CALORIES VS CARBS/PROTEINS/FATS ETC.....CONFUSED HELP?

Options
MY FRIEND AND I HAVE BEEN WORRYING AND WONDERING IF THE CALORIES THAT WE INTAKE ON A DAILY BASIS MATTER MORE THAN WATCHING EVERYTHING......MEANING DO WE NEED TO WATCH CARBS/PROTEIN/FATS..ETC......? IT'S KINDA HARD TO KEEP TRACK OF EVERYTHING, ESPECIALLY WHEN YOUR PUTTING SOMETHING IN YOUR MOUTH. IS THE CALORIE CONTENT REALLY THE ONLY THING THAT MATTERS OR SHOULD WE WATCH EVERYTHING?

Replies

• GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    depends on your goals.

However, from a weightloss only standpoint, calories are the only thing that matters. In vs out. Google the twinkie diet and you will understand what I mean.
  • Knowah1
    Knowah1 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    For weight loss you want to either count calories or carbs. Usually low in one is high in the other. Calorie counting is generally more dependent on exercise, but both benefit from it.

If you are diabetic or borderline, it is the most beneficial to count carbs specifically. I wish this app/system allowed you to ignore calories and count just carbs, but I am going to adjust the calorie goal until my carb goal is represented. If that doesn't workout I'll go back to a spreadsheet.

The best thing to remember with either is that it is a lifetime commitment.
  • rose313
    rose313 Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    I personally do not lose weight unless I watch everything. I have eaten every amount of calories there is (1500, 1600, 1700, 1400, 1300, 1200, 1000) for at least 3 weeks to see what effect it had on my body and only when I eat healthy do I lose any weight.
  • GauchoMark
    Options
    For weight loss you want to either count calories or carbs. Usually low in one is high in the other. Calorie counting is generally more dependent on exercise, but both benefit from it.

If you are diabetic or borderline, it is the most beneficial to count carbs specifically. I wish this app/system allowed you to ignore calories and count just carbs, but I am going to adjust the calorie goal until my carb goal is represented. If that doesn't workout I'll go back to a spreadsheet.

The best thing to remember with either is that it is a lifetime commitment.

are you aware that you can set custom goals for your carbs/protein/fat in the advanced goals settings? That way your carbs and calories would match.
  • half_moon
    half_moon Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    I CAN'T HEAR YOU, WHAT DID YOU SAY
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    MY FRIEND AND I HAVE BEEN WORRYING AND WONDERING IF THE CALORIES THAT WE INTAKE ON A DAILY BASIS MATTER MORE THAN WATCHING EVERYTHING......MEANING DO WE NEED TO WATCH CARBS/PROTEIN/FATS..ETC......? IT'S KINDA HARD TO KEEP TRACK OF EVERYTHING, ESPECIALLY WHEN YOUR PUTTING SOMETHING IN YOUR MOUTH. IS THE CALORIE CONTENT REALLY THE ONLY THING THAT MATTERS OR SHOULD WE WATCH EVERYTHING?

for me personally, I have to watch carbs and calories. I watched calories for 3 months, and only lost 7 pounds despite working out for 90 minutes 3-4 times a week ( a few times I even did 5 days a week).

then I cut carbs to under 100g net per day ( my average allowance previously was 200-250g daily), and the weight began to melt off--8lbs the first month, 6lbs the second month and 4lbs the 3rd month. That is almost 3 TIMES as much weight lost, even though I cut my cardio by 50%, and am sometimes eating up to 2x as much.
  • Knowah1
    Options
    I see the 'customize goals' but everything is based on a percentage of calories.

I would prefer to put in a # for goal/limit in carbs and be done with it. I know other apps allow this, but I followed my gf to this one.

If there's a way to do that, I'm definitely missing it.
  • taiyola
    taiyola Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I CAN'T HEAR YOU, WHAT DID YOU SAY

:laugh:
  • taiyola
    taiyola Posts: 964 Member
    Options

for me personally, I have to watch carbs and calories. I watched calories for 3 months, and only lost 7 pounds despite working out for 90 minutes 3-4 times a week ( a few times I even did 5 days a week).

then I cut carbs to under 100g net per day ( my average allowance previously was 200-250g daily), and the weight began to melt off--8lbs the first month, 6lbs the second month and 4lbs the 3rd month. That is almost 3 TIMES as much weight lost, even though I cut my cardio by 50%, and am sometimes eating up to 2x as much.

Very interesting! I've just reduced mine :)
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    For weight loss pay most attention to calories. But you'll likely find weight loss easier if you keep your sugar and sodium in check and you make as many of your carbs "good carbs" (carbs that also contain protein and/or fiber) as possible.

But there are many styles of dieting (low fat, low carb, high protein, etc.). They all work is done correctly. Find a plan that isn't unhealthy but is enjoyable enough that you'll stick with it.
  • JosieV1973
    JosieV1973 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    THANK YOU ALL FOR THE FEEDBACK......MUCH APPRECIATED! ALTHOUGH I WAS ON SOMEWHAT OF THE RIGHT TRACK, IT'S ALWAYS MORE BENEFICIAL TO GET ADVICE AND SUGGESTIONS FROM OTHER PEOPLE.........I NEED TO MAKE BETTER CHOICES IN MY FOODS AND EATING GOOD CARBS VS BAD ONES........

THANK YOU ALL!
  • GauchoMark
    Options
    I see the 'customize goals' but everything is based on a percentage of calories.

I would prefer to put in a # for goal/limit in carbs and be done with it. I know other apps allow this, but I followed my gf to this one.

the percentage will get converted to a limit once you put it in. So, if you want to target 130 g protein and you are eating 1500 calories per day, you can either play with the percentages until you get the number you want, or use 4 cal/g protein and this formula: 130*4/1500 = 0.3467 (34.67%).

Carbs and protein are 4 cal/g and fat is 9 cal/g
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Calories are obviously critical (as is activity level).

However, if my carbs are too high (more than 50% of calories - actually 40% is better according to the Harvard Health Study and others) or if they come in too easy to digest form (sugar, highly processed flour or rice) I get a lot HUNGRIER. Protein tends to make me fell full.

Too many carbs - especially added sugar and over-processed carbs - can also lead to insulin resistance if you're prone to that. There is good evidence to suggest that it also changes your fat deposition because insulin regulates blood sugar and when glucose is turned into fat and when fat is metabolized.
  • 6spdeg
    6spdeg Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    also depends on your body type most ppl dont pay attention to that fact.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sxgC_wDNfI&feature=related

will explain all you need to know.
  • Knowah1
    Options

the percentage will get converted to a limit once you put it in. So, if you want to target 130 g protein and you are eating 1500 calories per day, you can either play with the percentages until you get the number you want, or use 4 cal/g protein and this formula: 130*4/1500 = 0.3467 (34.67%).

Carbs and protein are 4 cal/g and fat is 9 cal/g

Thanks for that. I'm going to toy around with everything and get it to the point of use so I can decide if it's the app for me.