Sit-Up, Squat, & Dip Challenge - CLOSED GROUP

Options
Below is the list of MFPals that will be participating in this challenge. I let in the last few stragglers and those that "bumped" without comment. If, however, you don't check in within a few days of each Sunday (or let me know in advance that you'll be late), I'm going to remove you from the list. Fifty-six is a lot to keep track of, so I will appreciate it if you can keep track of yourself!! :)

afteil
amandatim2
amc119
amydarling201
ArtemisXXII
avigneault
baturtle
BrandiD56
Cerdwin
chicksnbunnie
chowells78
cynthia_marie
fitzmaster
foxyforce
freew67
froeschli
gatorento
goodcoffy
greenbaymichk
Iwillblossom
jacqueling
janlange
jnhu72
kdward83
kerripresslee
Kluiver
kristapennie
LatteFix
mariapg25
Metathesis
miatavixxen
Minu135
mistybkarma
MrsSamB
mwoodee
MztRii
NaschKatze86
onyxgirl17
pleytem
Pr2719
robinske
RoseG1
sarah692
Sbehlmer
seizethefray
Stefanie7125
stonea22
Sunshine_Girl
suzysioux
Techdiva34
tomfrnk5
Topsking2010
twinsfan184
wordsmith728
yes_i_can

Please make sure you complete your Initial Test today and post or PM me your test results and starting measurements.

Feel free to start whenever you're ready, but our check-in days will always be on Sundays by 7pm EST, and we will continue until September 15th.

Every Sunday I'll ask you to post (or PM me) how many reps you were able to complete on your last day for each of the three exercises, along with your current measurements for Calf, Thigh, Hips, Waist, and Upper Arm.

Here's how the placement calculation will work:
I will calculate the percentage improvement on reps, average the three numbers.
I will calculate the percentage loss on each of the 5 measurements and average those numbers.
I will add those averages (changing the neg/pos as appropriate) and that number will be used to place you.

Example:
Start: 20 sit-ups, 30 lunges, 7 dips; 18" calf, 28" thigh, 47.5" hip, 41" waist, 15" arm
Week 2: 25 sit-ups, 35 lunges, 10 dips; 17.5" calf, 27.75" thigh, 48" hip, 41" waist, 14.5" arm
Improvement: 25% sit-ups, 17% lunges, 43% dips = average of 28% improvement
Inch loss: 2.8% calf, .9% thigh, -1.1% hips, 0% waist, -3.3% arm = average of 1.2% improvement
Total = 29.2 points

If you send me a left and a right measurement for legs and arms, I will average those two numbers.
I will always calculate improvement for the starting point, not the previous week.

I think that's it! Let me know if you have any questions. I hope everyone enjoys the challenge and cheers each other on! While you only have to check in once a week, challenges always work best if participants post their progress, thoughts, etc. often.

Replies

• mariapg25
    mariapg25 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    just want to confirm, you said the first check in is on august 12 correct? or this sunday the 5th? thanks and very excited about this.
  • yes_i_can
    yes_i_can Posts: 419
    Options
    just want to confirm, you said the first check in is on august 12 correct? or this sunday the 5th? thanks and very excited about this.

You can check in on the 5th as well if you want, but the official week 1 results will be on the 12th. I just want to be sure people get the appropriate rest time they need between the test and the 3 days of week 1. I'll probably just do week one some extra times to fill in the days.

It won't matter for the long run, as I'm always scoring based on improvement from the current week to the original test, so if you're ranked on both Aug 5 and Aug 12 or only on Aug 12 it will still work out :) The important thing is to continue until Sept 15.
  • sarah692
    sarah692 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Woo :) I've started these programs multiple times and always lose my focus after week two or three, but having a group to report to makes me a bit more dedicated than before.
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    Went running today, will do the initial tests tomorrow.... (just posting here so i can find it again :wink: )
  • TrinaJ11
    TrinaJ11 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    bump so I won't lose the thread :)
  • Minu135
    Minu135 Posts: 48
    Options
    bump
  • afteil
    afteil Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Initial measurements (posted these before but I thought it would be easier to find here)
    calf- 16
    Thigh- 28.5
    Waist- 48
    Hip-55
    Upper arm- 16

Initial test stats:
    Sit ups: 31
    squats: 50
    Dips: 7 (lol yay for terrible upper body strength)

For anyone who doesnt have them:
    http://www.onefiftydips.com/
    http://www.twohundredsquats.com/
    http://www.twohundredsitups.com/
  • yes_i_can
    Options

Thanks for posting that - didn't even occur to me! ;)

And, everyone, don't worry about you initial number so much! We have a huge range of levels here, but it's all about improvement, not the actual number. Keep your eyes on your goal, but own your current accomplishments too!
  • kdward83
    kdward83 Posts: 32
    Options
    I posted my measurements on the other post-let me know if I need to post them again here.
    Initial:
    situps 50
    squats 80
    dips 27
    These are supposed to be squats, not lunges right? If they are to be lunges my number will be totally different lol.
    Thanks!!
  • baturtle
    baturtle Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    bump. 8-)
  • miatavixxen
    miatavixxen Posts: 373
    Options
    wish there was a way to add this to a favorites or something.... Bleh.

Initial results were totally mixed:

Sit-ups 30 - Average
    Squats 65 - Excellent
    Dips 15 - Level 1

So onward and upward! Looking forward to doing these on my non-Zumba days!
  • MzGrinch9250
    MzGrinch9250 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    bump
  • mwoodee
    mwoodee Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Just leaving a message so i don't lose the group!! Thanks again for putting this on !
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    Initial test results:
    Sit-ups: 40
    Squats: 50
    Dips: 30 (and ouch oh ouch lol)
  • amc119
    amc119 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Initials:
    Sit-up: 35
    Squat: 30
    Dips: 20

Should've done this before my workout, not after!
  • BrandiD56
    BrandiD56 Posts: 103
    Options
    Initial test -

Dips - 4 - no upper body strength
    Situps - 40 average
    Squats - 30 good
    Pushups - 10

I doing the pushups to help with my upper body strength.
  • yes_i_can
    Options
    Is everyone feeling as sore as I am from the initial test? I'm good at squats and sit-ups, but I think those dips may be the death of me!! ;)

I'll post a list of missing info tomorrow for whatever I haven't received yet.

Keep it up, all!!! :D
  • wordsmith728
    Options
    *bump*
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    Weight 158.3 lbs
    Calf: 14"
    Thigh: 22"
    Hip: 38.5"
    Waist: 29"
    Chest: 35.5"
    Upper Arm: 11"

Initial tests:
    Sit ups: 21
    Dips: 12
    Squats: 31
    Push ups: 12

plenty of room for improvement i am afraid to say... I've got to watch my wrists on those dips. i know i should do some push ups too, and if i throw them in with this plan, i'll actually keep track of them :wink:
  • sarah692
    sarah692 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Is everyone feeling as sore as I am from the initial test? I'm good at squats and sit-ups, but I think those dips may be the death of me!! ;)

I'll post a list of missing info tomorrow for whatever I haven't received yet.

Keep it up, all!!! :D

I was surprised to feel soreness in my legs today! I do squats all the time with various workouts, but I guess doing them 61 times in a row is gonna lead to some soreness. haha