South Beach????

Options
I have a friend (who is sort of one of my motivators) who is on the South Beach Diet. She strongly recommends it. I'm thinking that I'm through with any particular "diet" and just wanting to change my lifestyle through better nutrition, more quality foods, and increased exercise. Anyone got any insights into South Beach. Am I on track, or am I missing the boat here?

Replies

• justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    I have a friend (who is sort of one of my motivators) who is on the South Beach Diet. She strongly recommends it. I'm thinking that I'm through with any particular "diet" and just wanting to change my lifestyle through better nutrition, more quality foods, and increased exercise. Anyone got any insights into South Beach. Am I on track, or am I missing the boat here?

South Beach espouses Lean cuts of meat, Whole Grains, food with a Low Glycemic Index (less likely to spike your blood sugar), high fiber and the like. As they want you to avoid "processed" foods as much as you can, it's a fairly healthy way to eat for the rest of your life. I had lost 75-80 on Southbeach and then my life kinda fell apart and my nutrition and fitness went out the window.

I am not on the SouthBeach diet now, however, in my attempts to eat healthier I am almost on it by default.

South Beach doesn't restrict your carbs, you just need to get them from better foods. South Beach doesn't restrict your fats just certain types of fat. South Beach wants you to eat higher protein and higher fiber.

My problem with South Beach is the partnership with Kraft. Suddenly many of the "rules" got relaxed and it was clearly to have them fit in with saleable food. It got so bad that there's a new book out called the Super Charged southbeach diet or something like that and it pretty well reads like the ORIGINAL guidelines.

I still cook from the cookbooks. I follow most of the original guidelines as that's just good sense eating but Dr Aguston has clearly sold out.

You could do worse than following the original book. Much worse.
  • staceybrewer
    staceybrewer Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I have heard from some of my workout buddies that it is the quickest way to lose weight. Converting from the program back to a normal diet is tricky, though.

Changing habits long-term is important with any plan.