Frustrated, need help with low/no carb diet?

Options
Hi. 3 days ago, I started a low carb diet. I'm not eating fruits, legumes, or grains until about a week from now, when I'll start adding them in. So I've been eating eggs (the only dairy I eat) and vegetables. But I'm frustrated and hungry. What else is extremely low carb, or completely carbless?

(btw, I haven't been using my diary hardly at all, so: i literally have only eaten eggs, spinach, lettuce, carrots, bell peppers, broccoli, cauliflower, and asparagus.)

Replies

• Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    Get a really good multi-vitamin IMO.

No clue because I love carbs, but I think it will be rough to do low carb without meat... yeah?
  • orishp
    orishp Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    first of all you cannot possibly go 100% carb free

how about lean protein: chicken, fish, lean meat, those are all great sources of protein and have pretty much no carbs

what about protein shakes/bars. When I was limiting carbs to 50 g/day, and couldn't have dairy, those were my alternate options for breakfast
  • sugarbone
    sugarbone Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    any reason you're not eating meat? chicken steak turkey fish? yum. especially steak, since you barely have to season it at all (whereas I like my chicken in teriyaki or hoisin - sugar). a fave of mine on a low carb diet was scallops pan seared in sunflower oil then cooked in a little herbs and butter.

edit: and while I wasn't on atkins, and eventually abandoned low carb out of boredom, the atkins protein bars are pretty yummy when you are weaned off sugar. if you're used to sugar foods they're gonna taste like s*** though lol.
  • orishp
    orishp Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    nuts are also good fats, and are low carb. For when the hungry strikes, but be careful because they are very calorie dense
  • cmeade20
    cmeade20 Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    I myself throughly enjoy my carbs but if you're that hell bent on it check out kalyn's kitchen or google paleo or primal recipe blogs for ideas.
  • SkyMusic
    SkyMusic Posts: 43
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian, that's why I said no meat.

Thank you for the ideas. I'll explore multivitamins, bars, and I'll google some paleo diet stuff. Thank you
  • tobielauren
    tobielauren Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Hi. 3 days ago, I started a low carb diet. I'm not eating fruits, legumes, or grains until about a week from now, when I'll start adding them in. So I've been eating eggs (the only dairy I eat) and vegetables. But I'm frustrated and hungry. What else is extremely low carb, or completely carbless?

(btw, I haven't been using my diary hardly at all, so: i literally have only eaten eggs, spinach, lettuce, carrots, bell peppers, broccoli, cauliflower, and asparagus.)

If you are doing low/no carb, you are going to be cranky, sluggish, tired for a while. I could tell you the science behind it but I would need to get my textbooks out and don't feel like making anyone fall asleep.

Spaghetti squash is a great sub for pasta. Get creative with herbs and spices. Mix things up and make sure you are getting enough veggies (low carb) as well as meat and dairy. Good luck :)
  • disneylatte
    Options
    I too started a low carb diet 9 days ago. I am eating much more dairy along with meat and lots of fruit and veggies. To date I have lost 6 lbs. and do not feel deprived or cranky....surprisingly. I stick to a 1200 calorie a day diet and about 160 g of carbs, but I never hit that mark. My dr. Suggested 20-30 g of carbs A meal and 2 15 g snacks. She told me this was close to the diabetic diet. So far so good. Of course everyone is different and you never know what will work for you.

Also, I do Zumba 2-3 times a week. That definitely shakes the calories out of you. Best of luck.
  • jonilynn70
    jonilynn70 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I was surprised to read this post that 160grams of carbs is considered low carb? I have had to stick to 25 g of carbs a DAY to be considered low-carb. And I sure miss fruit. I would not lose any weight at 160 grams a day. You are very lucky!!