Any one know ANYTHING about those Visalus Shakes?

Options
A girlfriend of mine is trying to get me to give it a shot... Ive done research but hard to tell which articles are biased... Does anyone know anything about this program? Im skeptical and keep telling her replacing 2 meals a day with 2 90 calorie shakes is insane... but she swears by it. Feedback of anyone who has tried it?

Replies

• Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    A girlfriend of mine is trying to get me to give it a shot... Ive done research but hard to tell which articles are biased... Does anyone know anything about this program? Im skeptical and keep telling her replacing 2 meals a day with 2 90 calorie shakes is insane... but she swears by it. Feedback of anyone who has tried it?

Would you like feedback from someone who has not tried it?
  • LydsVille77
    LydsVille77 Posts: 126 Member
    Options

Would you like feedback from someone who has not tried it?

Absolutely... I think I know the answer but shes starting to make me wonder... Please do tell...
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Consider the shakes as "food" with calories and nutrients, rather than something with magical weight loss properties and it will make sense. Meal replacement shakes are just food.

I think 1 or 2 shakes a day (in addition to regular food) is a fine and convenient way to get nutrition. So have at it as long as you're getting sufficient calories and nutrition. There are better, more versatile options you can go with - like buying a tub of quality protein powder, and mixing it as you see fit with milk, fruit, water, etc.

Think more along the lines of

breakfast, shake, lunch, snack, dinner, shake

rather than

shake, shake, dinner (unless your dinner is like 1400 calories)
  • LydsVille77
    LydsVille77 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Consider the shakes as "food" with calories and nutrients, rather than something with magical weight loss properties and it will make sense. Meal replacement shakes are just food.

I think 1 or 2 shakes a day (in addition to regular food) is a fine and convenient way to get nutrition. So have at it as long as you're getting sufficient calories and nutrition. There are better, more versatile options you can go with - like buying a tub of quality protein powder, and mixing it as you see fit with milk, fruit, water, etc.

Right... apparently you're supposed to replace 2 meals with a shake each and have sensible snacks. But DUH, you replace 2 meals with 90 calories of ANYTHING you're gona lose weight... I think her intentions have a little more to do with the multi-level marketing involved...
  • tdotali
    tdotali Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I was curious about it as well and I personally don't trust it simply cause it seems like the company's focus is on making money and not improving someones health. That being said, I haven't tried it.
    I know that all company's want to make money, but some company's want to help while making money...Visalus didn't give me that vibe.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    I think you need to first evaluate your reasoning for choosing an MRP over an actual meal.

You should understand (and perhaps you do EDIT: Just saw your above reply, so obviously you get it) that consuming a shake instead of eating a meal is going to create a big calorie deficit because presumably, when you compare the kcal intake of two shakes (180kcal) to two meals, you're essentially creating a big calorie deficit, unless of course you're eating a seriously calorie dense dinner.

I'm not a fan of this method, but I don't necessarily think it is HARMFUL. I just think it's silly especially for someone who is already tracking calories. You already can (and do, presumably) create a calorie deficit by tracking your intake and having at least some clue as to what you daily needs are. One big bonus of using food to do this, is that you get to eat things. And eating is fun.

Can MRPs work? Yes, by the above method basically.
    Should you do it? I personally wouldn't, but that's up to you and how you want to reach your goals.

I certainly don't think it sounds like an enjoyable method.
  • cyclerjenn
    cyclerjenn Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    I do use them for my "on-the-bike" meal mixed with electrolytes since they do not upset my stomach to drink while I am working out, but once I'm done with my ride (run or hike) I will use another protein powder to feed my muscles.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options

Right... apparently you're supposed to replace 2 meals with a shake each and have sensible snacks. But DUH, you replace 2 meals with 90 calories of ANYTHING you're gona lose weight... I think her intentions have a little more to do with the multi-level marketing involved...

Probably. She is exactly the sort of customer they're looking for....
  • savageman69
    savageman69 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    think of it this way you want to drink a shake twice a day for the rest of your life instead of food to maintain?.....Counting calories and learning portion control and better eating habits is a far better choice
  • rach7turtle
    rach7turtle Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    ive never bought it but ive been to a Visalus Party and supposedly the powder is packed with nutrients, proteins, sources of vegetables and fruit. You can mix it with basically anything and the powder actually does taste good as well as the shakes you can make. (can be more than 90 cals if you want) But basically its just getting all your nutrients you would (or maybe wouldnt even ) get in a meal and stuff while only taking in 90 calories.

But yes at the same time replacing a meal with anything around 90 calories is going to make u lose weight...but at least this has more of the nutrients you'd be missing depending on what foods you were replacing your meals with. I hope that all made sense cause I'm kind of tired right now Sorry.
  • 916lude
    916lude Posts: 305
    Options
    I thought it was weird also... replace two meals with two 90 cal drinks.. they actually say that or you can just replace one meal.

My mom left some at my house when she visited a couple of weeks back. Stuff tastes like candy haha. I mix it with my whey protein for breakfast, but I don't use it as a meal replacement. I still eat food with it when I have the shake. Helps with a sweet tooth though. The sweet cream one tastes like cake, but I prefer just having a nutritious meal over a shake.
  • mbajrami
    mbajrami Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    I have been doing 2 per day since March 5 and I have lost about 31 lbs doing this.

The shake mix itself is 90 cals. I mix mine with 8 oz of unsweetened almond milk (35 cal) and a scoop of MuscleTech protein powder (120 cal). So my drinks are 245 cal each.

When I reach my goal weight, I plan to continue having 1 as an after workout drink. I enjoy them. The energy benefits are worth it for me. I feel really good.

ETA more info.
  • CaseyP1207
    CaseyP1207 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I have been doing 2 per day since March 5 and I have lost about 31 lbs doing this.

The shake mix itself is 90 cals. I mix mine with 8 oz of unsweetened almond milk (35 cal) and a scoop of MuscleTech protein powder (120 cal). So my drinks are 245 cal each.

When I reach my goal weight, I plan to continue having 1 as an after workout drink. I enjoy them. The energy benefits are worth it for me. I feel really good.

ETA more info.
    I agree! I net 1750 calories and eat plenty. I use it more for the energy and recovery from a workout than weight loss. Mixed with Insanity, I've lost 20 lbs since March 2012. And I keep losing inches!
  • candice382
    candice382 Posts: 60 Member
    Options

YOU GOT IT!! I almost fell for this too but EVERYTHING comes down to burn more calories than you consume.

NOW if you are trying to figure out the correct balance to keep from being hungry and still lose weight I suggest you read YOU ON A DIET. It's been the key to my lifestyle change. It's written by Dr. Oz
  • dcooperp
    dcooperp Posts: 20
    Options
    Been using them for over a year! A wonderful product that gives me the nutrients I wouldn't normally get even if I wasn't dieting (which I have now rephrased to a lifestyle change)! So what if it's a direct sales? Sam Walton's goal was to make money from people shopping at Wal-Mart where most everything sold there is made out of country. Sam Walton's family is pretty wealthy.

It's not for everyone but it has helped so many.
  • yngone
    yngone Posts: 52 Member
    Options

The 90 calories are for the protein shake mix only......... after you add in your milk, fruit, veggies, nuts or whatever your meal replacement easily adds up to depending on what you add to it.

I have not sold any, or signed anyone up, I'm just trying it out as I have more than most to loose, and its working great for me.

The company has the incentive to dangle for customers to sign up 3 and get yours free, well IF its working who wouldn't try to get their shakes for free and help a friend meet their health goals as well, even if they are not looking into the full time MLM thing?

I'm certainly not committing for the rest of my life to drinking MR shakes, and realize that lifestyle and old eating habits must change for the long haul, but its sure helping me get a kick start!
  • smartfitmom3
    Options
    My thoughts are along the same lines as what this nutrition expert had to say about it. http://weightlossandtraining.com/body-by-vi-weight-loss

Calories aren't the only thing that matters you have to take a deeper look at the ingredients.
  • millerll
    millerll Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    Graeme Thomas, who is a respected sports nutritionist and trainer, did an in-depth article on Visalus shakes. To save space, I've placed the link below. To save time, I can summarize: they're overpriced and you get very little nutrition for your money. You're welcome.

http://graemethomasonline.com/body-by-vi-review-is-visalus-a-scam/
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Been using them for over a year! A wonderful product that gives me the nutrients I wouldn't normally get even if I wasn't dieting (which I have now rephrased to a lifestyle change)! So what if it's a direct sales? Sam Walton's goal was to make money from people shopping at Wal-Mart where most everything sold there is made out of country. Sam Walton's family is pretty wealthy.

It's not for everyone but it has helped so many.
    Wut?
  • togden
    togden Posts: 324 Member
    Options

I havent had a chance to read the WHOLE thread yet but I wanted to say while I was thinking about it the POWDER is 90 calories ... once you add your milk, almond milk, fruit, peanut butter, or whatever you want in your shake for the day they easily can equate to being 250 calories to 300 calories each .... For me thats a pretty good breakfast and lunch compared to not eating anything at all .... I personally just had my first 2 shakes today and so I cannot say if they definitely work or not but I figured I would give it a try just as everyone tries something at some point,