Holy potatoes, is this why I can't lose weight?

Options
Quitting smoking = plateau?

Yet another question from yours truly.

I just put two and two together. I stopped losing weight about three weeks ago. I also had my last cigarette about three weeks ago.

Could the two be related? I’ve tried everything – upping my calories, keeping them at a deficit, going from elliptical to engaging classes and constant activity. Nothing. If I read 164 on my scale again, I might actually hurl. Three weeks running!

Then I was talking about smoking and realized maybe that’s why. I thought this was just because people who quit smoking eat in place of their cigarettes, which I haven’t done (MFP keeps me on track). Is it possible that quitting smoking has caused me to plateau? What can I do to overcome this, aside from lighting one up?

Replies

• stuffinmuffin
    stuffinmuffin Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately I can't help you that much as I quit smoking 4 months before starting MFP, however in that four months I had gained about half a stone.

Stopping smoking may have caused you to plateau, your body is going through quite a few changes when you quit smoking and if you've upped the exercise then maybe your muscles are holding onto water whilst they heal.

Personally I say a big CONGRATULATIONS on quitting smoking, against losing weight I'd rather be a non-smoker so work out where your priorities are. Don't give up and maybe whilst you wont lose weight on the scales this week - you might have a big loss the week after or the one after that. If you are following the programme, then smoking or not, you will be losing weight.

Best of luck and I hope you succeed.
  • half_moon
    half_moon Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Just read that smoking increases you metabolism by 7%. D:

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options

No. Don't start back up =)

Also I'm glad this thread wasn't about potatoes.
  • painauxraisin
    painauxraisin Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    But decreases your life expectancy by ..............................................!
  • mdelcott
    mdelcott Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Yes quitting will mess with your weight loss But it will only last so long and then your body will figure it out....So keep it up Congrats on the quit I will be 1 year free on the 28th of August.
  • skinnyfithealthyme
    Options
    The only thing I can say is are you SURE you aren't snacking more- little unaccounted for bites? When I witnessed two people close to me quit smoking they both turned to food. One constantly had to be chewing something (oral fixation) My grandpa turned to constantly eating hard candy.
    Make sure you aren't having "just a bite" here and there. They really do add up.
    I'm sorry if this is of no help or isn't your case at all, it's just all that I can think of. I commend you for quitting though, no matter what your weight is that was the best thing to do.
  • tree5981
    tree5981 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    It's probably why. I've heard that 1 cigarrette=20 min of cardio. Congrats on quitting!
  • judykraus
    judykraus Posts: 1
    Options
    Congratulations on quitting smoking... stick with it! Maybe reduce your carb intake and add in more protein? Good Luck, and don't light one up!
  • MrDude_1
    MrDude_1 Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options
    how could you call it a plateau when it takes atleast 3 weeks for it to be a plateau....?

you said you tried UPPING your calories, then tried lowering them... in otherwords, you probably averaged out to the middle.. where you will remain.

just hold a steady deficit for 3 weeks.
  • sunshine_gem
    sunshine_gem Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately I can't help you that much as I quit smoking 4 months before starting MFP, however in that four months I had gained about half a stone.

Stopping smoking may have caused you to plateau, your body is going through quite a few changes when you quit smoking and if you've upped the exercise then maybe your muscles are holding onto water whilst they heal.

Personally I say a big CONGRATULATIONS on quitting smoking, against losing weight I'd rather be a non-smoker so work out where your priorities are. Don't give up and maybe whilst you wont lose weight on the scales this week - you might have a big loss the week after or the one after that. If you are following the programme, then smoking or not, you will be losing weight.

Best of luck and I hope you succeed.

^^^This! Please don't get discouraged. The benefits you'll get from not smoking will completely outweigh this period of none weight loss. Just keep doing what you're doing and your body will catch up!
  • Fairysoul
    Fairysoul Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    Yes. But at least it's not gain :D
  • Tree72
    Tree72 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    It would make sense. Nicotine is a stimulant, even more so than caffeine. So it could definitely have an effect on your metabolism.

But giving it up is so worthwhile for your overall health. And it's good for your budget too. :happy:
  • NoSpandex
    NoSpandex Posts: 54
    Options
    I quit smoking 23 years ago. I gained weight without changing my diet or exercise, and at that time my doctor told me that when you quit smoking your metabolism does slow, but if you start back up, it does not increase. Then if you stop again, it slows again so it is then even slower than the first time you quit. So people who quit multiple times are killing their metabolism.

Your body will soon adjust to the change. The fact that you did not gain weight means you are doing great. Keep up the good work!
  • half_moon
    Options
    I have been very careful about snacking-- oddly enough, I am snacking less (used to munch on 8 - 16 almonds before a smoke break, and now I don't).

So will my body adjust? I puff on an e-cigarette now and then, but maybe only two puffs a day out of habit.

I wonder how long it takes for my body to adjust?
  • s_who
    s_who Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Keep with it. You don't ever want to quit smoking again. Up the water and exercise and you will get off the plateau!
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    I gained weight after I quit, but in a few months gained greater stamina and cardiovascular health as the gunk got out of my system, and my weight loss was fantastic and I felt better than ever. Give it time, don't give up!
  • russeljames
    russeljames Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    3 weeks isnt really a long time in the scheme of things. Obviusly your body is adjusting, hang in there and keep logging...
  • lolo406
    lolo406 Posts: 71
    Options
    When I quit about a year ago I remember reading that smoking a pack of cigarettes was equivalent to burning 100 cals or 2 pack= 200 cals etc. I dont know what your current calorie goals are but you may want to exercise just a little more or eat just a little less to help offset the difference for a short time. Either way, your body is healing for now and it should't be much longer before it can start moving forward again. Don't start smoking again or you'll be back at square one and the last 3 weeks down the drain. You can do it!
  • MindyG150
    MindyG150 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options

My dad died from smoking...it ain't pretty! Just keepin' it real!

The 10 pounds are far prettier than an oxygen tank :)
  • half_moon
    Options
    It would make sense. Nicotine is a stimulant, even more so than caffeine. So it could definitely have an effect on your metabolism.

But giving it up is so worthwhile for your overall health. And it's good for your budget too. :happy:

Haha I quit to be able to pay for my gym membership. ;D (among other things)