Breastfeeding

Options
A friend of mine is wanting to join MFP and she is breastfeeding...is their an option to put that in so that she still gets enough extra calories for that??? Thanks!

Replies

• bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I believe she would enter as normal and then log breastfeeding as 400 calories of exercise.
  • whitneybooker0515
    Options
    No, I mean to add it into her daily calorie allowance. She will need more than what a person that doesnt breastfeed would need :/
  • vtsantiago
    vtsantiago Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of different ways to input it. I put breastfeeding in as cardio that burns 400 calories a day. I EBF my 2 month old.

Others manually change their calorie goal and add 400-500 onto that. I have also seen some mom's put nursing in the food diary as -calories. The Breastfeeding group has lots of info.
  • ellie319
    ellie319 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I breastfeed and i just add it into my food diary
  • MallyPie
    MallyPie Posts: 81
    Options
    I breastfeed and I just bumped my caloric intake up to 1800. She needs the extra cals or it could affect production.
  • jubeemine
    jubeemine Posts: 13
    Options
    I breastfeed but never add it. I've never had an issue with supply..and we still nurse 8-10 times a day.
  • ChrisRS87
    ChrisRS87 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    I'd be alright with breastfeeding as long as it was a good source of protein and kept my macros in line.
  • wabecca
    wabecca Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I just add "breastfeeding" into my food log every day and it gives me -500 calories (so it takes me from 1300 calories available to 1800 available :))
  • mommyRN0811
    mommyRN0811 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    you can adjust your settings to what you want rather than using custom settings.
  • Leigh_b
    Leigh_b Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    you can search breastfeeding on the food diary and add it that way - it add calories instead of taking them away
  • PayneAS
    PayneAS Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I believe she would enter as normal and then log breastfeeding as 400 calories of exercise.

Is exactly what you do (Although I thought it was 500 not 400), that way it gets added to your calories that you need to eat.
  • sds76
    sds76 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I've seen it added as calories burned and as negative calories consumed. So you could do either. I nurse as well but never count it, my supply is doing just fine and my daughter is still nursing 6-10 times a day.
  • molly_grue
    molly_grue Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    you can search breastfeeding on the food diary and add it that way - it add calories instead of taking them away

I do it this way. It takes away 500 from my daily total so I end up eating 1800-1900