Should I limit the amount of berries I eat?

Options
I LOOOOVE blueberries and raspberries and quite often I will go to the grocery store and eat all of them in one sitting. Is this a bad thing?

Replies

• sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    unless you are watching carbs, I don't think so. My kids easily sit down and do the same. I eat up to 1cup of blackberries or raspberries with breakfast most mornings.
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Only if it takes you over your calories for the day - and its alot better than eating a whole bag(or even a little bag) of chips or cookies.....
  • macnotes
    macnotes Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I do that too. I LOVE berries and the apparently have a very low GI so they don't spike your blood sugar as much as other fruit like figs etc. Good for fiber too!
  • reojames
    reojames Posts: 96
    Options
    Berries are soooo good for you! Eat all you want!
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    Berries are honestly the best fruit you can "binge" on.

One word of caution though....blueberries and blackberries are very high in fiber. Eating alot of them can make trips to the bathroom a little on the uncomfortable side. My son has found that out the hard way....several times.
  • Carolyn1012
    Carolyn1012 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Our grocery store had strawberries this morning... 99 cents for 16oz. I have a belly ache now, ate the whole container, but only 97 calories lol
  • CRody44
    CRody44 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    I was eating 8 cups of fresh, locally grown barries (blue, black, rasp and straw) until I saw how much they spiked my blood sugar (T2D). Now I'm down to one piece of fruit a day. Sad, I really love fruit, but you gotta listen to your body.
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    If you are watching calories, these should count toward the intake as well. A box of blueberries (those little squared ones from grocery stores) might have more than 200 calories if it's more than 2 cups.
  • StellaIsis
    Options
    Berries are fantastic diet foods! So filled with fiber and anti-oxydents (SP?!).
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Depends on what your goals are.
  • BekahLuv
    BekahLuv Posts: 164
    Options
    I'm not counting calories... at least not yet. My first life change was to stop eating bad foods and drinking a lot of alcohol. Since then I've been eating healthy and drinking more water. I want to wait until I am set as far as that goes and then my next step will be to start counting calories.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Eat all the berries you want! For every bite of berries you eat, that is a bite of something processed that you don't have to eat.
  • rose313
    rose313 Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    If it helps you not to binge on other stuff, definitely eat all you want. A whole thing of blueberries is only 64 cals where I get them, but they're so expensive so I watch my intake for that reason.
  • BekahLuv
    BekahLuv Posts: 164
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback everyone. I figured it wasn't bad to eat a lot of them... especially since it's better than eating a bag of yummy bbq chips... just wanted to know that I wasn't over doing it.
  • JenniferNoll
    JenniferNoll Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I like eating frozen or partially frozen berries. They take a long time to eat, which makes me more satisfied, and I like the crunch.