water.

Options
I am just wondering (mostly hoping I am not the only one), but does water ever make you nauseous? I try to include it into my diet more, but every time I drink it, I feel nauseous and want to puke it all back up. I've tried drinking some bits of it at a time, but it leaves this awful taste in my throat. It happens with all water: Dasani, tap, etc. Does this happen to anyone else?

Replies

• Merithyn
    Merithyn Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a bit of reflux. Does it happen with all drinks, or just water? Might want to see a doc if possible to explain what you're dealing with.

Do you drink water with food or on its own? Do you try to mix it with anything like lemon, tea bag, etc? Have you tried drinking it hot, cold, and tepid to see if temperature makes a difference?
  • amore78
    amore78 Posts: 175
    Options
    it happens to me too. but i add gatorade power, to give flavor,i buy it in cosco, and taste really good.
  • onlykatherinee
    Options
    I spoke to a few nurses (one being one of my teachers, the other my aunt) and they both gave me different answers. One says just don't drink water anymore and only drink things that contain mostly water, the other says to get it checked out. It happens with only water. I drink it with and without meals. Ice cold. I can drink it just fine when it's mixed with something, such as the Crystal Light Lemonade Packets. It's only when I drink it straight up do I get sick.
  • onlykatherinee
    Options
    Yeah. I've stuck to either drinking Gatorade or buying to Crystal Light packs. I'm just trying to cut the caffeine out of my life.
  • Springfield_Rocks
    Options
    Ice cold may be the problem. I know that colder water burns more calories, but it makes me incredibly nauseous too. I drink room temperature now and have no more problems. You may want to try that. :smile:
  • Merithyn
    Merithyn Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I spoke to a few nurses (one being one of my teachers, the other my aunt) and they both gave me different answers. One says just don't drink water anymore and only drink things that contain mostly water, the other says to get it checked out. It happens with only water. I drink it with and without meals. Ice cold. I can drink it just fine when it's mixed with something, such as the Crystal Light Lemonade Packets. It's only when I drink it straight up do I get sick.

My mom - a nurse - is always of the "then don't do that" mentality, which is an option. Stick to mixing your water with low-cal flavorings like lemon juice, Crystal Light, etc. and avoid ice cold water.

But if it really is reflux, you could see bigger issues down the road. If you have insurance, it might be worth the time to go in.
  • onlykatherinee
    Options
    Ice cold may be the problem. I know that colder water burns more calories, but it makes me incredibly nauseous too. I drink room temperature now and have no more problems. You may want to try that. :smile:

I'll try that. Thank you! c:
  • ccole4
    ccole4 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
  • ccole4
    Options
    :smile: colder water burns more calories??? AWESOME!
  • saragato
    saragato Posts: 1,154
    Options
    Have you tried filtered water? I always notice tastes with tap and bottled water no matter how much they claim it's clean, but never when I drink water I get through the filter on my faucet. You might be reacting either to what's in the water or the taste itself. Also chugging it like some do sodas and whatnot can leave you feeling a bit ill, it's best to sip or take just mouthfuls at a time.

And I've never heard the "cold water burns more calories" thing. I doubt it's true. Some people do drink water at room temperature saying it's easier to get down though less satisfying as far as thirst quenching when you're warm/hot.
  • onlykatherinee
    Options
    My mom - a nurse - is always of the "then don't do that" mentality, which is an option. Stick to mixing your water with low-cal flavorings like lemon juice, Crystal Light, etc. and avoid ice cold water.

But if it really is reflux, you could see bigger issues down the road. If you have insurance, it might be worth the time to go in.

If I wasn't so stubborn, I'd go to the doctor. I will avoid everything if it means not going to the doctor. But I'll definitely pick up more Crystal Light packs, and start drinking water at room temperature.
  • HelloSweetie4
    HelloSweetie4 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    You should try a spalsh of lemon juice in it. It helps with mausea and if it's a reflux issue, it will counteract that as well.
  • ccole4
    Options
    Have you tried filtered water? I always notice tastes with tap and bottled water no matter how much they claim it's clean, but never when I drink water I get through the filter on my faucet. You might be reacting either to what's in the water or the taste itself. Also chugging it like some do sodas and whatnot can leave you feeling a bit ill, it's best to sip or take just mouthfuls at a time.

And I've never heard the "cold water burns more calories" thing. I doubt it's true. Some people do drink water at room temperature saying it's easier to get down though less satisfying as far as thirst quenching when you're warm/hot.
    Maybe its cause ur body has to work harder to get it a different temp? idk lol sounds good tho
  • bulbadoof
    bulbadoof Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    If I'm not thirsty and I force myself to drink anyway to meet my number, I am often met with nausea. I always considered it my body's way of saying "no thank you" and haven't really worried much about it beyond that, but if it happens to you all the time even when you are thirsty, I'd recommend checking it out.

Also, the effort it takes your body to heat up ice cold water burns about 70 calories for 8 glasses. It's a free tablespoon of salad dressing or veggie dip, I guess, but I wouldn't count it myself.
  • jsourinho
    Options
    Ice cold water actually does burn calories because your body is trying to regulate the temperature back to a "normal" state.

Here is a link... http://health.howstuffworks.com/wellness/diet-fitness/weight-loss/question447.htm

:)
  • saragato
    saragato Posts: 1,154
    Options
    Ice cold water actually does burn calories because your body is trying to regulate the temperature back to a "normal" state.

Here is a link... http://health.howstuffworks.com/wellness/diet-fitness/weight-loss/question447.htm

:)

You also burn calories sleeping, doesn't mean you burn a grand lot of it.
  • JxInspire
    Options
    I never drank water until recently, as I had the same problem you did. No matter how little water I drank it immediately made me sick. Now I can drink water, but only purified, really. I can do tap water a bit, but I can't drink spring water at all. The way I got over it was to carry a water bottle with me and take swigs throughout the day, eventually it didn't make me feel sick anymore. So, I would say keep adding flavour to your water, but try to drink regular water little by little.