Resting pulse rate less than 60bpm

Options
RamTX22
RamTX22 Posts: 165 Member
I was just curious if a pulse rate of less than 60 Bpm is normal and or healthy, recently my resting pulse rate has been between 48 and 55 bpm . I had weight loss surgery back in November and have lost over 140 pounds , right now I exercise about 5 to 6 days a week, doing about 30 to 45 minutes of cardio work a day . I'm just frwKing out a little cause I was used to my rate being above 70 bpm. I'm thinking about making an appointment with my doctor.

Replies

• mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    All I've read is that an elevated RHR is a sign of overtraining, and that a low RHR is a sign of good health (an efficient cardiovascular system), and that it's largely genetic. But I think a call to your doctor's office to see if a visit is warranted would be a great idea.
  • disasterman
    disasterman Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    I agree it's best to speak to your doc, just to be sure.

Having said that, for the past two months I've been working out 4-6 days/week either circuit training with weights and cardio or running (2-3 miles) and my resting pulse has dropped from ~72 to ~50. Sometimes it's as low as 45.

44 yrs
    5'11"
    211 lbs. (have lost about 12)
    Bodyfat percentage is dropping too!

Good luck and congrats on your healthy lifestyle.
  • MCsAngel2
    MCsAngel2 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    See your Dr. Below 60 is not ideal (as per my conversation with my Dr. last time around)...he said they reeeeeaaallly want to see it over 60. Mine is always in the 60s and has only dipped below a couple of times so we've not had to do anything about it yet.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    Cardio leads to a lower pulse rate as the system becomes more efficient and the heart is able to pump a larger volume of blood with each beat. Mine is usually 39-40 when I first wake up in the morning. Before I started running again it was in the 60s.

Another cause of a low pulse rate is heart disease.

SInce you can link your lowered pulse rate directly to weight loss and increased exercise I expect it is an artifact of a stronger heart and more developed cardiovascular system. To be absolutely sure though you would have to be tested by a Dr.
  • tookarook
    tookarook Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    http://www.topendsports.com/testing/heart-rate-resting-chart.htm

this is one site to see a chart...many variables go into it. I usually have a resting heart rate below 60 and feel great. Of course I have been doing tons of cardio and running lately too
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    See your Dr. Below 60 is not ideal (as per my conversation with my Dr. last time around)...he said they reeeeeaaallly want to see it over 60. Mine is always in the 60s and has only dipped below a couple of times so we've not had to do anything about it yet.

Mine's 52 (I run, bike etc) and my cardiologist was ecstatic. In the absence of heart disease a low resting heart rate is a good thing, many highly trained endurance athletes have RHRs in the 40s.
  • Woolooloo
    Options
    Mine is 40, my doc loves it. It's a good thing if it is because of exercise and a strong cardiovascular system.
  • JamesGGAnderson
    JamesGGAnderson Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I get worried when mine is OVER 50. I believe there are a few cyclists who's RHR is in the low 30's.
  • lynda155
    lynda155 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I am 40 and my resting heart rate before beginning my journey was in the 80s... One month in and my Resting heart rate averages about 63... I just did my first physical with my dr and she was very happy.
    I agree if you have questions, please, seek the advice of your DR. Best wishes and Healthy Life!!!