Im confused about measurments for food. HELP!

Options
virichi08
virichi08 Posts: 465 Member
So i have a plastic measuring cup.... so today i found out about "dry measuring units."
So does this mean that i have been over estimating what a cup of rice is when i measure it out in the same cup that i use to measure liqiuads....?

Replies

• virichi08
    Options
    I didnt realize how many "so's" i wrote in my sentences... i was very much ingrossed in my typing that i didnt even thnk about it. lol sorry you guys.
  • katamus
    katamus Posts: 2,363 Member
    Options
    Probably. A cup of steamed rice is less than a cup of dry rice.. The steamed rice takes up more space.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Use an accurate weighing scale to be certain.

A measuring cup is ok for liquids or for free flowing dry powders / solids like rice. A measuring cup isn't any random cup you drink out of, it has a certain volume, so it depends what cup you used for liquids !
  • piesbd
    piesbd Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    They are volumetricly the same. Dry measuring cups are typically scoop like, liquid are typically made to enable pouring out of.

http://www.kitchensavvy.com/journal/2007/02/differnece_betw.html
  • piesbd
    Options

A measuring cup is ok for liquids or for free flowing dry powders / solids like rice. A measuring cup isn't any random cup you drink out of, it has a certain volume, so it depends what cup you used for liquids !

and this. To e sure of the mass, use a scale.
  • virichi08
    Options

I used an actual MEASURING cup.... before i go out and buy more measureing units, i want to make sure im not wasting money.
  • piesbd
    Options
    A scale is totally not a waste of money :)

I use mine daily for things like, 3oz of pork etc....

I use measuring cups for things like 1/2c yogurt....

You can pick one up cheaply at the big box stores. I think I got mine at Meijer for ~$16
  • mycorner99
    mycorner99 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    The best small investment I made was a digital scale/measuring cup. It will adjust to different liquids and solids as well as just act as a scale. I bought it at Target for under $20 so I know you can find one at a reasonable price.