Gaining weight during "that time of the month"

Options
lwagnitz
lwagnitz Posts: 1,321 Member
Is this common? If so, how much do you usually gain?
I'm assuming it's probably normal since you retain water... however I gained FIVE pounds. Normal, or am I just getting fatter... lol

Replies

• ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Five pounds is not unusual at all.
  • MurphysLawTD
    MurphysLawTD Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Totally normal. I usually put on 3-5lbs of water weight during that week. Drink a lot of water especially during that time so your body doesn't feel the need to hold onto it. Otherwise, just don't weigh yourself that week! :tongue: I don't!!
  • cnicholexxo
    Options
    My weight goes up about 5pounds and its the toughest time to stick to healthier foods. Push through and the weight falls off like it was never even there.
  • josiereside
    josiereside Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    3-5 for sure for me!
  • SparkleHorse224
    SparkleHorse224 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Yup 3-5 lbs for me too. I sometimes take the multi-symptom pamprin and that helps.
  • MrDude_1
    MrDude_1 Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options
    it goes up for me too.. but thats only because I run away and go out drinking.

j/k
  • Fitmom2b2012
    Options
    I usually gain 5 to 7 pounds. Depending on if my chocolate and salt intake is high during that time. With MFP this month I have been trying to cut out those extra calories but have still seen a 3 pound gain. So I would say that 5lbs is normal. Hormones can make your body extremely sensitive to sodium which makes you retain water.

I wouldn't freak out too much, just keep track of your sodium and calorie intake. Things should level back out.

Good luck!
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    Yes it's quite normal. However during my recent experiment, I find out if you try to eat as clean as possible and follow the calorie guideline, this water retention could be managed and the increase could be less significant. :) I only "gained" 1 pound vs. 3 used to be.
  • issystclaire
    issystclaire Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Hmmm, I have never actually noticed this, but I am about to start this week (probably tomorrow or next day) and my weigh day is tomorrow, so I will keep an eye and see if I do at all!
  • jbootman
    jbootman Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I am old, past cycling, but have recently started weighing myself several times a day on a digital scale that even gives tenths of pounds,

my weight can fluctuate 5 pounds in the course of a day,

my hormones are more stable than you little girls,

you have my sympathy, it is bad enough that your tissue retains water, but your chemistry affects your brain, your mood,

please be careful, scale loss could just be dehydration, weight gain could be hormonal,

if I were younger and serious, I would weigh myself like 10 days after the start of each cycle, in the same clothes etc,

in between make friends with a clean diet and some exercise,

you all know it is the chips not the carrots, pack your kitchen with healthy foods, give away or trash the unhealthy things and vow to change your lifestyle forever,
  • SafioraLinnea
    SafioraLinnea Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    Many women have weight fluctuations based around their cycles. I personally gain 3-6 pounds in bloating every time, but it truly is water weight and I lose it again within 3-4 days.
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    I also noticed that my weight almost always hits the lowest right before TOM starts. Why is this? could it be the body temperature increase? I am honestly curious.
  • rose313
    rose313 Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    I gain about 2 pounds during TOM, and I lose that 2 but no more.
  • lwagnitz
    lwagnitz Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    I weighed myself the day before I got it, and that is when I had the 5lb gain, and I didn't have any big changes in my diet. However, I did just fly that following day, could've been the change in altitutde? I don't know, but I do agree that the craving suck. But I seem to get this weigh gain just before. I don't know during (haven't weighed myself during) and after I feel super skinny for some reason.. I assume because I was so bloated before :P