Anyone got some advice on my body fat??

Options
So I just got some new scales as my last ones were starting to mess up alot.
I bought some weight watchers ones which let me put in my details height (5,4) age (21) ect, and it told me this!

I weigh 12st 5
My body fat is 33.7
My water is 48.4
And my BMI 29.9 (yay just out of obese range!)

I've no idea what I started off at other than the fact I was 16stone. So I can't compare!

Just how bad is this, what does the water mean & is it just exercise that reduces body fat?

Any other useless infomation you have stored in your brain you can mention too!

Thanks.

Replies

• ReinaLorenz
    ReinaLorenz Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I have that scale...read the instructions it explains it all.
  • ellie319
    ellie319 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    i wouldnt go off the scale to give you and accurate BF%,there is a 14% margin of error.If you indeed want you BF% try a local university where they can do a caliper test on you for free (I used to do that as a college kid for my practicum) you may even ask for a stress test to see where you stand in your cardiovascular health
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    Those body fat scales are way off nine times out of ten. I used to have the exact same WW one you're talking about. It would tell me one day that my BF was 21% then the next day it would be 42%. Honestly, if you're a healthy weight, you're body fat really won't be an issue.

Both a healthy diet and exercise will decrease body fat, but especially exercise. Strength training and toning cardio are both great for this.
  • gel91
    gel91 Posts: 309
    Options
    I did read the instructions, but it only had a high/medium/low mark for all 3 of them & I was hoping someone would be able to give a bit more detail.

But if there so far off, I won't pay too much attention to it anyway then!! thanks for the replys though :-)
  • fay_pigu
    fay_pigu Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I have same scales, they are fairly consistent - I record the Fat% as part of a weigh in to confirm a downwards trend.

You need to make sure you're fairly dry as it uses an electrical pulse to measure.