) and in three years together, we have had exactly one disagreement that led to an actual argument. it was over our differing parenting styles.

we disagree on a few things, but in general our opinions are so much in tune that we never disagree. IT'S SO PEACEFUL. i can't even begin to describe the relief of bringing up a potentially explosive subject and NOT having a fight over it. sometimes he annoys me - too much time on the computer and not enough attention to me; or, i care a lot about politics and get very heated over some things, but he doesn't care much and very rarely expresses a political opinion, and i'm like "MY GOD DON'T YOU CARE ABOUT X, Y, AND Z?"

but i fully expect that in 25 years we'll be that couple who can't remember the last time we had even a small disagreement.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    A stupid fight I had in the past was with my ex. I was a little (very) upset because I had just found out one of my friends (and employees at the time) who was only 20 had committed suicide. BF at the time said something to me and I snapped at him while I was trying to gather my things to go to the candlelight vigil the same day I'd found out, I was a little testy. Instead of understanding, he began screaming at me all the way out the door and then waited until I was down the stairs to throw a lighter at my head.

:indifferent:

My current BF and I never fight! :drinker: :laugh:
  • alleycat88
    alleycat88 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    My husband and I are HUGE college and NFL football fans for different teams. My team lost a big game and all hell broke loose. Now we have a plan to "support" each others teams unless we are playing each other. Then it is on :)

My gf is a Packers fan and I'm a Bears fan. This will be our first fall together. Should be very very interesting.

Thank god we both like the lsu tigers and the saints because we are both die hard fans. If we rooted for opposing teams heads would roll
  • mamabear0222
    mamabear0222 Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    We're to females, so pretty much once a month (we are syncronized when it comes to TOM) we have some crazy, silly arguments and fights that makes no sense in hinsight.

Two girls on PMS - one which can't even have chocolate because it will be bad for me - yeah... There's drama...

Totally off topic but I LOVE your wedding photo!!! - you both look beautiful with the white and the calla lillies!
  • je551caDan13ls
    Options
    Sad but true, a SPOON. My now ex-husband wanted a bowl of cereal and needed a spoon to eat it. There wasn't a clean spoon in the kitchen and instead of just washing one he tried to eat the cereal with a fork. Told him to just wash a spoon and then ta-da he coulda had some milk with each bite...After lookin at me like I was from outerspace, he said "umm...that's your job." Well of course there was a "hell-no" when I replied. Lets just say a spoon led to much needed introspection of self along with otherstuff, there are reasons we are ex's...a spoon was a catalyst.
  • Ashley_Panda
    Ashley_Panda Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    The only fighting I do with my husband is between the sheets and we both like it.
  • mamabear0222
    Options
    Celebrating 20 year anniversary on 8/15. Can honestly say we have never had a fight. Stupid or otherwise.

seriously? a good fight every now and again is healthy ... would she say the same? Men see things differently sometimes
    What's a fight to me, isnt always to my hubby and vice versa ...
  • Amryfal
    Amryfal Posts: 225
    Options
    The only fighting I do with my husband is between the sheets and we both like it.

hahaha well said :)
  • mamabear0222
    Options
    I find it seriously hard to believe that people are saying that they dont ever disagree in a long term relationship with their SO. Are you seriously saying that in 5 or 10 or 20 years you have never disagreed? Not a yelling, screaming, embarassing the kids kind of argument.....but you have never had a silly argument or disagreement? I dont buy that whatsoever. No matter how perfect your relationship might be, disagreements and arguments are not only normal but I think healthy.

^^ this
  • LonLB
    LonLB Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    Sad but true, a SPOON. My now ex-husband wanted a bowl of cereal and needed a spoon to eat it. There wasn't a clean spoon in the kitchen and instead of just washing one he tried to eat the cereal with a fork. Told him to just wash a spoon and then ta-da he coulda had some milk with each bite...After lookin at me like I was from outerspace, he said "umm...that's your job." Well of course there was a "hell-no" when I replied. Lets just say a spoon led to much needed introspection of self along with otherstuff, there are reasons we are ex's...a spoon was a catalyst.

Sounds like you should have done dishes more often.

:laugh:
  • PaveGurl
    PaveGurl Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    probably the DUMBEST fight is that we both want the other to choose something that will make them happy. "What do you want for dinner?" "I dunno, whatever makes you happy." "Well, I want you to have something you want." "I will be fine; what o YOU want?"

Sometimes, it actually turns into a fight, which is retarded 'cos we're both trying to e nice! *laugh*
  • TubbsMcGee
    TubbsMcGee Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    "who likes potatoes more, Russians or the Irish?"
    (I'm Irish, he's Russian)
    This turned into a screaming match and us not talking to each other for the rest of the night.

...I still think the Irish like potatoes more, but we decided never to bring the topic up ever again.
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    When I was pregnant, my husband and I got into a fight about the laundry.

He still mocks me for it, but damn it, the laundry needed to be done RIGHT THEN and he didn't understand the urgency and LAUGHED in my face! So of COURSE I was going to cry and it was going to be a thing.

After, it was entirely all too funny, but at the time, it was serious as heck!
  • jad54
    jad54 Posts: 192
    Options

Thank god we both like the lsu tigers and the saints because we are both die hard fans. If we rooted for opposing teams heads would roll

Haha. Thankfully our other teams are all the same (Notre Dame, Bulls, Cubs, Blackhawks). Speaking of the Saints, I hope they boo Goodell at the HOF dinner on Friday. I just heard the entire team is showing up. Complete BS how harshly he punished your squad. I'd be livid if it was the Bears.
  • sbernardy
    sbernardy Posts: 188
    Options
    When I was a kid, my mom and dad always got into the BIGGEST, most awful arguments. On one such occasion, something started an argument (I can't remember exactly what started it, but it was probably money related), by the end of it they were screaming in each other's faces and calling each other horrible names over...wait for it...who started the argument! :huh: :noway: That was the straw that broke the camel's back for me. I had to step in a be the parent in that situation. I threw my bedroom door open and screamed over both of them, "SHUUUUUT UUUUP! :explode: :mad: Do you HEAR yourselves?!!! If one of the boys (I have three brothers) and I were arguing over something so ludicrous, you'd tear our butts up! It may only take one comment by one party to START an argument, but it takes at least TWO people to perpetuate it. No matter how right you THINK you are, one of you needs to be the bigger person and let it go. I'm tired of hearing the arguing all the time. Either get some counseling, or get a divorce." :angry:

This is how my parents were too.. I remember them always fighting and me and my sister would always tell them they need to get a divorce.. (and we were young at the time (12, 14) and we even knew it wasn't healthy.. Needless to say when I was 18 they divorced)

FYI: I was sixteen at the time this happened, so I wasn't a six year old using words like "ludicrous" and "perpetuate". LOL
  • purplegoboom
    purplegoboom Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    My husband? Yes, we've had minor disagreements, and sometimes we bicker at each other, but more in a fun "it's funny to pick on you" sort of way. We don't have screaming matches, and we're both really laid back so the little, stupid stuff doesn't bother us.

But....my ex fiance. Oh, holy God, my ex fiance. The most stupid things would set him off, and he would do the most childish, moronic things to retaliate. There was the one time I went with my mother and aunt to dinner while he was working (since he didn't get off until 10 that night) and when he came home, he said "I'm hungry, let's go to dinner." I replied that I had eaten with my mother and aunt that night, their treat. He proceeded to blow up at me and exclaim that I betrayed him (???) and as my "punishment" refused to eat that night. Yes, starving yourself really taught me a lesson.(sarcasm) The next night he went and had dinner with his mother and stepfather without me, even though I later found out they issued me an invitation, and proceeded to come home and tell me of the delightfull time he had and the delicious food he had eaten. *rolls eyes*

Another thing that would upset me.....I like to cook, and everyone who has ever eaten what I made compliments the meal. Well, dear ex fiance refused to eat anything I cooked from scratch. It had to be from a box or can, like Hamburger Helper. He also wanted fast food all the time (even if we had little money to get it) and would complain about how much weight he had to lose. Whenever I pointed out it would be cheaper and healthier if I would cook and prepare the majority of our meals at home, he said that suggestion was disgusting, and would go out and get a burger from Wendy's. It also got on my nerves that whenever we went to a resturant, he had to have chicken tenders and french fries, and would complain endlessly when they didn't have chicken tenders and french fries. He ruined my 20th birthday dinner with his whining.

Thankfully, I'm married to someone who isn't so childish.
  • Wenchilada
    Wenchilada Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    We've had very few fights, but the stupidest I can remember is a fight we got in over him not thinking that I fight people enough.

We had a HUGE fight about this when we were in college, and he dumped me, because I didn't fight The System hard enough in regard to my RA position (long story short, I had a notoriously "difficult" floor but they were actually very good girls - there was some serious institutional racism in play - I caught a lot of flak for them, and I ended up resigning my position that day because the stress was too much for me to handle while also trying to pass my classes). I gave my engagement ring back to him. He put all of my stuff that was in his room in a cardboard box and set it down at the dorm lobby, and I had to go downstairs to pick it up in front of everyone. I called my dad and begged him to come pick me up from school (I lived 4 hours away and didn't have a car) but there was an ice storm, so he couldn't. I sobbed in my room all night, and then he paged up to my floor a few hours later, half-drunk (he very rarely drinks) and all giggly. We ended up making up a few days later, and eventually he realized that I had done everything I could without completely sacrificing myself - but my god, that was a nasty fight.

12 years later, he still gets on me if I don't "damn the man" enough, but he's also realized that I do fight and stand up for myself - I just don't always do it in a way that he immediately recognizes.
  • Heaven71
    Heaven71 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    We have never had a fight. We have had one major disagreement but never a fight or argument. Over 3 years and counting! <3
  • Heaven71
    Heaven71 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    My husband? Yes, we've had minor disagreements, and sometimes we bicker at each other, but more in a fun "it's funny to pick on you" sort of way. We don't have screaming matches, and we're both really laid back so the little, stupid stuff doesn't bother us.

But....my ex fiance. Oh, holy God, my ex fiance. The most stupid things would set him off, and he would do the most childish, moronic things to retaliate. There was the one time I went with my mother and aunt to dinner while he was working (since he didn't get off until 10 that night) and when he came home, he said "I'm hungry, let's go to dinner." I replied that I had eaten with my mother and aunt that night, their treat. He proceeded to blow up at me and exclaim that I betrayed him (???) and as my "punishment" refused to eat that night. Yes, starving yourself really taught me a lesson.(sarcasm) The next night he went and had dinner with his mother and stepfather without me, even though I later found out they issued me an invitation, and proceeded to come home and tell me of the delightfull time he had and the delicious food he had eaten. *rolls eyes*

Another thing that would upset me.....I like to cook, and everyone who has ever eaten what I made compliments the meal. Well, dear ex fiance refused to eat anything I cooked from scratch. It had to be from a box or can, like Hamburger Helper. He also wanted fast food all the time (even if we had little money to get it) and would complain about how much weight he had to lose. Whenever I pointed out it would be cheaper and healthier if I would cook and prepare the majority of our meals at home, he said that suggestion was disgusting, and would go out and get a burger from Wendy's. It also got on my nerves that whenever we went to a resturant, he had to have chicken tenders and french fries, and would complain endlessly when they didn't have chicken tenders and french fries. He ruined my 20th birthday dinner with his whining.

Thankfully, I'm married to someone who isn't so childish.

I think I left your ex 5 years ago. LOL He would do some stupid stuff and suffer to teach me a lesson. The lesson I learned...leave! Hahaha