Teacher Mom worried about School Year Start

Options
Hi! I have only been on MFP for two weeks, but I am very committed and plan to be here long term. I have been spending a lot of time exercising as well as shopping for and cooking healthy meals for my family (my teenage daughter and husband are also on MFP). We are all doing really well, but I am worried that when I go back to work in less than 3 weeks, I will not have the time to exercise and cook as much. I am doing cardio every day at home (Wii, treadmill, walking) and some outdoor activities on weekends. When I was younger I used to be able to get up at 5:30 to exercise, but I'm not sure I can hack that now. I am not worried about my eating, but I am also feeling responsibility for the family staying on track. Any suggestions about how to fit in exercise to a very busy schedule would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you're in an ideal situation with the whole family committed to a healthier lifestyle.

Maybe they can help you around the house a bit more (meal preparation, tidying up etc) and you can workout together as a family or at least work together to develop a schedule that meets everybody's needs (including yours)
  • ZugTheMegasaurus
    ZugTheMegasaurus Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    When it comes to cooking, preparing stuff ahead of time is your friend. On the weekend, I'll cook up huge containers of things like chicken breast, black beans, fresh salsa, and cut fruit/vegetables. Then when I'm busy during the week, it requires almost no effort to throw together something healthy. If I'm at school for 10-12 hours (I'm a law student) then I can pack a cup of cut fruit for breakfast and a burrito for lunch. Or I often go with leftovers, so if I make a stir-fry for dinner (which I can do with all those ingredients I already prepared, so again, easy), I'll make twice what I need and take a serving the next day.

You basically just have to make it easier to fit in the healthy meals than it is to eat out or go to the drive-thru. The way I do it, it takes me more time to go out and get some unhealthy "convenience" food than it does to toss together something at home.
  • Arredondo145
    Arredondo145 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    When it comes to cooking, preparing stuff ahead of time is your friend. On the weekend, I'll cook up huge containers of things like chicken breast, black beans, fresh salsa, and cut fruit/vegetables. Then when I'm busy during the week, it requires almost no effort to throw together something healthy. If I'm at school for 10-12 hours (I'm a law student) then I can pack a cup of cut fruit for breakfast and a burrito for lunch. Or I often go with leftovers, so if I make a stir-fry for dinner (which I can do with all those ingredients I already prepared, so again, easy), I'll make twice what I need and take a serving the next day.

You basically just have to make it easier to fit in the healthy meals than it is to eat out or go to the drive-thru. The way I do it, it takes me more time to go out and get some unhealthy "convenience" food than it does to toss together something at home.

^^^^^ Definitely this! I make health freezer meals that require little to no prep that evening - slow cookers are the bomb as well!
  • basillowe66
    basillowe66 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    If you get back into the 5:30 routine, you and your body will adjust with a week or so you will not feel any different than you did when vyou slept in.
    What is more important, your weight or the extra hour and a half or so sleep?????

Basil

add me to your list of friends and let me know how you are doing!!
  • darias_mommy
    darias_mommy Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I'm a working mom and a teacher, too. so, I know how you feel completely.
    This is my plan, as already agreed on by my helpful husband:

1. I will only eat my planned food that is packed in the morning.
    2. I will continue (I always have been a gym-girl) to schedule time for my workouts after work.- DO NOT GO HOME FIRST!!!
    3. i will not stress over MFP, calories or anything related to losing weight. i know what to do!
    4. I will eat when I am hungry and not out of FLAB- Frustration, Loneliness, Anxiety and Boredom.

You can do it. plus, I always drop a few pounds the first month of school b/c I am running around like a psycho. Look on the bright side- you started early, you are on track and you DON'T teach a foods class. I DO!!! At least you don't have chocolate chip coolies in your face for 3 weeks a ta clip!

Good luck!
  • tlc22
    tlc22 Posts: 7
    Options
    I'm wondering the SAME thing! I head back to work in 24 days and I'm not sure how I will work in my daily workouts. I'll be following other people's suggestions.
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    workouts after work.- DO NOT GO HOME FIRST!!!

Super helpful. Don't give yourself an excuse to relax / be lazy.

I also agree with preplanning meals on weekends (time off). Chicken and salsas last for a week in the fridge. Beans do not. They will keep for a few days so just plan on making more midweek or have a backup food to replace them.
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    Personally I am looking forward to school. The rigorous schedule that I keep for my studies makes it easy to tell myself that I cannot skip any parts of the schedule. I'm very stubborn in that regard. So if I put my workouts and my food prep into my calender as part of my schedule, I will do it.
  • sugarbone
    sugarbone Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    On days you really don't have time to exercise, just eat less. The end result is the same (minus the benefits of exercise to your heart and muscles, of course).
  • ZugTheMegasaurus
    ZugTheMegasaurus Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    I also agree with preplanning meals on weekends (time off). Chicken and salsas last for a week in the fridge. Beans do not. They will keep for a few days so just plan on making more midweek or have a backup food to replace them.
    True, but the nice thing about beans is that they require virtually zero supervision while cooking. As long as you're awake for 90 minutes to turn it off, you can make them while doing something else.
  • hunlun1
    hunlun1 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel, I am a cafeteria manager at an Elem. school, so it will be real challenging for me as well. Looks like we are really pushing more fresh fruits & veggies more than in the past, so that is what I am going to eat. Hopefully for the first 2 wks no cookies, so thats a plus. Plan, plan is all we can do. Stay positive and we can do this. You can go to your cafeteria and get fresh veggies & fruits to help you if you bring chicken or what ever for your lunch. Good luck.
  • Giraffe33991
    Giraffe33991 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I start back tomorrow. I'm way more focused during school!

Here's what works for me: Up at 5:30, walk dogs, workout with a DVD (usually one of Jillian Michaels) At work by 8:30

ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS pack my lunch! I also pack 4 bottles of water to drink throughout the day.

4:15 schools out. After work (if I'm not running with students in the run club), I am outside running or biking BEFORE making dinner. My family has learned that I need my time to get healthy and de-stress. That's their time to do homework.

By the way I am a SINGLE mom of 2 young girls, so I have no one to help or back me up with chores, cooking or shopping. It's all on me.

You just need to prioritize and decide that you are worth it. Good luck! :-)
  • graveflower316
    graveflower316 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Crock Pot cooking. Planned out meals (tasks assigned to each family members) and exercise after dinner.
  • bkesecker
    bkesecker Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I, too, am a teacher mom and share your same concerns. I am new to MFP though and have a serious commitment to losing this weight. I have been very committed to exercise this summer and want to keep up this healthy habit. Luckily, my 15 year old daughter has been making the trek to the gym with me nearly everyday. She has now caught the exercise bug, and we just added her to our gym membership. This means that I will have to go in the evenings with her. This allows us to spend time together and I don't feel guilty about away from her. Dinner is another thing though. We generally eat later and I am the cook. I make a point to plan our dinners for two weeks so I don't make bad choices even if I am tired. My husband is very supportive and does all he can to help out. It sounds like you have the same situation. Since all of your family is on the same page with you, sit down with them and discuss your concerns about your return to work. I am sure they will give you the support you need. Good luck and have a great start to your school year.
  • schaskes
    schaskes Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Wow! Thanks to all of you for your ideas/suggestions! I would love to friend my fellow teachers (and others) so we can support each other. We do plan all of our meals on a weekly basis, and I am lucky enough to be starting at a new school with $1 lunches for teachers, including salad bar and made-to-order sandwiches. I still plan to bring my lunch most days, but if I leave it on the counter (mornings can be a bit hectic) I have a viable backup option. I'm not a gym person, but I am planning to try to work out before dinner on any day that I can. We have a crock pot, but my kids (I have a 10 year old too) prefer simple grilled meats and sides to saucier meals. I have also been thinking about finding my old pedometer and maybe taking advantage of a larger campus and stairs to add some movement to my school day.
  • cmeade20
    cmeade20 Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Crock Pot cooking. Planned out meals (tasks assigned to each family members) and exercise after dinner.

The crockpot is your friend

http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/2008/01/clean-out-pantry-minnestrone-soup.html