24 hour fast

Options
2»

Replies

• DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    No benefit. It will usually cause a bit of over eating the previous and following says, minimizing the caloric loss for the week.

Additionally, the effect it will have on your mood and energy levels will be significant.

Truthfully, there is no silver bullet.
  • DizzyLinds
    DizzyLinds Posts: 856 Member
    Options
    No benefit. It will usually cause a bit of over eating the previous and following says, minimizing the caloric loss for the week.

Additionally, the effect it will have on your mood and energy levels will be significant.

I must admit, since doing two 24 hour fasts, I've felt less ravenous for food than when I eat normally. I've been able to function ok by drinking lots of water and keeping busy.
  • Toumani
    Toumani Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    If you've got the time, give this article a read:

http://www.leangains.com/2010/03/intermittent-fasting-set-point-and.html

It's about inermittent fasting (this guy recommends 16 hours instead of 24) and its effects on leptin levels. He also provides more reading in some links. If you do a little extra reading, it really gives you an understanding of how intermittent fasting works.

(PS. This BS about "instant" starvation mode after a short period of fasting makes me want to throw the computer out of the window!) :explode:
  • DanaDark
    Options

I must admit, since doing two 24 hour fasts, I've felt less ravenous for food than when I eat normally. I've been able to function ok by drinking lots of water and keeping busy.

Many people experience similar to this. After not eating for a while, they suddenly not feel hungry.

Issue with a 24hr fast is that daily energy expenditure shoots down incredibly. Without the daily nutrition, the body simply does not perform as many tasks as it normally would. It will also pull protein from your muscles to do some vital tasks, thus reducing muscle strength/size.

Overall, the calories used a day under a 24hr fast would probably be around 50% of normal. So, you're not really getting the bang for your buck as most would assume.
  • DanaDark
    Options
    If you've got the time, give this article a read:

http://www.leangains.com/2010/03/intermittent-fasting-set-point-and.html

It's about inermittent fasting (this guy recommends 16 hours instead of 24) and its effects on leptin levels. He also provides more reading in some links. If you do a little extra reading, it really gives you an understanding of how intermittent fasting works.

(PS. This BS about "instant" starvation mode after a short period of fasting makes me want to throw the computer out of the window!) :explode:

Aye, no insta-starvation!

I am a fan of Intermittent fasting. I think its a pretty decent system. Is usually how I roll anyway. 8hrs sleep, 6hrs before my first meal, last meal 2 to 3hrs before bed. I definitely recommend it to people.
  • PrncessBre
    PrncessBre Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    please look into intermittent fasting (either google or there's an IF group on MFP) like my faves are EatStopEat and Leangains for accurate data.
    i exercise on 24s and have a TON of energy..
    i usually do dinner to dinner, and the 'point' of ESE is to do 1-2 24's a week to have the calorie deficit instead of breaking it down over 7 days.. as long as you break the fast with 'normal' dinner/calorie amounts..
    i love IF, i try to do 1 24h a week, with everyday fasting of 16/8 LG style..
    IF gives me appetite control, unbelievable focus, a kind of nutrition recharge, energy, etc.. i feel like i'm in control of my eating instead of eating in control of me..

^^^This
  • DizzyLinds
    DizzyLinds Posts: 856 Member
    Options

Many people experience similar to this. After not eating for a while, they suddenly not feel hungry.

Issue with a 24hr fast is that daily energy expenditure shoots down incredibly. Without the daily nutrition, the body simply does not perform as many tasks as it normally would. It will also pull protein from your muscles to do some vital tasks, thus reducing muscle strength/size.

Overall, the calories used a day under a 24hr fast would probably be around 50% of normal. So, you're not really getting the bang for your buck as most would assume.

As advised by my PT, if I do a 24 hour fast, chill out, sleep and rest!
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options

Its just another helpful tool, with lots of benefits.
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    The key with a fast is that you should still be getting the same WEEKLY deficit. Hypothetically, you burn 2000 cals a day, so you will burn 14000 cals a week. To lose 1 lb a week, you want a weekly deficit of 3500, so you should eat 10500/week. This can be accomplished with 7 days of 10500/7=1500 cals/day or 6 days of 10500/6=1750 cals/day.

For me, the leangains style of eating complimented my natural hunger schedule. I also did a 36 hour fast and I felt fine for the 24 hours, just felt icky when I got to 36. Just make sure you don't use it as a way to eat too few calories, that's not healthy!
  • KF500T
    KF500T Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I love the 24 hour fast. I've suffered from an undiagnosed gluten allergy for years and its caused tons of damage. Fasting for 24 hours once a week has helped me so much in regards to my digestive issues (along with not eating gluten, obviously) and it actually gives me more energy.
  • lisaisso
    lisaisso Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    thank you :wink:
    I don't understand why people would comment with out education/experience of it.

There are a lot of benefits to a 24hr fast.

1. Increased GH(helps preserve muscle tissue)
    2. Increased catecholamines(adrenaline)
    3. Gives your digestive system a rest
    4. More energy(No energy is being wasted digesting food)