Really dude? Do your own leg work...

Options

Replies

• Fatal1ty2k5
    Fatal1ty2k5 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Lol thats how I got my first gf. think I was 14.
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    How many of you have that friend out there that's too shy to talk to someone they may have the hots for? The gym I go to theres a gal that works there that I know my buddy would just go nuts for. I tell him "Hey man hit the gym with me talk to this gal." (Ok paraphrasing) and instead I get. "Can't you just get her name and number for me?" WHAT?!?! Are you serious?!

Me, "Yeah hey this is crazy... we BS at the gym here and there, but like my buddy wants your name and number... no you've never seen him. Yeah hes too shy to show his face. So whats the digits?" O_o

I mean would I be wrong to neck punch this guy? Yes drastic but still come on! We go to the bars. Him, "Hey go talk to that chick for me and get her to come over her." WTF dude?!

Maybe in future just don't tell him it's a set up. Just get him to come to the gym with you, then point her out to see what he thinks. THEN encourage him to talk to her. I know it's hard to understand when you're someone who's never had a serious problem with self confidence, but shyness/fear of rejection can be completely debilitating. It's not laziness, it's not immaturity, it's a form of social anxiety. If he's anything like me, he actually gets physically ill at the thought of being publicly humiliated in that way. It's very hard for me to even look a guy in the eye if I'm interested because I'm afraid he'll be able to tell and then he'll laugh in my face. I am working on it, and I've gotten better, but it's still a very difficult thing to live with and overcome. Try to have a little patience and understanding. I know you have your friend's best interests at heart, and you want him to be happy. However, pushing him to do something he's not ready to do, may cause more harm than good. Just my opinion, coming from personal experience.
  • Tony_Brewski
    Tony_Brewski Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    Hmmmm..... is it really your "friend" or are YOU just looking for confidence, support and encouragement to talk to this girl at the gym???

Opening line..... "dang gurl, was that 7mph on a 12% incline......." :love: LOL. :glasses:

LOL! Yes I am sure. I am going on my 12th year of being married. Happily most of the time I might add lol.

I've known this guy for years. He went through a nasty divorce about 3 years ago and since then he's NOT been the same confident dude I knew. I'm trying to get him to get on his horse again but it's like beating a dead dog. It's just not going anywhere.
  • jcstanton
    Options
    Hmmmm..... is it really your "friend" or are YOU just looking for confidence, support and encouragement to talk to this girl at the gym???

Opening line..... "dang gurl, was that 7mph on a 12% incline......." :love: LOL. :glasses:

LOL! Yes I am sure. I am going on my 12th year of being married. Happily most of the time I might add lol.

I've known this guy for years. He went through a nasty divorce about 3 years ago and since then he's NOT been the same confident dude I knew. I'm trying to get him to get on his horse again but it's like beating a dead dog. It's just not going anywhere.

Ahhhh, see now we're getting down to it. He went through a nasty divorce, probably not fully understanding what he "did wrong". Because he doesn't know, he's afraid of making the same error in ignorance. I know guys find it hard to talk about "feelings", but if you're really that close to him, you may be the best person to get him seriously talking about what's going on. The only way to "fix" the problem is to clearly identify it. Shyness is not the real problem, it is merely a symptom of the underlying problem.
  • Darkskinned88
    Darkskinned88 Posts: 1,177 Member
    Options
    I have no problem wingmanning sometimes but sometimes its completely unnecessary, like dude we're in our 20s just go talk to her
  • Tony_Brewski
    Options

Ahhhh, see now we're getting down to it. He went through a nasty divorce, probably not fully understanding what he "did wrong". Because he doesn't know, he's afraid of making the same error in ignorance. I know guys find it hard to talk about "feelings", but if you're really that close to him, you may be the best person to get him seriously talking about what's going on. The only way to "fix" the problem is to clearly identify it. Shyness is not the real problem, it is merely a symptom of the underlying problem.

Oh I know what his problem is. Total lack of confidence. Distaste of self image. However he wont put the beer down to pick up a dumbbell to save himself. So he sits stewing is his own waste so-to-speak. Going out with him after work to our favorite watering hole so I'm sure I'll hear more "Go get her number for me". I just want to punch him in the throat and hope the lack of ozygen makes something click before he blacks out. Extreme? Yes it is I wont lie. But damnit I've tried everything else.
  • Tony_Brewski
    Options
    I have no problem wingmanning sometimes but sometimes its completely unnecessary, like dude we're in our 20s just go talk to her

For us its "Dude we're in our 30's ... nut up or shut up!"
  • ukumari77
    ukumari77 Posts: 1
    Options
    too funny. I dont have any friends here and I am looking for good folks to keep me motivated .. your post cracked me up.... all I have to say: how old is this guy?
    I use to work with middle schoolers... and that just reminds me of them
  • InezRny
    InezRny Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I can understand he is feeling insecure about himself and afraid of messing up a chance, but he himself has to man up. MAN UP! lol
  • jcstanton
    Options

Oh I know what his problem is. Total lack of confidence. Distaste of self image. However he wont put the beer down to pick up a dumbbell to save himself. So he sits stewing is his own waste so-to-speak. Going out with him after work to our favorite watering hole so I'm sure I'll hear more "Go get her number for me". I just want to punch him in the throat and hope the lack of ozygen makes something click before he blacks out. Extreme? Yes it is I wont lie. But damnit I've tried everything else.

Yes, but what I mean is, WHERE is that lack of confidence coming from? You said yourself that he didn't used to be this way. It's more than just going through a divorce. Lots of people go through divorce and it doesn't completely destroy their confidence. There has to be something more going on mentally that he's not letting anybody else in. Like I said before, trying to force him to do something he's not really ready for can cause more harm than good. Just don't try to fix him up with anybody until he seems like it's something he genuinely wants. As far as having this problem when you go out, just tell him that, until he starts feeling ready to go and talk to women himself, don't ask for your help in that regard.
  • jad54
    jad54 Posts: 192
    Options

For us its "Dude we're in our 30's ... nut up or shut up!"

Tell him "hesitation leads to *kitten*." It's true.
  • TubbsMcGee
    TubbsMcGee Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    Someone's going to die alone if he doesn't grow a set.
  • ScottyNoHotty
    ScottyNoHotty Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    Wait a minute.....people really go to the gym to pick up women?? WTH am i doing wrong? what with the weight lifting and treadmill........
  • Il_DaniD_lI
    Il_DaniD_lI Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    My friend saw Marlon Mayans at the store and he got someone from his entourage to approach her to ask for her phone number.
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    He is abusing the wingman relationship. Wingman can't stay home, he has to be on the plane.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Need to talk to his Paediatrician and see if they have his balls dropping on record. If not, find a large spoon and help him look for his testicles.
  • soulynyc
    soulynyc Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    i find it refreshing .. shy is not all that bad.. she might appreciate that. :)
  • suzieqcookie
    suzieqcookie Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    i think i would have to neck punch a grown man who asked for my number to give to his friend! :laugh:
  • rcc1988
    rcc1988 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    He should definitely just talk to her himself. If he just is honest and tells her he's a bit shy, she might even be charmed by it!
  • Molly_Maguire
    Molly_Maguire Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    I can honestly say that as a girl, (if I were still single) your buddy's behavior would turn me off cold. If a guy isn't man enough to talk to me on his own, he's for SURE not man enough to date me. :) Tell your dude to grow some cojones and approach women on his own!

But having "game" turns most women off, too, just so he knows. Tell him no lines, no angle, no games. Start with a simple, but sincere compliment, ask her her name, then politely ask for her number. Even if a guy wasn't all that attractive to me and did that, I'd be 10x more likely to give him my number, than some idiot trying to be suave.

Tell him less swag, more sincerity.