Thoughts on Special K Diet?

Options
I saw a commercial about the special K diet? Anyone try it? I need something that creates weekly meals for the whole day and the whole week. I do like special K cereal and other Special K products. With that being said they do create the daily and weekly meals but I wasn't sure if it is totally healthy. Thoughts would be great.

Replies

• Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 Member
    Options
    If it's another "replace a meal or two per day with our product" and eat a regular meal for dinner... well sure that could work depending on your real meal. You've got a calorie goal, meet it and lose weight hopefully at your chosen rate of loss, while enjoying meals of regular filling foods ;)

As for the meal plan etc, just set one up, you can log in advance your meals, see how they compare with your macro targets and shoot towards them. If you get the (insert company name where they are intended for weight loss etc) frozen meals you get a lot of sodium, most of the stuff that we eat anyway can be frozen short term, cook ahead once a week and freeze portions. I'll whip up a big batch of pancakes and freeze them in portion bags /containers. For a month or so they freeze just fine and you prep them just like you would the frozen waffles from the grocers... Pasta dishes freeze fine short term (at least the ones I make)
  • xHelloQuincyx
    xHelloQuincyx Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    its a load of processed crap that will keep you hungry all day.

added to a healthy diet, the stuffs okay. there is no way im replacing two meals for two shakes that are worse then the ones i make myself.
  • hippietofugirl
    Options
    I'm not familiar with that diet but I'm guessing it includes a lot of pre-packaged stuff which is fine for practicing portion control, and you probably would lose weight doing it but its probably not the MOST healthy way to drop pounds
  • ToughTulip
    ToughTulip Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    Why not put some time in it, or get some help ( i will if you would like) and create a daily/weekly meal plan of your own? It would have much better nutrition, more filling, and work just as good.

That diet is just a big promotion to buy their products.
  • hippietofugirl
    Options
    and I agree with the above poster about how that stuff keeps you hungry all day. Its a better use of calories to make your own food - it will keep you fuller longer with less sugar, sodium, additives etc.
  • ErinRibbens
    ErinRibbens Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    It's better to start your day eating protein. That stuff will not fill you up and isn't good for you anyway. yes, you will lose weight if you can stick to it. Is it healthy? No. Try some scrambled eggs and sausage or a whole milk yogurt smoothie for breakfast.
  • deadbeatsummer
    deadbeatsummer Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    Special K do not care about if you are healthy or lose weight. The Special K Diet is a marketing piece designed to make consumers buy 5 boxes of their cereal so that you can follow the programme that coincidentally uses many different varieties of their cereal, despite the fact that eating different flavours of Special K has little effect on your nutrition.

Special K is low in calories but those calories are made up almost entirely of sugary carbs which will leave you feeling hungry agan.

Sure, you will lose weight if you stick to it - after only eating two bowls of cereal (180 cals each?) then a dinner (400-500?), who wouldn't? you'll be starving too!

However there are more filling, less expensive and more nutritional ways to lose weight and keep it off. Do yourself a favour and steer clear from diets, programmes and any weight loss system that is being sold to you.
  • angelalf1979
    angelalf1979 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't do it bc I am in this for the long run and learning how to eat everyday for the rest of my life. I don't see how eating a bowl of cereal for breakfast and lunch is a realistic thing to do for the rest of my life. Also it would seem like one would have to make up for the calories at dinner which is not the ideal way to eat. Breakfast should be your largest meal of the day.
  • Ready4Change05
    Options
    The thing I have is I try to create the weekly meals and do that for a couple days and then I don't have time to do some other days. Plus I am really picky with food and its hard to find meals I like. I'm still trying to find healthy good recipes I like to start planning my meals better. I am just not having any luck because I live with people and they aren't the best support and I always cave into temptations. I am really trying to find something that works for me so figured I'd see all your opinions and I think you all are right.
  • lumina0o0
    lumina0o0 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Things like the special k diet or the slim fast diet work while your on them and don't tend to work if you come off. If you want to do special k cereal for breakfast, it's a good option because it's low in calories. Instead try to add more fruits and vegetables into your diet...no processed things. Make your own smoothies with protein powder instead...Have a salad as lunch with some fruit...keeping working on watching your calorie intake and you'll lose weight on your own without doing a "diet". The reason most people gain back their weight is because they don't teach themselves new habits and learn what is good for their body. They want a quick fix and then go back to eating like they did when they were over weight and expect not to gain it back. It doesn't work like that.
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 Member
    Options
    Temptations always going to be around, special K diet or not.

If it wasn't your room-mates it'll be a coworker in the office who loves to bake and doesn't want to wind up eating it all themselves so they generously bring it in to the office for everyone else to eat, they just love baking and have to do it ;)

Or the non-stop family gatherings on a monthly basis where everything rotates around food.

I'll take a piece of cake / dessert whatever it is they have and carry it with me for a bit while they're focused on food, they see I have some (sliver) and are satisfied that i got some, even if it ends up in the trash, they were happy I "had some" I didn't get bothered to take another piece etc.

Take the recipes you DO enjoy and cook a lot ahead, freeze it, portion it out, whatever you can do that works for you.
  • Ready4Change05
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I'm not going to do it. I was just wondering others thoughts. Thanks again.
  • dcholliday2
    dcholliday2 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I tried it and was hungry! I felt like I was eating carbs all day too! I like special k products, but couldn't handle it.
  • Ready4Change05
    Options
    Temptations always going to be around, special K diet or not.

If it wasn't your room-mates it'll be a coworker in the office who loves to bake and doesn't want to wind up eating it all themselves so they generously bring it in to the office for everyone else to eat, they just love baking and have to do it ;)

Or the non-stop family gatherings on a monthly basis where everything rotates around food.

I'll take a piece of cake / dessert whatever it is they have and carry it with me for a bit while they're focused on food, they see I have some (sliver) and are satisfied that i got some, even if it ends up in the trash, they were happy I "had some" I didn't get bothered to take another piece etc.

Take the recipes you DO enjoy and cook a lot ahead, freeze it, portion it out, whatever you can do that works for you.

Thanks I think Ill try your suggestion. Temptations are getting me a lot because I don't have the support by friends or family and they make me feel guilty. But Ill have to try to freeze foods
  • sabinecbauer
    sabinecbauer Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Any 'diet' whose slogan is "There's so much to gain!" should be avoided :laugh:
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    It sounds great.

If you are flogging Special K.

I'll stick to me bacon and eggs, ta.
  • ChristyRunStarr
    ChristyRunStarr Posts: 1,600 Member
    Options
    its a load of processed crap that will keep you hungry all day.

added to a healthy diet, the stuffs okay. there is no way im replacing two meals for two shakes that are worse then the ones i make myself.

I agree with this completely. I've had the shakes before and some of the cereal. I haven't gone all in for the Special K diet cause I'd eat the cereal and not even an hour later I was hungerer than I had been to begin with!
  • fatguyweightloss
    Options
    Would opt for more nutrient dense food if I was restricting calories. Not much nutrition in any of their products...fiber for filler...processed grains/sugar for calories. Synthetic vitamins/minerals to make the label look good :)
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    I tried it-didn't work for me
  • DianneBoo
    DianneBoo Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I like Special K cereals. I have some at least 12 days a month. I also like their crackers, chips, and bars. But, I incorporate them into my day.

I would much rather prepare/cook my own meals ahead of time. I then know what is in them and can do a good job of portion control.

The crackers/chips/bars I use about 10-12 times per month...as they are incorporated into a snack and/or meal.