Why am I not seeing any results?!

Options
124»

Replies

• msacurrie
    msacurrie Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    It's only been a week, don't sweat it :)
    Some weeks I lose 3 pounds, 2 pounds, 1 pound, no pounds, gain pounds! Then it all flexes back again and who knows what I'll lose next! Haha! Some weeks I try harder than others...but in about 3 1/2 months, I have lost 16 pounds, despite the ups and downs - it's working! Hang in there :D Feel free to add if you need encouragement <3
  • msacurrie
    msacurrie Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Wait... WHAT? Am I the only one who noticed OP said she's only been at this a week???

^^^^ THIS.

Be patient young grasshopper.

I know, i was like what the hell??? People talking about sodium, and food and all these irrelevant things. Does sodium make people fat? NO, Does not working out make people fat? No, Does eating junk food make people fat? No. What makes people fat? Eating over their calories.

Sodium can "mask" weight loss, but that's it. Why not recommend other methods of measurements besides the scale??? Scale is a more indicator of success.

Plus as someone said, the OP has only 6lbs to lose? That's not much, plus women usually lose slower than guys. As someone said, be patient, and don't worry about your weight so much. Wait a month, if you don't see signs of improvement, then post again.

Amen! :D
  • EnergyYesPlease
    Options
    Too much sodium will make you retain water (at least it does for me), drink lots of water 8+glasses a day, watch your sugar intake as well.
    What are you doing for a workout routine?
  • clobercow
    clobercow Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Why am I not loosing ANY weight?!

I meet my calorie goal every day and I am pretty conscious of what I am eating. Yet here I am, a week into MFP and I have not lost a single pound, if anything I may have gained one or two depending on the day.

Help!

Weight loss has little to do with caloris in vs calories out. There is plenty of peer reviewed medical research that shows this.
    The same goes for exercise. It does little to help with weight loss.

I looked at your diary. You are eating far to often, to many carbs and not enough fat. Get educated on what carbs are and how insulin responds. Learn what insulin does and how it suppresses other important hormones. Learn how fat is NOT bad for you and how it helps to produce the right hormones for fat loss.
  • SaraBelle0312
    SaraBelle0312 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    As for the homemade foods, I use that recipe button under Food tab religiously! When you eat stuff regularly, use the recipes button. Also, long lasting weight loss takes time :) Don't give up. Add me if you need support!
  • BR3ANDA
    BR3ANDA Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    Same here. I work FT and have two kids. I just make the time to prepare my meals for the next day. That is better time spent instead of just sitting in front of the TV, which is what I used to do. You can do anything you set your mind tooooooo!

^^This!
    My husband and I own a small business, we have crazy hours! I take 30 minutes every evening after work to prepare our snacks and lunch for the next day. I make dinner when we get home, which never takes more than 30 minutes to prepare. I go to the grocery store once a week and get all the protein, fresh veggies, fresh fruit, and healthy carbs that we need for the whole week. I never plan our meals more than one day in advance. It doesnt take a lot of time, its actually a lot LESS time than driving to get food everyday, or waiting on a frozen meal to cook in the micro. Todays snacks include a cup of grapes with a LF cheese stick and a boiled egg, next is cherry tomatoes with 2 tbs plain greek yogurt mixed with a little ranch seasoning. Total time planning and putting snacks together last night was about 5 minutes.
    Also, it will take some time to see the scale move, if you weigh every day you need to stop, you will NEVER see progress that way, pick a day and a time to weigh, once a week, or once every two weeks, put the scale away somewhere out of sight in between weigh-in days, that the only way I can stay off the scale. The biggest advice I can give is, DO NOT expect to lose 5 or 10 lbs a week, that only happens on TV, and real life just doesnt allow to have time to contribute to weight loss like that. Its not practical. Aim for an average of 1-2 lbs per week if you're in the obese range, even less if you are closer to your ideal weight. Whatever you decide, DONT GIVE UP, you will get used to the changes, just give yourself time to adjust.

Edited to say, nutrition and exercise ARE VERY important for a healthy weight loss & healthy lifestyle. The right kind of carbs are very good for, and the wrong kind of fats are very bad for you. Sure, you might lose some weight if you sat in front of the TV all day long eating nothing but full fat cheese and bacon, but this isnt exactly the best option health wise.
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    I would suggest a few things:

1. Give it more time, like at least 3 weeks.

2. Start tracking your sugar and sodium intake, they are both good indicators of the quality of your food (processed things are high in sodium, and a lot of crap marketed "diet" foods are loaded with sodium and sugar). The recommended amount on MFP for these two things are actually pretty accurate so if you are doubling those numbers you probably need to change your meal plans.

3. I personally see way better results when I eat more protein and less carbs. And I don't mean "low carb". I still eat over 100 grams of carbs a day, but I eat more like 130-160 grams of protein. Most people agree that MFP's default protein setting is too low.
  • rileymama
    rileymama Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Its probbaly been said many times over on here, but give it time. I know its hard to eat right and see no change, but it will come. Just make sure you're drinking your water and try to watch the sodium intake. I drink 2 glasses of lemon water every day, b/c even though I watch my sodium, I still swell from it :( Just keep on going and if you can homemake meals, that's better. Once you put your recipe in, it's there for you, but i know it's time consuming to put in each ingredient. Just know, if you put in the Fast food/restaurant version of a food, it may show more sodium/sugar than your home version. Good luck!!!! Starting the lifestyle change is the first step :)
  • mamaclose
    mamaclose Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I had an initial goal of losing 15 lbs. It took me about 4 weeks after I began to "eat clean" and exercise to see the scale move, and then it was ONE pound! Be patient.

As others have said, use the recipe button. Cut out the processed convenience food meals and ice cream! Eat more fruits, veggies and drink only water!

But most importantly, be patient! The weightloss will come. I have surpassed my initial goal and have lost 23 lbs. total. It will happen for you too!
  • kitka82
    kitka82 Posts: 350 Member
    Options

I meet my calorie goal every day and I am pretty conscious of what I am eating. Yet here I am, a week into MFP and I have not lost a single pound, if anything I may have gained one or two depending on the day.

Help!

Weight loss has little to do with caloris in vs calories out. There is plenty of peer reviewed medical research that shows this.

I looked at your diary. You are eating far to often, to many carbs and not enough fat. Get educated on what carbs are and how insulin responds. Learn what insulin does and how it suppresses other important hormones. Learn how fat is NOT bad for you and how it helps to produce the right hormones for fat loss.

Guess it depends on the person, because for me, weight loss had EVERYTHING to do with calories in/calories out. I lost 60 pounds by counting calories (not even carbs), reducing portions, and eliminating sodas. I exercised 3-5 times a week, tops. It wasn't until a year ago that I started looking at macros (carbs/proteins/fats). It took me two weeks to lose my first pound, but it was all slow and steady from there for about a year. As I plateau, I change something up whether it's my exercise program (change the focus from cardio to weight training), or my diet. I didn't know anything about eating clean at first. You will figure out what works for YOU in terms of diet and exercise. Two things that work for EVERYONE are consistency and accountability. It's not really rocket science. Take things slowly, one step at a time so that you can form new, good habits and make it a lifestyle instead of a quick fix.
  • clobercow
    clobercow Posts: 337 Member
    Options

Help!

Guess it depends on the person, because for me, weight loss had EVERYTHING to do with calories in/calories out. I lost 60 pounds by counting calories (not even carbs), reducing portions, and eliminating sodas. I exercised 3-5 times a week, tops. It wasn't until a year ago that I started looking at macros (carbs/proteins/fats). It took me two weeks to lose my first pound, but it was all slow and steady from there for about a year. As I plateau, I change something up whether it's my exercise program (change the focus from cardio to weight training), or my diet. I didn't know anything about eating clean at first. You will figure out what works for YOU in terms of diet and exercise. Two things that work for EVERYONE are consistency and accountability. It's not really rocket science. Take things slowly, one step at a time so that you can form new, good habits and make it a lifestyle instead of a quick fix.

Well not really. Everyone blames their results on their own made up, or copied from other people, conjecture. "This works because I have results". Sounds familiar? This forum is full of it. I'm not saying this is bad, because, well, it works. When things slow down and people plateau, I see some really off the wall suggestions being made because of the above point. Basically, the blind are leading the blind.

There is one thing that MUST happen to lose fat.

1) You must be in a fasted state (aka not burning food for energy) for the body to burn fat.

Most people do this by reducing consumption without knowing it. Exercise has little to do with it. In fact, most people lose fat in their sleep because they are forced to go into a fasted state.

To optimize fat loss, eating less often to extend the fast, and keeping fat storage hormones to a minimum are key. Being in a deficit helps only to an extent and often can stop because of mismanagement of these factors and more.
  • sugarbone
    sugarbone Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    If you are not losing weight you are eating too much or have a medical condition.
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Wait... WHAT? Am I the only one who noticed OP said she's only been at this a week???

^^^^ THIS.

Be patient young grasshopper.

I know, i was like what the hell??? People talking about sodium, and food and all these irrelevant things. Does sodium make people fat? NO, Does not working out make people fat? No, Does eating junk food make people fat? No. What makes people fat? Eating over their calories.

Sodium can "mask" weight loss, but that's it. Why not recommend other methods of measurements besides the scale??? Scale is a more indicator of success.

Plus as someone said, the OP has only 6lbs to lose? That's not much, plus women usually lose slower than guys. As someone said, be patient, and don't worry about your weight so much. Wait a month, if you don't see signs of improvement, then post again.

lol...a few lone voices in a dessert of blah bla blah......:drinker: