Weights and soreness

Options
Hey Guys,

So I have been going to lift weights approx. 2-3 days a week now following some app program and I find I am not getting sore at all. I am 5'7'' and weigh 155 pounds, When I squat with the bar I am using (The bar, and 15-20's on each end) is this enough? I just feel I should be sore to know I am building muscle.... It could be maybe I am doing the same works outs to much?

Replies

• emmoen1
    emmoen1 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I would suggest increasing weight a little or number of reps. You do want to be a little sore but not so sore that you can function the next day.
  • banffkid
    banffkid Posts: 59
    Options
    Sorry I should add I do 8-10 reps 3 sets of each thing I do
  • hongruss
    hongruss Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    It is a myth that you have to be sore from every workout, it is not necessary to feel sore, nor is it a true indicator of whether you have had a good workout. It is an indicator that your muscles are being used in a different way.

Russ
  • emmoen1
    emmoen1 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Sorry I should add I do 8-10 reps 3 sets of each thing I do

yeah if you want. That is the best thing about workouts you can do it however you want. Like my husband wants to build muscle so he lifts heavy weight for 5 sets of 5 reps. I usually do 3 sets of 10 but go up in weight each set and maybe on my last set I can only get 8. One good point to keep in mind is that your last rep should be to almost fatigue in each set. So don't be afraid to go up in weight during your second rep.
  • DaveRCF
    DaveRCF Posts: 266
    Options
    The best thing to do is start out with low weights but keep adding a bit every time you squat, say 5-10 pounds. You will be training your muscles that you use and learning correct form. The more you do the lifts, the easier it will be to do them with higher weight. You may or may not get sore, it depends on the person and probably to a certain extent age.