Lost 80 lbs, gained a new Life!

Options

Replies

• Calipalm
    Calipalm Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Fantastic story! Thanks for the tips! I didn't get a chance to read it completely but i shall soon! SO bump :)
  • shgreenw
    shgreenw Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Amazing!!! You look so fabulous and I love all of the comments. You are down to earth and realistic about your journey. Congrats!
  • Suezyq47
    Suezyq47 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Wow, you look great...good job! I agree with your statement "start with your food habits, and add exercise as a bonus to help your overall health and fitness level." I lost 36 lbs by concentrating on what I was eating and rarely exercised. I found that if I tried to excerise and restrict what I was eating, that I was too hungry and had very little energy. That doesn't mean that I sat around all the time, but daily chores and work helped to keep a little active without over-doing it in the gym. I also eat the foods that I like but just less of them. I want to lose the weight and keep it off without depriving myself of the foods that I love. Once I get closer to my goal weight, I will incorporate more exercise into my life, but right now I am mostly working on changing my eating habits. Weight loss is 80-90% what you put (or don't put) in your mouth and exercise is a bonus. Great post and great pictures!
  • dfair1967
    dfair1967 Posts: 91
    Options
    Nice job with your weight loss journey. You look great. Thanks for sharing with us and hope you have inspired others to continue to live a healthier lifestyle.
  • Em_runs_away
    Em_runs_away Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    You look amazing and I'm inspired. I'm so glad you have found a new life. Well done!
  • carolyngallagher
    carolyngallagher Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    What a great story - congratulations! Good advice too - best of luck and well done.
  • disasterman
    disasterman Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing!
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,041 Member
    Options
    You look awesome!
  • purebliss24
    Options
    thanks for sharing - you had sooo many good points to share! congrats to your success. cheers!
  • katiejarr
    katiejarr Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing! Love all your points...spot on!
  • joannmdunn
    joannmdunn Posts: 22
    Options
    Congratulations you look amazing!!!! I agree with your philosophy I have been healthy living the last 3 months increasing my activity eating healthier not denying myself anything. When I craved an Oreo I bought the 100 cal packs or the mini Oreos. I ate till I was satisfied and got rid of the rest. I am down 39 pounds 41 to go. I have to say it has not been hard I try to walk or bike everyday. I had surgery 4 weeks ago so I’m just getting back up to 3 miles per day walking but it feels good. Continued success to you!!!!
  • KimL122
    KimL122 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    You look GREAT and thanks for sharing.
  • yerfgirl
    yerfgirl Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Excellent post. Thanks for sharing. Congratulations on your achievements!
  • smartfitmom3
    Options
    Awesome job! Keep up the great work!
  • Aljn27
    Aljn27 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Great job!!!
  • Kelmbrent
    Kelmbrent Posts: 3
    Options
    wow!!!! Your the man!!! congrats!!!
  • jms3533
    jms3533 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    You look fantastic! Great suggestions. Thanks for sharing.
  • MikeDaMotivator
    MikeDaMotivator Posts: 1,144
    Options
    I figure it's time to do a little bragging, and maybe give a little advice. I'm still very humble about the situation because of the total life transformation I had to make in order to lose the weight, but I am very proud of this milestone! In the last 15 months I have lost 80 lbs. (245 lbs. to 165 lbs.), dropped 7 inches in pant size (38 to 31), and dropped my BMI From obese to healthy. Also, in the past year I have run my first 10 k, hiked 13 peaks over 14,000 ft. and I eat healthier than I ever have in my entire life. I am just now transitioning to maintaining mode, but I know it will last the rest of my life, and that doesn’t scare me. So how did I do it?

beforeafter640x528550x454.jpg

I never starved myself during this process, nor did I live at the gym. Mostly I accomplished this goal by knowing what I eat (tracking calories) and knowing how much I weigh (tracking weight). I simply ate fewer calories than I burned in a day. That being said, I still made sure I ate enough to be alert and feel healthy. When I first started I tried to eat around 1300 calories. I work at a desk job and I was not motivated to work out on a regular basis. Some people will argue that 1300 calories for a 245 lb. male is too low, and I would be inclined to agree at this stage of my journey, but I want to be honest about my story. What is important to note here is that at first I added little to no exorcise. The reason I wouldn't recommend going as low as I did is because the transition back to a higher calorie diet is really difficult and takes time. I gained back 15 lbs over the winter because I started eating the way I was before I started loosing weight and my metabolism wasn't tuned for it.

When I decided to get back to loosing I started to add calories to my daily goal, the idea being that I would gradually find the level needed to eat in order to maintain a certain weight. Currently my base calorie goal is 1660, but I try to eat back 100% of calories burned during exorcise, so I typically eat around 1800 to 2200 calories depending on my exorcise level of a given day. What I found was that if you base your weight loss on how much you eat rather than how much you exorcise, you can go a week, two weeks, even a month without exorcising and still lose weight.

Gradually I did start to added exorcise that fit my lifestyle, at first it was going on walks with my dog after work, that led to training for a 10 k, and built up to going on hikes on the weekends. I wanted to do things that I could sustain long term. I didn't try any 30 day miracle workouts that I knew I wouldn’t want to continue doing forever. I also ate back the calories I burned so that I had enough energy to enjoy doing the things I wanted to do. My motto, of sorts, is lose weight with food, and improve health with exorcise. The idea is that you will always struggle with weight if you don’t eat right, so start with your food habits, and add exorcise as a bonus to help your overall health and fitness level.

Permanent changes I made to my eating habits:
    1. I cut out as much processed foods as I could.
    2. I reduced my sodium intake by more than 50%
    3. I gave up red meat (not necessary, but it helped me widen my food palate).
    4. I quit drinking sugary drinks

Things I have learned:
    1. Losing weight is a numbers game. If you eat less than you burn you will lose weight. You still need to eat enough to fuel your body, so plan on a gradual loss instead of fast. This will make transitioning to maintaining easier. Use a scalpel not a chainsaw when cutting the calorie intake. The less stressful/hungry you are during weight loss the easier it is to make the changes permanent.
    2. Don’t try to lose weight with temporary changes. If you try to eat diet foods or do crazy boot camps to drop weight, it is too easy to gain it back when you go back to normal food and exorcise levels. Again try to think long term and make changes that can last. Also eat things you enjoy while losing weight, if you don't like a low calorie food while on a diet, you will just go back to the higher calorie equivalent after you lose the weight. Try to enjoy the calories you eat so it can be a long term change in eating habits.
    3. Cutting sugar from drinks is huge. It seems hard at first because our palettes get used to it and unsweetened beverages taste bitter or bland. I have never been big into soda, but I would down 3 or more Arnold Palmers (Ice Tea and Lemonade) in one sitting. What I did was slowly cut back on the lemonade till I was drinking just unsweetened tea. I realized that once my palette got readjusted to low sugar I actually enjoy the tea alone.
    4. You have to avoid buying your go to snacks. My demise was always chips. I could down a bag of chips while watching TV if I wasn't careful. Obviously everyone who has ever lost weight will tell you, cutting things completely out of your diet will only cause a craving to build up until you binge. What I found was that if I bought tortillas that I used for meals that I had planned ahead of time, if I wanted a few chips to snack on I could bake a few tortillas in the oven, and use salsa to add flavor. This helps control the temptation to binge because you have to actually take a little time to prepare them before you can eat them, this allows you time to plan out how much you are going to eat.
    5. When at all possible cook your own meals. Meal preparation can make a huge difference in calories. If you cook with fresh vegetables and unprocessed meats and keep track of the oils/butters used while cooking you are more apt to accurately assess your calorie intake.
    6. Permanent weight loss requires life changes. It took a lot of self-evaluation and determination. Try to avoid the temptations of quick weight loss, take your time and make small adjustments that last. The sad truth is you will never reach a weight and health level in which we you can eat whatever we want.

Me-1.jpg

Wow!! You never looked bad but you look great!! Congrats!!!
  • allishax9918
    Options
    You look really good! Great job!
  • GreenLifeGirl
    GreenLifeGirl Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    This is totally inspiring!! Thank you for sharing your story, Matt!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!