why am i gaining weight?

Options
I have been working out mostly 3 days a week anywhere from 30-60 min most of which is cardio (minimum 30min) and the rest weights. 2 weeks ago i was 7lbs lighter than today. I dont know what Im doing wrong. I am trying to stay with 1220 calories a day (unless I've worked out) and trying to drink 4-8 cups of water a day. does anybody have any ideas?

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    What happened before 2 weeks ago - you ate more ? exercised less ? gained / lost ? How tall are you.
  • amandatim2
    amandatim2 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'5" and nothing has really changed from the 2 week prior this weight gain. I am down 1.8 this am from my originall post kbut that still doesnt take me back. I am & was exercising and eating the same. The only thing I can think of that changed is I was drinking a lot of water and now not so much. I read somewhere that this may be the problem, but IDK.
    I know I have been having slow progress compaired to what MFP says every time I update my diary, "keep this up and you'll weigh XXX in 5 week....this is my 45 day and I have yet to see this figure.....getting frustrated!
  • now_or_never12
    now_or_never12 Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    Are you eating a lot of sodium? Processed foods? Do you measure and weigh your foods and drink to ensure you track the proper amount? Do you double check the nutrional information from the database to what you are eating (a lot of entries are wrong). Do you have a heart rate monitor that you use to get your calories burned? If you don't and are eating your exercise calories this website estimates too high.
  • jpohoney
    jpohoney Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    is it coming to youTOM? water retention? I can change about 5lbs in a day.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    make sure you are logging everything accurately as 1200 is not alot of food and you shouldn't be gaining 7lb in a fortnight.
  • amandatim2
    Options
    I do eat the calories I've exercised b/c MFP says they already put you at a deficit to lose weight w/o working out. I do have a HR monitor, however I've only had it a week now. I forgot to use it tonight, but in compairing it to the machines it is fairly spot on so I put in their caloies, I never use the calories MFP say I burned.

I had just finished my time of the month about a week ago now. I try not to eat much sodium, I never add it to anything b/c I work with cardiac patients I dont want to be a hipacrit when I tell them not to do/use something.

I think I'm going to stop using weights, I think this may have something to do with it and just focus on cardio till I get closer to my goal.

I am open to anyother suggestions.

Thanks for all your thoughts......
  • jhardenbergh
    jhardenbergh Posts: 1,035 Member
    Options
    do you eat processed foods and meals because that can cause you to retain water (alot of sodium). If you do I recommend drinking more than 8 glasses a day.
  • spiregrain
    spiregrain Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    You may be gaining muscle from the weights, which is good. Muscle weighs more than fat so it can look like a plateau sometimes when you are managing to "convert" fat to muscle. This happened to me last week (I'd been doing some strength stuff) and I was so discouraged until I did my measurements and realized I had dropped a size and a half on my "plateau".
  • GnochhiGnomes
    GnochhiGnomes Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't recommend stopping the weights, because all that'll do is cause you to lose muscle mass than before. When on a calorie deficient diet you can't really build muscle.
  • significance
    significance Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    7 lbs in 2 weeks is probably largely fluctuations due to changes in water weight, but it is on the high side for that. Are you weighing daily and taking a running average, or weighing only weekly? If the latter, it is possible that you happened to be lighter than usual on your weighing day two weeks ago (dehydrated, not much in your stomach or bowel) and heavier than usual when you weighed recently (the reverse). In which case, you have nothing to worry about: just keep it up and wait for the long-term payoff.

How many calories are you estimating from your exercise? For women, estimates from heart rate monitors are only accurate to within about 30% and estimates from online calculators are even fuzzier. It can be easy to over-estimate.

I agree with those who have recommended you not stop the weights. That will keep your muscles and metabolism intact.
  • brjustice2000
    Options
    You didn't mention your starting weight, and please don't since you can use this info to think over what you are doing.

If you eat processed food, you get a lot of salt. Read the labels and limit your total salt intake. Salt makes you retain water.

MFP lets you track different nutrients and see your goal, what you have used, and have you have left or gone over. Plan your meals so that at the end of the day, you have fats, carbs, sugar, and salt left over. One week I expected to lose almost 3 lbs based on my calorie deficit, but I gained 1.6 lbs. After talking to the head personal trainer at the gym, I started monitoring my sugars and started losing weight again. I was sick last week, missed working out 4 days but still had a calorie deficit to lose 1.25 lbs. I gained 2.2 lbs. Where did I go wrong, when I don't exercise, I actually eat more and had too many fats and sugars.
    Today I had a good workout of 30 minutes of stretching, 60 minutes of heavy weight lifting, 20 minutes of light weight lifting, 70 minutes on a treadmill, and 21 minutes of total walking for cool downs.

If you don't do strength training, you can expect to lose muscle mass. Muscle is what burns your calories!!!! Since you have bought a heart rate monitor, consider buying a body fat monitor; mine was about $30 on amazon.com with free shipping. Body fat percentage is a better indicator of a healthy weight instead of just looking at the total pounds. Consider focusing on losing fat not muscle. One pound of muscle burns approx 50 calories a day. Add 10 pounds of muscle to torch 500 calories a day times 7 days = 3,500 calories which is equal to a pound of fat. My body fat % is down 2 points from March and 10 points from last summer.

Another good indicator of success is the lose of inches. I only measure my waist, and have lost almost 5 inches since I started MFP in March 2012 and almost 9 inches since last summer.

Sadly, there is much more to this than calories eaten minus calories burned. If it were that simple, I would probably have another 10 lbs lost. I now try to eat close to my Basic Metabolic Need which is just under 10 calories per pound of body weight. I have tossed out the idea of cheat days. I try to eat what my body needs and create my calorie deficit from exercise.

I have been much more successful in my efforts using MFP to do portion control, monitor salt, sugar, carbs, fats, and ensure that I also have enough protein to replenish/repair muscles when strength training. The other benefits are getting off all my meds but one and intend to get off that last one.

A few days ago, I read a post where a person thought that people saying what worked for them was bullying. I disagree!! If you don't like what you are reading, move onto to the next post/reply. I believe that the vast majority of us are simply sharing what is working for us. You can try the things we do or ignore. If someone posts to only eat vegetables, I will just move on because I love my meat, but have cut my intake of meat by more than half and eat lean meat.

Getting frustrated is easy. Just hang in there and keep working on it because you can succeed!! We are all similar and different. What works for one person may need to be tweaked to work for another person. A temperature of 98.6 and the nurse and doctor tell me its right where it needs to be NORMAL. I tell them I'm sick because that is 1.2 to 1.4 above my NORMAL. Take everything you read with the proverbial grain of salt because very little written by all of us is absolute.

Have a great day.
  • amandatim2
    Options
    ok thanks everyone for your thoughts, its nice to see people not knowing each other care to resposnd to how others are feelling. we are all in the same boat i guess.

here is my plan: I will continue with the weights, I will drink at least 8/8oz glasses of water a day, I will try to only weigh myself weekly on mondays, and I will keep you posted.

I do have one last question if anybody knows, how often should you be using the weights a week, I was doing them everytime I went to the gym just before doing my cardio to get my HR up before cardio to get more out of my cardio......so whats the consensus?
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    You should lift 2 to 3 times a week. And decently sized weights. Should FEEL it.

Keep in mind that as you use your muscle, they will need more energy supplies, so the body will store more in them, which will also cause more water retention.

As well, fluctuations in sodium greatly change my scale weight. If I get 2500mg of sodium on Wednesday, I weight 2 pounds more on Thursday than if I had gotten 500mg of sodium.

Make sure you are getting plenty of protein though. about 25% +/- 5%. It is vital.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    working out will make you gain false weight. I read an excellent article on it .. something about .the tissues in your muscles store water for a while. I think it could be two to six weeks before you start seeing losses.

This is why I don't work out yet. I want my weight down ..or even hit a stall before I do that..then I wouldn't weigh for a while so it won't mess with my head.
  • d2footballJRC
    d2footballJRC Posts: 2,684 Member
    Options
    You may be gaining muscle from the weights, which is good. Muscle weighs more than fat so it can look like a plateau sometimes when you are managing to "convert" fat to muscle. This happened to me last week (I'd been doing some strength stuff) and I was so discouraged until I did my measurements and realized I had dropped a size and a half on my "plateau".

No just No.... Not 7 pounds in such a short of time... SHHHHHH!!!! You people telling people they are gaining 5-7lbs of muscle in such a short time is not helping at all!

OP.. You aren't drinking enough water if you are only drinking 4 cups of water daily. Especially on days you are working out.

Working out, especially weights will cause you to take on water to repair the muscles. Also remember your body holds onto water when you eat carbs as well. It's not a large amount but 1 gallon of water is 8lbs so think of that!
  • d2footballJRC
    d2footballJRC Posts: 2,684 Member
    Options
    ok thanks everyone for your thoughts, its nice to see people not knowing each other care to resposnd to how others are feelling. we are all in the same boat i guess.

here is my plan: I will continue with the weights, I will drink at least 8/8oz glasses of water a day, I will try to only weigh myself weekly on mondays, and I will keep you posted.

I do have one last question if anybody knows, how often should you be using the weights a week, I was doing them everytime I went to the gym just before doing my cardio to get my HR up before cardio to get more out of my cardio......so whats the consensus?

You should hit the weights depending on your work out program. People saying 2-3 is not always true. I don't go by weeks.

Ex. I have a Day A. Day B. Day C. in my weight program. 4th day is strict cardio, then rest day then repeat so some weeks I could hit 4-5 days lifting under that schedule depending on how it falls on that week.
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    People, such as myself, are suggestion a good portion, if not all, her weight gain is in water. Not pure muscle mass (as it is incredibly difficult, near impossible to gain significant muscle mass in a catabolic state).

Additionally, 2 to 3 times weight lifting a week is quite sufficient and usually recommended for weight loss. She should never work out any sore muscle groups. She could spread her weight lifting time out by doing upper body and then lower body, thus being able to do even 4 days at the gym if she felt the need, but it'd be insignificant for her goals.

A female in a catabolic state should not expect to gain any significant size differences in her muscle. Her weight lifting goals should be to maximize the efficiency of existing muscle and to encourage the body to not degrade the muscle in search for protein and calories.

And remember, significant weight resistance. Not the little 5lb ones. You should really push yourself.
  • Quasita
    Quasita Posts: 1,530 Member
    Options
    Some women lose water weight, others gain, during TOM. You said you finished a week ago. That pretty much correlates with this change. I have fluctuated over 10 pounds during this time, and usually take a good week to even out and get back to where I was.

Drink more water. Sometimes when we are craving, we eat substantial levels of certain nutrients, and it doesn't always hit immediately. In some cases, the "side effects" of these nutrients show up a couple days after the fact. The harder you work, the more your body will hold onto water... The more you drink, the easier it is for your body to let go. It holds onto this water because it's required for metabolic processes within your muscles. You either need to drink more or take rest days to balance this out.

You definitely did not gain 7 pounds of weight in muscle in that short of time.

Do you weigh naked? If not, fluctuations in clothes can make a BIG difference. My clothes weigh up to 8 pounds when I'm fully dressed. I always weigh naked, after a BM, usually right before a shower and then right after.

I also hurt when I see people eating that little. The more you work, the higher your metabolism during rest states are, you may not be fueling yourself enough during the down time.
  • lil_pixie
    lil_pixie Posts: 48
    Options
    Try measuring yourself too. I started to put weight on when I increased my exercise/weights but I was still losing inches round my waist. If you've upped your weights etc then this could lead to a temporary increase in weight as you build muscle.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,565 Member
    Options
    1) open diary if you are asking for help.
    2) always leave pertinent info:
    Weight
    Body Fat%
    3) Know basic weight loss lingo:
    BMR
    TDEE
    4) Display this info in an easy to read format for us pros to help you.

IMO you do too much cardio.
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/what-defines-cardio-in-terms-of-too-much-qa.html

You probably are cutting cals too deeply.
    Find TDEE and cut 20-30% from it then add in exercise.

Are you sleeping?

Do you get enough potassium?

Is your Protein set at a proper level according to your lean body mass?

How long have you been dieting?
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12
    This may help.
    PM if you have Qs.