The Dreads of Alcohol...Need Support!

Options
13»

Replies

• tanyakins2001
    Options
    I recently went 4 weeks without drinking (which sucked because it was over 4th of July), it was a challenge as I have a stressful job and drinking is my outlet. Limit drinking but when you do use a calorie free mixer such as diet tonic water, sugar free red bull, diet coke, etc. Wine is okay too I think, plus good for your heart - at least the reds are.

Try incorporating it into your daily calories allowance - this really helps keep you accountable to yourself and your goals. If you go out drinking keep track of how many drinks you have and make sure you put in extra time at the gym the next day.

I recently found out that with alcohol it's not just the calories but the liver can only do one job at a time so it processes the alcohol and your body stores fat because the liver is too busy to deal with it as it was meant to. Maybe if you set a goal for yourself and parameters for how much you will drink per week or month you can get it under control.

Good luck to you!
  • Ilbrantdai
    Ilbrantdai Posts: 58
    Options
    That sounds like a good challenge, to be alcohol free for the month of August. I think it may be harder for me than I'd like to admit. I know I don't meet my goals either if I've been drinking. Please add me as a friend and we can try and support each other.

It's going to be VERY hard. My boyfriend is in a band, which makes drinking almost mandatory when attending his shows. I just need some friends on MFP who are real and honest, so I can be, too! :)
  • danabrash
    danabrash Posts: 67
    Options
    Step One
    "We admitted we were powerless over alcohol - that our lives had become unmanageable"

Been working for people since the mid-1930's.

You can find a local meeting here:
    http://www.aa.org/lang/en/central_offices.cfm?origpage=373

just sayin...
  • Ilbrantdai
    Options
    I haven't read everyone's replies yet so sorry if I am repeating what others have said (and I know I am repeating what I myself have said elsewhere on MFP, so apologies if you are being hit with this twice!).

I decided not to drink for 2012 (originally it was till my birthday in Oct, but then I changed my goal), for very much the same reasons as you (tried cutting down, as opposed to cutting out, numerous times - didn't work!) and today is Day 213 without booze! It was a big part of my life beforehand so giving up was not easy at all - plus the fact that I live with someone who drinks 2 bottles of wine a night doesn't help either! It's not easy BUT it's worth it if you are an all-or-nothing character like me who too easily lets one glass become one bottle become one day become one weekend become one week become one month etc.

I'm not sure how much you drink at present (again, haven't read the whole thread so sorry if you have mentioned this), but, if you were anything like me, my advice would be not to just stop dead. Seriously, don't do this UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES. I did this, and I suffered from the most horrendous depression for weeks and weeks afterwards - I'd even considered which methods of suicide would be the least likely to be interrupted and stopped! Even if it means you extend into September, I'd cut down gradually - if you are used to having, say, a bottle of wine a night, have half a bottle 3 times next week, then a large glass 3 times the week after, then extend your deadline of no booze whatsoever till mid-Sept. Yes, technically it means you are drinking "for longer" but it beats going through what I went through!

Good luck - if I can do it, then anyone can! xxx

Thanks for being so candid, it is appreciated. I think stopping cold turkey will be okay for me emotionally and physically, being that the weekends are my issue. During the week, I can go without one drop of alcohol. It's once my boyfriend breaks out the bottle on Friday evening that I find myself floundering.
  • FATBOYBGONE
    FATBOYBGONE Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I like to hang out on the weekends, BBQ, party what have you and I feel you. It's hard to not join in with your family or friends and not knock back a few. Beer was or is a temptation for me at these gatherings or at the local watering hole. I LIKE beer. Especially the more exotic offerings. MEGACALORIES.

So, to be able to join in the festivities I went to simple. Vodka and soda. Vodka and diet 7up. Bourbon and diet coke, you get the picture. The added benefit, if you want to call it that, it is a lot more difficult to drink that way in terms of convenience. Easier to grab a 12 pack of beer and ice it down than to bring your alcohol, ice, mixer, and a glass to drink it.

Put your drinks in your MFP. This in itself will slow you down and make you think about whether or not to have that next margarita.
  • Ilbrantdai
    Options
    Something I do is log my drinks at the beginning of the day.
    Example: If I am going to a cook out on a Saturday, and I plan on having some drinks (4 beers), I log them in the morning. That way I know when to stop. As I eat throughout the day, and log calories I see my calories dwindle faster than they would on a non drinking day. As the day goes on it becomes a choice, do I have all 4 beers or eat a little more?

I am sure it is very unhealthy to drink calories and not eat them, but it helps keep MY weight off.

This is a good idea. I have started doing this in the morning with food, so why not include alcohol as well (if I plan on drinking that is). Thanks! :D
  • Mattdemon
    Mattdemon Posts: 79
    Options
    I love drinking, it's awesome. I can handle it well and it makes me feel good. However, I too wanted to cut my drinking down. Not that it wasn't good for me but because I was trying to lose weight.

Alcohol isn't the worst thing in the world. I'm not sure how much you drink but I wouldn't say it's as bad as people throwing their day off with a trip to McDonalds.

You don't wanna quit. I didn't either. I said, "Ok, only on the weekends", and I would count Sunday as well even when I had work the next day at 8:00 AM. Let me hit you with the first shocker, I drink a 12 pack everytime, each different night of drinking.

The second? I still lost 15-20 pounds in 3-4 weeks. How? I ate very good and never cheated with bad foods. I also worked out everyday for an hour at least.

Earn your weekends. You can cut some of the nights out like I was with the weekdays. Keep full with water and proteins. Add exercise to help the calorie deficit and the chance to feel too tired to drink.

Or hang out with a buddy who promised you he won't let you drink.
  • Ilbrantdai
    Options
    I recently went 4 weeks without drinking (which sucked because it was over 4th of July), it was a challenge as I have a stressful job and drinking is my outlet. Limit drinking but when you do use a calorie free mixer such as diet tonic water, sugar free red bull, diet coke, etc. Wine is okay too I think, plus good for your heart - at least the reds are.

Try incorporating it into your daily calories allowance - this really helps keep you accountable to yourself and your goals. If you go out drinking keep track of how many drinks you have and make sure you put in extra time at the gym the next day.

I recently found out that with alcohol it's not just the calories but the liver can only do one job at a time so it processes the alcohol and your body stores fat because the liver is too busy to deal with it as it was meant to. Maybe if you set a goal for yourself and parameters for how much you will drink per week or month you can get it under control.

Good luck to you!

Wow, the liver thing is quite eye-opening. Thank you!
  • Ilbrantdai
    Options
    I love drinking, it's awesome. I can handle it well and it makes me feel good. However, I too wanted to cut my drinking down. Not that it wasn't good for me but because I was trying to lose weight.

Alcohol isn't the worst thing in the world. I'm not sure how much you drink but I wouldn't say it's as bad as people throwing their day off with a trip to McDonalds.

You don't wanna quit. I didn't either. I said, "Ok, only on the weekends", and I would count Sunday as well even when I had work the next day at 8:00 AM. Let me hit you with the first shocker, I drink a 12 pack everytime, each different night of drinking.

The second? I still lost 15-20 pounds in 3-4 weeks. How? I ate very good and never cheated with bad foods. I also worked out everyday for an hour at least.

Earn your weekends. You can cut some of the nights out like I was with the weekdays. Keep full with water and proteins. Add exercise to help the calorie deficit and the chance to feel too tired to drink.

Thanks, this is a much different post than I expected. I do work out 5-6 days a week, but I suppose my body just processes alcohol differently thank yours.
  • Mattdemon
    Mattdemon Posts: 79
    Options
    Haha yeah I understand. I figured you could use one voice that didn't harp you on drinking. There are other ways around things.
  • Anna800
    Anna800 Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    First off - volunteer to DD! When you know the group, or anyone, is depending on you to get home safe, it's a lot easier to keep your intake down.

Second - when you do drink, go for a vodka soda (or my new summer fav: coconut rum with club soda, topped with a tiny splash of pineapple juice: a 70calorie pina coloda!)

Third - keep in mind that alcohol is terrible for women especially. It's a huge contributor to breast cancer, stroke, diabetes, etc... and yes, binge drinking "once in a while" on the weekend when you're young IS contributing to all that! See these articles for motivation:
    http://alcoholism.about.com/cs/cancer/a/aa000921a.htm
    http://alcoholism.about.com/cs/women/a/aa010219a.htm

and Fourth - picture every drink you have as a candy bar. would you ever eat 6 candy bars in a night? of course not! but it's the same calories!! :sad:

I like this, thanks!
  • wells0707
    wells0707 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Try being the designated driver. That way you can't drink and your friends wont try and make you. (if they are good friends that is) Good luck!
  • socalblondie
    socalblondie Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    OMG.. I could not relate more with you. I have the SAME problem. I love my booze and plus its summer time. I love beer (probably the worst thing). I recently have decided to not drink for at least 30days (gonna be rough) but I want to detox myself of all bad stuff and start fresh. I know I am never going to give up alcohol completely but I am struggling to cut back. My problem is finding other things to do instead of drink, for instance, My roommates are having people over to go in the spa or pool and everyone is drinking... this is going to make me want to drink as well. What am I supposed to do, lock myself in my room??
  • Anna800
    Anna800 Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    Something I do is log my drinks at the beginning of the day.
    Example: If I am going to a cook out on a Saturday, and I plan on having some drinks (4 beers), I log them in the morning. That way I know when to stop. As I eat throughout the day, and log calories I see my calories dwindle faster than they would on a non drinking day. As the day goes on it becomes a choice, do I have all 4 beers or eat a little more?

I am sure it is very unhealthy to drink calories and not eat them, but it helps keep MY weight off.

I do this as well too. I don't know if I can give up alcohol completely?
  • vacherin
    vacherin Posts: 192
    Options

My husband does what you do and manages to drink and not get fat, i.e. earns it by exercise. I wish I could do this; not everyone can, unfortunately. Even one glass messes with my sleep so badly that exercise the next day is out of the question ... and that's assuming I have the willpower to stick to one glass! Usually I don't. Hats off to you for finding a way of managing it. Wish I hadn't had to resort to abstention (like you, I LIKE drinking!).
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,565 Member
    Options
    So do you need to learn how alcohol works in the body or how not to drink?

To be honest, both would be helpful!

When drinking, alcohol is metabolized first.
    That means that most other calories consumed that arent a part of the actual alcohol get "pushed to the side".
    So lets say you get a fruity drink.
    That drink is 450cals with a carb count of about 60g due to sugar.
    The body metabolizes that alcohol first while the rest gets saved for storage.