Watermelon for breakfast?

Options
Hi all, I am new and I have a question about watermelon! I am not a big breakfast eater, in fact I hate it. But I do know that if I dont eat anything, I usually end up overeating later in the day. Lately, I have been eating watermelon for breakfast. A deli by my job sells what seems like 2.5/3 cups of diced watermelon, I will get that and an unsweetened iced tea.

Is that going to stunt my weightloss? I read something like the spike from the sugar is low, so it shouldnt, but I was wondering if anyone had some personal experience with it.

Thanks!

Replies

• AmeChops
    AmeChops Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    Unless there is some medical reason that you should not be eating either sugar, fruit or just watermelon then go right ahead and eat it. I can't think of any reason that it would 'stunt' your weight loss...unless, of course, you ate a swimming pool full of it...or you're following a very low-carb eating plan.
  • twinnstar
    twinnstar Posts: 3
    Options
    Okay, i was just wondering cause of the sugar, thanks.
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    Most people on here don't worry about the sugar in fruits.. its the ADDED sugar to items that you need to track.. so if you put additional sugar on watermelon, then that would be tracked..
    And fruit for breakfast isn't going to stunt your weight loss.. but you may want to eat other things with that as well to fight hunger later on. (some protein)
  • joeamendiola
    Options
    I don't believe fruit makes people fat. I've never seen a fat vegan.
  • Angie_1MR
    Angie_1MR Posts: 247
    Options
    add some protein and fat, it will keep you full longer
  • pdj1220
    pdj1220 Posts: 175
    Options
    Most people on here don't worry about the sugar in fruits.. its the ADDED sugar to items that you need to track.. so if you put additional sugar on watermelon, then that would be tracked..
    And fruit for breakfast isn't going to stunt your weight loss.. but you may want to eat other things with that as well to fight hunger later on. (some protein)
    I agree with this, but the protein tends to help me with later cravings. As an added bonus, watermelon acts as a natural diuretic.
  • ShaSimone
    ShaSimone Posts: 276
    Options
    Sounds delish and refreshing. Love watermelon.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    Watermelon is also VERY low in calories, compared to other fruit. It's not called *water*melon for nothing.
  • gatorginger
    gatorginger Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I eat watermelon all the time as a mid morning snack and it hasn't hurt my weight loss at all
  • meglynne1987
    meglynne1987 Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I have watermelon alot for breakfast... Low calories and it's sweet, it does well for me but i need a snack a couple hours later.
  • StarvingDiva
    StarvingDiva Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    I sometimes eat chicken for breakfast. Whatever, people think it's weird but I eat what I want when I want. Watermelon isn't going to stunt your weight loss goals.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    Dude fruits are awesome! Like somebody said, besides a medical reason, forget your concern over the sugar in fruits.

Heres the thing, sugar is sugar as far as body processing. Be it natural or artificial. HOWEVER, the sugar you get via fruits and veggies usually comes packed with many other nutrition (and deliciousness of fruits) so I say, say no to the cake and dive into a watermelon for breakfast, lunch and dinner!
  • aries4life28
    Options
    I was checking out your weightloss 120 that is phenominal great job! What was your regeiment?
  • aries4life28
    Options
    watermelon is good but I agree with the others add a protein to your meal.
    slice of turkey, boiled egg, or even a half of sandwich.
  • shirleygirl910
    shirleygirl910 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    Breakfast doesn't have to be eggs, bacon, cereal etc. You can have a sandwich, a piece of chicken, anything you like. Some of us don't like traditional breakfast foods. You do need a carb and a protein though. Breakfast is the most important meal of the day don't cheat yourself.

Remember the old saying, "Eat breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince, and dinner like a pauper.” ,
  • twinnstar
    Options
    Thanks everyone!! :)
  • freerange
    freerange Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    I don't believe fruit makes people fat. I've never seen a fat vegan.

LOL, there is a thread on here now about fat vegans