Nutella?

Options
I like to put a tablespoon of nutella on my toast sometimes and top it off with a sliced strawberry, but recently someone told me that nutella was really bad for me and I shouldnt eat it. Is this true? I actually dont think I have the willpower to give up this magical part of my life so PLEASE tell me I dont have to :(

Replies

• queenhiphop
    queenhiphop Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    read the label and judge for yourself as you will get lots and lots of differing answers here :)
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I like to put a tablespoon of nutella on my toast sometimes and top it off with a sliced strawberry, but recently someone told me that nutella was really bad for me and I shouldnt eat it. Is this true? I actually dont think I have the willpower to give up this magical part of my life so PLEASE tell me I dont have to :(

I think a tablespoon "sometimes" is fine. It has a lot of sugar and little nutritional value, but if you enjoy it and can eat it in moderation (as you describe) then have at it!
  • shivles
    shivles Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    It's chocolate, milk, sugar paste at the end of the day. Eat it once in a while but not every day
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    A good alternative, if you can find it, is the new chocolate Philadelphia cream cheese.
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    Apply the 80/20 rule and cut yourself some slack, if you love it, be honest about it and make it work within your plan.

I am pretty strict with my diet all day then I destroy 'nutritional perfection' with red wine.

We all need something :)
  • stopdropandlose
    stopdropandlose Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    If it's occasional, then I don't think it would be too bad.

You could also try making your own Nutella at home so it's not as bad for you.

http://theeccentriccook.blogspot.com/2011/07/homemade-nutella.html
    http://blogs.babble.com/family-kitchen/2011/02/24/homemade-nutella-oh-yes/
  • keirakavanagh
    keirakavanagh Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    thank you :)
  • mrsmarit
    mrsmarit Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I really like this as an alternative... you do have to heat it up a bit to make it smooth.

Justin's Natural - Chocolate Hazelnut Butter, 2 Tbls - 1 serving

Calories 180
    Carbs 12
    Fat 16
    Protien 4
    Sodium 66
    Sugar 8

Nutella - 2 tbsp - 1 serving

Calories 200
    Carbs 22
    Fat 11
    Protien 3
    Sodium 15
    Sugar 21

So the organic one is lower in sugar but higher in sodium. It really depends on what you are looking to reduce.
  • hippietofugirl
    Options
    try dark chocolate dreams peanut butter. its DELICIOUS and better for you
  • sugarbone
    sugarbone Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Don't think of "certain foods" being bad for you. Think of their components as being bad for you.

Things that are in nutella I would not eat:
    - lots of sugar
    - hydrogenated oils

Because it is a nut butter it is also high calorie. So nutella specifically won't ruin your diet, but you should treat it like a dessert or energy to go do cardio because it's so sugary. If you love nutella then find a way to make room for it in your diet. For example, if I want some nutella on toast (I don't eat bread but bear with me) then I will adjust my lunch and/or dinner to have less carbs and sugar to make room for it.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Don't think of "certain foods" being bad for you. Think of their components as being bad for you.

- lots of sugar
    - hydrogenated oils

Because it is a nut butter it is also high calorie. So nutella specifically won't ruin your diet, but you should treat it like a dessert or energy to go do cardio because it's so sugary. If you love nutella then find a way to make room for it in your diet. For example, if I want some nutella on toast (I don't eat bread but bear with me) then I will adjust my lunch and/or dinner to have less carbs and sugar to make room for it.
    Nutella does not have hydrogenated oil.
  • sugarbone
    Options

- lots of sugar
    - hydrogenated oils

Nutella does not have hydrogenated oil.

Really? Might be a regional difference then. The back of my boyfriend's jar has hydrogenated palm oil listed as the 2nd or 3rd ingredient, but when I lived in Canada I think it was 'modified'.
  • MissNations
    MissNations Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    Crack in a jar.
  • iKapuniai
    iKapuniai Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    I used to eat a banana with 2 tablespoons of nutella every day for breakfast years ago, and nothing bad ever came of it. If your calorie budget can accomodate it, eat it. I could never give up the things I love to eat for the sake of losing weight, because that's not what a lifestyle change is about. ;) You can eat unhealthy things and still be healthy - ask the Olympic athletes that have dinner at McDonalds, I'm sure they'll agree lol

Love and Alohas,
    Ihilani Kapuniai

Edit: You can STILL eat unhealthy things OCCASIONALLY and still be healthy* - not saying all the time. For those that wanted to point that out. lol
  • jadedzen
    jadedzen Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    my tatic is i got with a guy who eats 4 white wonderbread toasts slathered in nutella. seriously slathered. have him talk at you while he's doing it about how healthy it is. repeat for 4 years.
  • sugarbone
    Options
    I used to eat a banana with 2 tablespoons of nutella every day for breakfast years ago, and nothing bad ever came of it. If your calorie budget can accomodate it, eat it. I could never give up the things I love to eat for the sake of losing weight, because that's not what a lifestyle change is about. ;) You can eat unhealthy things and still be healthy - ask the Olympic athletes that have dinner at McDonalds, I'm sure they'll agree lol

Love and Alohas,
    Ihilani Kapuniai

Edit: You can STILL eat unhealthy things OCCASIONALLY and still be healthy* - not saying all the time. For those that wanted to point that out. lol

Yeah but those olympic athletes eat 6000-12000 calories a day and consume junk food out of necessity when healthy food just isnt calorie dense enough. I understand your point, though.
  • Rositacon
    Rositacon Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    This is a heartbreaker. A nutritionist told me to eat more "nut butters" for protein and good fats, so without reading the label (my bad), I started to use some Nutella, thinking it was just kind of like peanut butter, but hazelnuts. Now what am I going to do with a 3/4 full jar??
  • sugarbone
    Options
    This is a heartbreaker. A nutritionist told me to eat more "nut butters" for protein and good fats, so without reading the label (my bad), I started to use some Nutella, thinking it was just kind of like peanut butter, but hazelnuts. Now what am I going to do with a 3/4 full jar??

Use it to make nutella based desserts and give it away! Nutella was actually sued at one point because of all the marketing they do promoting it a healthy food (especially for 'active growing kids') when it's just nasty *kitten* modified palm oil and sugar. I feel ya.
  • halfcrazy113
    Options
    If you love it that much then don't give it up. Just adjust what else you eat. It's made with Hazelnut and nuts are healthy even though they are high in fat and all of that. I feel you though. I love me some Nutella.
  • Eafears
    Eafears Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Nutella is delicious and like anything else in moderation it's fine. I find if I tell myself I can't have something then I want it more but if I don't I will only really "want" it once in a while. When I really want some I throw it in my greek yogurt with some strawberries and it's like eating chocolate mousse.