Cardio THEN Weights Training OR Cardio&Weights Training?

Options
What is the better way to go when it comes to losing weight? Do I stick to cardio workouts and lose the weight first, and then add strength training to tone up after? Or would it be better to do incorporate cardio and strength training?

Replies

• mmanderr18
    mmanderr18 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    bump
  • elijhasmomma
    elijhasmomma Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    What is the better way to go when it comes to losing weight? Do I stick to cardio workouts and lose the weight first, and then add strength training to tone up after? Or would it be better to do incorporate cardio and strength training?

i have the same question! my stamina is NOT where it used to be and i find just focusing on the cardio is a good start for me. once i get a few lbs off i plan to start incorporating some strength training in!
  • GeorgieLove708
    GeorgieLove708 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I don't know what "experts" say, but I'm doing both because I want to do the best I can to keep my skin shrinking with me and toning the whole time.
  • BSLP4
    BSLP4 Posts: 1
    Options
    I have no idea if this is fact or not but I have heard that it is best to do cardio work outs first (in your routine) and then do the weight lifting...but I think that doing both cardio and strength training are a good idea to keep you fit and healthy...I've always enjoyed doing my cardio at the end though...probably because I feel like I have no energy after but that's probably good because then you have to push your body to do the weight work...not 100% sure, just what I heard from a friend who used a trainer for a while.
  • lastaack
    Options
    My trainer tells me to do weights three times a week and cardio on the others. If you do weights and cardio in the same day, do the weights first so you have more energy to put into it. :)
  • Hanna92FitnessFreak
    Options
    I personally get more results with doing both!one Day cardio then weights the next
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options

My personal trainer told me that weight lifting is always better done first. 25-45 minutes of cardio afterwards yields great results.
  • myscaleaddiction
    Options
    Weights first. Weight training is anaerobic and your body can only use the glycogen stored in muscles, not the carbs in your bloodstream. With cardio you burn the carbs currently circulating in your system and only starts to burn glycogen after 30 minutes (moderate cardio). Or so I've heard, I'm not an expert :)
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Strength training 3 times a week and cardio twice tops if you must, IMO.
  • lovza_flirt
    lovza_flirt Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    you should incorporate some strength training in with your cardo, more muscle means more fat burn. I'm not saying bulk up but the more muscles you have the more fat you burn. So building muscle is a good thing. So you might lose more if you start with a few weights now rather then waiting till you lose a few pounds to start.
  • Bunnie_Rex
    Bunnie_Rex Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    This could get interesting. Bumpity bump.
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    Both b/c the more lean muscle you build, the faster your metabolism is and therefore speeds up fat loss. The number on the scale may not go down as quickly but also measure yourself and go by how your clothes fit. If you look at my before and after pix from ChaLEAN Extreme, in the before pic I was 137 (not looking to lose weight) and the after pic I was 136 but I'm a size smaller...I burned fat and built muscle!
  • elelat
    elelat Posts: 117
    Options
    I started to lift weights when I was at 220lbs. I didn’t want to lose muscle while eating on a calorie deficit, and I wanted to work towards not having too much loose skin (toning?). Turns out lifting have been one of the greatest things I am doing. It empowers me!

Oh, and I love the fact that your body still burns calories even long after the workout!

So, under my perspective it is never too early to start lifting.
  • 1SlimShaylee
    Options
    weights along with cardio. as mentioned above weights 3x per week. i'm sure in your mind you have thoughts like "that's how i will look wheni lose 10 pounds (or whatever your goal is), but you won't really look that way unless you incorporate strength training along with your cardio. :) good luck!
  • myth4ever
    myth4ever Posts: 372
    Options
    weight training 1st followed by cardio
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,238 Member
    Options
    Your question is should you be doing both types of exercise. The answer is yes. Cardio will benefit your heart and lungs. Weights will help preserve muscle while losing weight. If you just did cardio you would likely lose a lot of muscle only to have to try to put it back on afterward. If you keep more of that muscle you will get that fit, athletic look much easier.
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    I don't know what "experts" say, but I'm doing both because I want to do the best I can to keep my skin shrinking with me and toning the whole time.

^^this is what I wish I knew when I was losing weight back in 1987. It woulda saved me a lot of work later lol
  • kimhere
    kimhere Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    My trainer has me doing strength training 3 times a week and cardio 3 times but she says I can do cardio everyday and it wouldn't be bad.
  • smilingalltheway
    smilingalltheway Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    This for me too, weights first and then cardio on days I do both, other days just cardio
  • hem8787
    hem8787 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I do both. 3 weight training days with very light cardio (1/2 mile jog and some walking) . Then 1-2 days of higher intensity cardio with no lifting.