Watch out for inaccuracies in database..

Options
people/members have entered many foods into the MFP database. Maybe all of it(members I mean). My point is, be sure to check for accuracy. I am pretty stupid not to have checked the calories in Dynasty Jasmine Rice. I just entered it without thinking. It says for 1/2 a cup of prepared Dynasty Jasmine Rice, 107 calories. That may be correct for a 1/4 cup but not for 1/2. !/2 a cup is 300 or more of the Jasmine Rice brands I buy.

It was my fault and I am not blaming anyone but myself for being too lazy to check, I just want to warn others to take the time to check out entries in our database.

Replies

• julesribar
    julesribar Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Great post!!! I recheck stuff all the time! :wink:
  • gtfitpal
    gtfitpal Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I scan the bar code labels as much as I can with my smartphone. Makes for better accuracy.
  • mfoutch86
    Options
    Ditto! I have also noticed that people tend to only enter the calories and fat, with no info on other important things like protien, carbs and most of all SODIUM. I have to triple check everything, and that takes up alot of time. I know that not everybody is watching their sodium levels, but it helps everybody to fill out the nutrition info as much as possible!
  • sharleengc
    sharleengc Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I usually check the box before I check the database so it's fresh in my mind when I go to add it...I've caught a few inconsistencies as well!
  • BlisterLamb
    BlisterLamb Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I always look for the ones with higher confirmations.
  • Babymomakell
    Babymomakell Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Yep, I always check the entries before I log them. It does help to log your meals before you eat/cook them... therefore you can catch and fix any errors in portions or logging =)
  • natesangel
    natesangel Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    yep took me a while to notice this too, even notice it with my smartphone entries scanned but yeah less often! even the higher confirmations are not always accurate as products are a little different in different countries (seriously, canada to usa values differ quite a bit!)
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i recently found one for guerrero small corn tortilas. the database says a serving size is 3 tortillas but the package says 2 is the serving size.

i ty to pay attention but in general my assumption is that i probably eat 10-15% more calories than what i think i do
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    I've found certain chocolate bars contain absolutely no sugar.
  • HeaderAutumn
    HeaderAutumn Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I wish that when you confirm the nutrition on a product it would store in a foods section or something. So even when you don't eat something everyday you have an easy way to quickly add it knowing it is correct
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    I'm actually more concerned about the macros I am eating than the calories, so I've tried to correct the many inaccurate entries I've found.

Thank you for the heads up to those who may not have known.
  • 4schrocks
    4schrocks Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I scan the bar code labels as much as I can with my smartphone. Makes for better accuracy.

I too like to use the barcode but check that too.....Crazy thing happened earlier this week. I scanned the barcode on my ground coffee and I kid you not it came up with some sort of shake (Probably made with that coffee) that was like 245 cals for a cup. I about panicked and threw my newly bought coffee away until I figured out something was WAY off! :laugh:
  • Muscles_Curves
    Muscles_Curves Posts: 385 Member
    Options

DITTO
  • gatorento
    gatorento Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    i recently found one for guerrero small corn tortilas. the database says a serving size is 3 tortillas but the package says 2 is the serving size.

i ty to pay attention but in general my assumption is that i probably eat 10-15% more calories than what i think i do

Probably a safe assumption for most of us!
  • invisibubble
    invisibubble Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    I always check. Most people get sodium wrong, they see it as 0.2g and put it in the database as 0.2mg when it should be 200mg. And some barcodes come up with crazy random stuff lol
  • tlblood
    tlblood Posts: 473 Member
    Options

This isn't actually always true! About half the time I scan, what comes up does not match the nutrition label.
  • tlblood
    tlblood Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Anything with a nutrition label, I always double check. I often confirm the ones I see that are right and edit the ones I find that are wrong.

My only problem is produce...those don't come with nutritional info, so I rely on what's already here. Any ideas on where we can confirm?
  • lassisar
    lassisar Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Right now, if you look up strawberries, 1 cup is 49 calories. 2 cups is 49 calories, and a half a cup is 39 calories. I honestly have no idea which one is right. But a basic raw fruit should be accurate in the database.

Thanks to everyone who takes the time to verify and correct!
  • lassisar
    lassisar Posts: 14 Member
    Options

This isn't actually always true! About half the time I scan, what comes up does not match the nutrition label.

I'm getting what I scan more than half the time, but errors are out there.
  • invisibubble
    invisibubble Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    Right now, if you look up strawberries, 1 cup is 49 calories. 2 cups is 49 calories, and a half a cup is 39 calories. I honestly have no idea which one is right. But a basic raw fruit should be accurate in the database.

Thanks to everyone who takes the time to verify and correct!
    there are some things that don't have a star by them in the database. They seem to be "true" ones. Like if you look up "table salt", and scroll until you reach "spices, salt, table" that one won't be member submitted.