Is P90x worth it if you have no way to do pullups?

Options
So, I bought p90x a while ago and did it for a couple weeks, long before I found mfp or watched my diet. (Lol, where I thought I'd get ...I dunno.)

I didn't realize pullups were a big part of it - my house is not equipped for pullups. I don't have any doorframe that can handle the pull up bar or using a resistance band in that manner except the single door to my house...and I'd rather not do pullups in front of my neighbors :embarassed: Installing a real one is out of the question too and our tiny house doesn't have anywhere that would support. Obviously this was not a well educated purchase when I made it.

I am starting Ripped in 30 tomorrow, just did the 30 day shred. I am moving on to something after that but torn between Chalean Extreme or P90x (since I have it). But obviously I'd need to sub moves if I do p90x...so in your opinion, is it worth it, or should I just sell my set and take a loss and figure, I goofed? (Not the worse mistake I've ever made. Lol.) If it is worth it to try, can you recommend any exercises to sub? I was using dumbbells to imiate the movements but an angle to increase the resistance. IDK if that really did anything, as I said - it wasn't a terrible educated purchase :P

Replies

• mndamon
    mndamon Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    Do you have any way of rigging up some resistance bands? They're not quite as good as a pull up bar but the first time I did P90X that's what I used. You're already in the hole for the program, I'd find any way possible to finish it.
  • AsellusReborn
    AsellusReborn Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    Do you have any way of rigging up some resistance bands? They're not quite as good as a pull up bar but the first time I did P90X that's what I used. You're already in the hole for the program, I'd find any way possible to finish it.

Nope =/ I was talking to my husband about it - we went through the house trying to figure out a way to make it work. There's nothing strong enough up high enough to support that kind of strain.
  • Matthewgd24
    Options
    well i would suggest getting the door handle things for the resistance bands..i seen them somehwere and they are really cheap, you dont need to build anything for them! unless you could somehow build the doorway frame and then put a pull bar up there

the thing about p90x is that for 10 of the 13 weeks you do pull ups twice a week, so i wouldn't suggest doing the program without a way to work your back in the pull up motion
  • GDWoodruff
    GDWoodruff Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    i bought those sturdy, over the door coat hooks at Target. Put them on the door, close the door till it latches of course. Pull the bands on the hooks and go to town. It works for my very small apartment. Hope it can work for you too.
  • rammsteinsoldier
    rammsteinsoldier Posts: 1,557 Member
    Options
    I use the resistance bands and they are working fine for me. I have made great progress without having to do any pullups.
  • Bluedup
    Bluedup Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    p90 x is definetly worth it! is does so much for your complete body. the pull ups are a big part of it. but any movement is better than no movement!
  • HorganMom3
    HorganMom3 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I am doing p90x right now. I picked up a resistance band kit from Walmart for like $20 and it had a few attachments just for your problem!!! I put mine in between the door and the frame and close the door! Simple and it works.
  • BOGmama2010
    BOGmama2010 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I don't know if this'll help at all. http://youtu.be/UAZR_CugxCc
  • AsellusReborn
    AsellusReborn Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options

...now that I could do :o My front door would be strong enough to deal with that without making me open my door - my problem is that my other doors in my and their doorframes are really thin hollow wood. Hmmm...

Thank you all for the feedback and the ideas, I think I have a winner. I have to admit I was hoping that I'd thought of everything and could just sell p90x and get CLX but I think I have to at least give this a go now. Lol!
  • mrsmark2010
    mrsmark2010 Posts: 220
    Options
    I tied resistance bands around the stair/bannister my first round of p90x. Worked well. Lost about 10 pounds and several % body fat. This time around (p90x/insanity hybrid), i installed a bar in a door frame.
  • jermaine1082
    jermaine1082 Posts: 7 Member
    Options

Nope =/ I was talking to my husband about it - we went through the house trying to figure out a way to make it work. There's nothing strong enough up high enough to support that kind of strain.

I use resistance bands on door and i'm 6'3" when they do them on tape they will show some variations. They work for me now granted not the same as pulling my weight but it does some work cause i can feel it (plus you can wrap resistance bands around wrists shorter they are more resistance). Last time i tryed p90x stopped after about 3 weeks cause of ankle injury, but you can find something that works. For a final suggestion 1 knee slightly leaned forward pulling on angle towards top of door. Andif you skip the pull ups and do jumping jacks while they do them really wont make a big deal. in the 3 weeks i saw considerable muscle growth and weight lose. And good luck p90x is an "XTREAM" workout with or without pull up's,
  • SilkyHotspur
    SilkyHotspur Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I often skip the pullups due to the excessive stress it can put on my gimpy shoulder, instead i'll do other LAT exercises...Lawn Mowers, Seated Back Rows.
  • quixoticmantis
    quixoticmantis Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Quick question for you guys - I'm in the same boat as the op but do a lot of under and over hand lateral pulldowns on a weider machine....I know it's not AS good as a pull up but is that a good substitute?
  • dr_tina
    dr_tina Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I replace the pullups with other exercises too. THere is only one DVD that has a ton of them in it, the rest really don't. Still have gotten great results
  • BOGmama2010
    BOGmama2010 Posts: 599 Member
    Options

...now that I could do :o My front door would be strong enough to deal with that without making me open my door - my problem is that my other doors in my and their doorframes are really thin hollow wood. Hmmm...

Thank you all for the feedback and the ideas, I think I have a winner. I have to admit I was hoping that I'd thought of everything and could just sell p90x and get CLX but I think I have to at least give this a go now. Lol!

You can't beat the sock! :D CLX is great and I love Chalene, but Tony and P90X are my "baby".
  • Musicalglow
    Musicalglow Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I completely skip the pull ups and chin up sections with the lean schedule because I don't have anywhere to pit my bands either. I started P90X Lean routine two weeks ago and I lost 3 lbs and didn't change my diet. My entire body is tighter so I say it works without that section!
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    I'm having problems understanding your house - do you not have door frames? there is a pull-up bar that fits through the doorway and sits on top of the doorframe and the wall takes most of the weight. I bought something like this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DOOR-GYM-XTREME-EXTREME-IRON-MAN-PULL-UP-PUSH-UP-EXERCISE-BAR-/370590178037?pt=UK_Strength_Training&hash=item5648e55af5

Then, if you can't do a single pull-up yet, you can thread enough resistance bands between the two pullup handles and place on knee into the bands to take off some of your bodyweight. It's a real boost being able to do pullups; physically and psychologically.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Your house doesn't have doors and your walls don't have studs? Do you live in a teepee? I bet your neighbors won't have a single negative thing to say if they saw you actively trying to improve yourself. And maybe 10% of P90x is pull ups. I bet doing 90% of that program would make significant changes in your physique.

Spend less time manufacturing excuses and more time manufacturing change.
  • laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options
    For my 1st 2 phases of P90X I used a resistance band to do pull ups. I just couldn't pull up my over sized body. Now I can knock you out 20-25 and at one time could do more. Even still now I use my black band to do pullups when my shoulder is bugging me. So...yes the band will work.
  • hellraisedfire
    hellraisedfire Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    try using two dumbells (one in each hand, start with 5lb or whatever you're comfortable with) and follow the resistance band movements.

ETA: never mind, I see that's what you were doing. tha'ts what I did all through p90x and it worked for me. if you aren't feeling it, you need to increase the weight. honestly, if you aren't going for pure, 100% definition of those muscles in your shoulders/back, just do push-ups or lunges or whatever you like to keep your HR going. it isn't like not doing the pullups automatically means fail.