Need friends on Atkins or Low Carb Diet

Options
Hi,
I am new to this website but have been on FatSecret since 6/2011 when I started my new lifestyle (not diet). I am looking for friends who are also living a low carb or Atkins lifestyle.

Replies

• sonshinelady
    sonshinelady Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hi... my name is Lynn. I have been on a modified Atkins diet since first of February. I've lost 36 pounds since last spring...but really buckled back down in February of this year. By modified, I mean...not as low as Atkins recommends for fast lost. I can't eat that low in carbs or I get nathargic. But a higher in protien weight loss plan and lower in carb has worked well for me thus far becuase I have such an addiction to sugar. The low carb way of eating totally takes my cravings for sugar away. Another reason this diet agrees with me. I am however plateau-ing quite badly this summer. I've only lost 2.4 pounds since first of June. With such a small loss, it's been discouraging and harder to stay focused the past few weeks. I'm trying not to get discouraged and feel the difference in my clothes instead of the numbers on the scale.

I would love to talk to you too and share recipes, tips and ideas. Everyone else I know that is dieting can't tolerate the Atkins lifestyle like I can. Keep in touch, please.
  • sonshinelady
    sonshinelady Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Tell me about FATSECRET! Never heard of it!:smile:
  • CatMarlett
    CatMarlett Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I would love to join as well. I started my new lifestyle this past Friday. I already feel better; I am in a better mood, etc. I am doing high fat, high protien, low carb (less than 25 g a day). It would be best to talk to a group of folks in a low carb diet as not many people understand what its all about... so many haters out there! LOL
  • johnsnana
    Options
    FatSecret is like this website but they automatically calculate the net carbs for you which is so much easier than here. This site needs to "clean up" all the food entries. It becomes a real problem when just anyone can edit other members foods & they don't understand how to calculate net carbs. I eat alot of the same things daily so I just pull my foods from my recent list, that way I know I am using the correct nutritional info. Anway, fatsecret is very similar, just like any site though, you have to take a bit to figure it out. I would suggest trying it, its free & alittle easier if you log net carbs. I had myfitnesspal on my iphone so when I travel it is a backup to the fatsecret app but last week I just decided to use the web version & try it out & have been logging in here to see if I like it better. Not sure which one I will use. Fatsecret has recipes, logs exercise as well and has a large community where you can pick groups that pertain to the diet you are on. Let me know what you think about it. I am still on the fence about which one to make my permanent home. :o)
  • jeanie1991
    jeanie1991 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have just started on here today and I try to eat similar to Atkins in that I try not to eat any grains and high carb goods but I love my fruit so I eat plenty of that, so it's not totally strick like Atkins but if you eliminate the high carb foods plus potatoes then you have to lose weight surely!
  • cfloresmt
    cfloresmt Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Been doing it for 2months now, doing IF fasting to go down below 10% BF with a bit of a calorie deficit. Feel free to add. Diet just consists of lots of meat and fats tho. Its a keto diet, no strictly atkins, but it worked wonders for me.
  • johnsnana
    Options
    For me, I don't lose weight if I am on a low carb (40-60 net carbs) plan & I eat more than 1 fruit a day. Some people just can't handle the carbs no matter what form they come in whether it's whole grains or fruit. I usally pick my fruits from the lowest carbs like strawberries, blueberries or peaches. I love bananas apples, cantaloupes, & watermelon but they are just too high in carbs & they trigger cravings for more than I should eat.
  • johnsnana
    Options
    I would just suggest having your bloodwork done so you can see what you cholesterol levels are & what they are again after 6 months or so on a high fat (meat) diet to make sure you are not increasing your bad cholesterol like I did. I was on Atkins & bad c. went up so I "modified" Atkins & now I still get 50-70% or around 90-100 grams of fat per day but I make sure it comes from the "good fats" like walnuts, olive oil & flax oil which has raised my good cholesterol but has lowered my bad which is what you want.
  • johnsnana
    Options
    I guess I should mention that you could in theory still lose weight if you are eating fruits but that all depends on how much you have to lose. My husband is on weight watchers & eats more than 5 servings of fruit a day & is still losing weight, however he is NOT on atkins & NOT eating a high amount of fat.
    The thing that gets people confused is you CANNOT mix eating alot of carbs (of any kind INCLUDING fruit) with a high fat diet such as Atkins or the Keto diet because the whole point of eating low carb high fat is ......If your body doenst have stored carbs then the fat won't be absorbed into your body (therefore you can eat high fat & lose weight) however, if you eat fruits or other high carb foods & try to ALSO eat high fat, the fat will digest & turn to calories & you WILL gain weight.
    Some diets cannot be mixed with others & these are perfect examples because of how they affect your body.
  • mack3212
    Options
    Hello,
    My son told me about MyFitnessPal and I've been using it for a while and also following the Atkins diet. I just searched the Message Boards for Atkins and this thread popped up. I am going to stay on low carb and could use some support.

1. Since 1 June 12, I've lost 32 lbs
    2. Have about 60 more to go
    3. Trying to do low carb diet because of type 2 diabetes and other health issues. Plus I just feel so much better.
    4. Wanting friends on here for support
    5. Am going to succeed and maintain
    6. If anyone wants to be friends and have support, I'm game

Cheers to all,
    Mack
  • juliefisch1
    juliefisch1 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    So I am on my third round of induction. Have been doing Atkins since Jan of this year and have lost almost 50 lbs. For some reason every time I do induction, the 9th or 10th day is the hardest craving wise and also emotionally. I feel like I want 8 loaves of bread and a good cry..lol. Does anyone else have a similar reaction after a week or so into it. I mean it generally only lasts for a day and then I'm fine afterwards.
  • NicB71
    NicB71 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm doing bodytrim same sort of thing low in carbs high in protein. Id also love to join in with new friends.

I have lost 28 pounds / 13 kilos it works so well in dropping weight....only if I could just stick to it! grrrr maybe new friend is just what I need.
  • onalark
    onalark Posts: 2
    Options
    Hello to All~ I just found out about this site and hope the food tracking helps me figure out why my weight loss has stalled for the past couple of months. I did Atkins 10 years ago and lost 25 lbs easily, this time around I lost 20 pretty fast, and have been stuck on the same number despite renewing my resolve and being very true to the diet. I have been adding exercise in the past month. I have been having cravings for wild rice (my husband laughs and says "not wine and chocolate?") so today I broke down and bought some. I have been very tired for the past few days, and feel like I should listen to my body. I also had a couple of strawberries and blueberries, tasted like fine candy!

I also struggle with cravings when I have any sweets at all, so this is kind of like a test for me. I also read some info that led me to believe that I was not getting in enough calories, which could stall weight loss. Though I like the tally of calories, carbs, fats, and proteins on this site, they are not too Atkins friendly. I appreciate reading all your comments!
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    hey! i do low carb. feel free to add me.
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    Though I like the tally of calories, carbs, fats, and proteins on this site, they are not too Atkins friendly. I appreciate reading all your comments!

you can change your macros to suit your needs. 60/35/5 or whatever.
  • quill16
    quill16 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I have recently reached my goal wt and am slightly increasing things right now, but to lose the weight I ate 100grams of protein, 100grams of carbs and 50 grams of fat each day(1200 cal diet) along with exercise. I roughly lost 10 lbs a month
  • k011185
    k011185 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    As of yesterday I am trying low carb, (evil dr, lol).
    I have lost over 20 lbs eating at the preset macros, interested to see if the new amounts make much difference.
  • onalark
    onalark Posts: 2
    Options
    good to know, thanks
  • Karishma1996
    Options
    woah! you have a hot rocking body
  • LyssaKoukla
    Options
    My husband and I are both doing Atkins -- or a modified version. I have lost 30 lbs on Atkins and kept it off (my dh has lost 50). I am on a new goal to get another 35 down. Feel free to add me!