Paxil and Weight Gain

Hello,
I was recently given a prescription for Paxil and am nervous to take it. Among the long list of side effects (nausea, insomnia, intestinal issues, and scary withdrawal issues to name of few) is weight gain. Anyone taking paxil and noticed this? I found a forum online and the majority of people said that they gained a lot of weight and couldn't lose it until they were off of the prescription. How is this possible? I would think it would just be a matter of calories in vs. calories out. Thanks for your help.

Replies

• itsuki
    itsuki Posts: 520 Member
    Calories in vs calories out gets tricky when you’re dealing with medications that alter your hormones, chemicals in your brain, etc. I believe Paxil has an impact on your metabolism, for example.

On top of this, if you, there are other things that could make you gain weight:
    - Overeating as a result of depression can cause weight gain.
    - Some people lose weight as part of their depression. In turn, an improved appetite associated with improved mood may result in increased weight.

Different medications effect people in different ways. If you do gain weight on this medication, you can talk to your doctor about hit. He/she may be able to help.

Finally, I am not a doctor, but please, PLEASE remember that you should NEVER stop taking an anti-depressant unless instructed to do so by your doctor. Stopping this type of medication can be dangerous. Even if you do gain weight and you don’t like this side effect, don’t just stop taking the pills. Talk to your doctor.
  • Thanks for the info. I haven't started taking it yet. One of the things that is making me hesitant are the things that can happen once I decide to stop taking it. So, I question if it is worth it to start.
  • eflint
    eflint Posts: 4
    Generally when you are prescribed a new anti-depressant, the doctor asks you to come back and report any side effects you have. People usually go through several meds until they find the right one for them. I am currently on Lexapro which has caused massive weight gain. However, I used to be on Celexa and never noticed it. I don't want to be off meds completely but I will be changing them until I get one with the least side effects possible. Try it out and if you notice a difference, talk to your doctor about trying something else. For me, the benefits of antidepressants are too important to just be without anything.
  • I starting using a ssdi about 5 years ago and I ballooned 30 lbs in 2 months then went on paxil and never lost the weight I was also drinking almost every day. for 5 months recently I was on nothing no pills no alcohol and lost50 lbs plus I started juicing . well a month ago I thought I was going to lose my **** so I went back on paxil. I now weigh 180 I have gained 15 lbs in a week. so no more paxil or trazadone nothing. I have already lost 5 lbs in 2 days. idk what to think but is skinny better than crazy?