Post Stomach Flu Food Help!

Options
Dear all,
I need help! I came down with the stomach flu on Sunday night and not to get graphic, but let's just say I don't have to worry about losing my holiday weight.

I've been in recovery for two days now and my stomach still isn't right. :( In order to speed up this recovery, I think I need to eat the right foods.

Any suggestions for foods I can eat that will help soothe my stomach, but also not bind me up?

Sorry if this is too much for some.

Replies

• HonestOmnivore
    HonestOmnivore Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    First (and I know this sounds cruel) a bit of a fast can rest your system, sip clear liquids and give your self at least 8 hours from the last time you had food and were sick.

Then try (depending on how you normally digest these things) Yogurt (less than 1/2 cup), Banana (half), or a little plain rice. If it stays down, take another small portion in 4 to 6 hours...

Drink clear liquids but don't take in too much - a boat load of anything on your gut system will over load it!
  • rmccully
    rmccully Posts: 319
    Options
    chicken broth and apple sauce? that is always what my mom gave us. hope you get feeling better soon. my son woke up at 2:30am christmas morning with that same problem. he was so bad that he didn't even open up his presents.
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,740 Member
    Options
    BRAT diet (Bananas, Rice, Applesauce, Toast). This is a time where you want to eat white rice and toast rather than brown. It's easier to digest, which is what you need till your tummy gets back to normal. Hope you feel better soon!
  • Hopey1994
    Options
    i was also going to suggest the BRAT diet. And plenty of water! I'm sorry you've been so sick, but glad to hear that you're on the mend. :flowerforyou:
  • PureAndHealthy
    Options
    Try some tummy tea with things like peppermint and ginger that are known to soothe upset tummies! :flowerforyou:
  • scottekohl
    Options
    Try taking activated charcoal. You can get this at your local pharmacy. Also a non-dairy probiotic supplement like Florajen3. It has acidopphilus, Bifidum & Longum. `5 billion live cultures per capsule. The best probiotic should be kept in a refrigerator and when you buy them they will be in a refrigerator at the pharmacy counter or health food store.
  • Jenalynn301
    Jenalynn301 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    i had the same thing over christmas! campbell's chicken noodle soup or chicken and rice really soothed my stomach. just go easy - i found i couldn't eat much without feeling queasy for about 2 or 3 additional days AFTER my major symptoms died down. get well soon!
  • leavinglasvegas
    Options
    I'm going to third the BRAT diet. And sip on veggie or chicken broth.